Newbie to forum

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not modelling :D
I'm getting on in yrears and always thought of getting back into it, after making numerous Airfix/Revell and Aurora kits when younger.
So, My father in law who has passed away now was and electrical officer on HMS Triumph (I think).
They flew Seafires, so I bought myself a Revell Supermarine Seafire Mk XV 1/48 vintage model Kit.
i haven't got it yet, so not sure of the colouring / camouflage colours.
Does anyone know, so I can order them before it arrives?
I'm bound to want to get started on it straight away :D

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
A warm welcome to a great forum. We are a friendly bunch and between us we have the answer to most questions.
Always special to build a model of something that you have a connection with.
When your kit arrives the instructions should include a painting guide and there will be a fair few hours work before you get to need paint so you'll have time to order what you need.
You have to be a subscriber to edit posts - best £10 a year you'll spend.
Looking forward to seeing your Seafire build.
Jim

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Many thanks Jim.
When I have a bit more time, I'll search through some of the posts.

Yes, I married (for the second time) late in life, so didn't get chance to interrogate my wife's father ;)
I assume photo's can be posted on here then?
When i eventually get it finished, I'll post one of it so you and others can pick holes in it :-D

Have just subscribed, so won't have any excuses for misspelt words ha ha.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Bob..... welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing what you post up, most all of us won't be counting the rivets on your builds as we are more interested in seeing you progress and improve your modeling skills as you go along. Hope you enjoy your time here and happy modeling.;)

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not modelling :D
I'm getting on in yrears and always thought of getting back into it, after making numerous Airfix/Revell and Aurora kits when younger.
So, My father in law who has passed away now was and electrical officer on HMS Triumph (I think).
They flew Seafires, so I bought myself a Revell Supermarine Seafire Mk XV 1/48 vintage model Kit.
i haven't got it yet, so not sure of the colouring / camouflage colours.
Does anyone know, so I can order them before it arrives?
I'm bound to want to get started on it straight away :D

Possibly Dark/Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky - depends on the particular period you're looking to portray mate. Incidentally, welcome to the Forum!
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and welcome hope you enjoy ut here.
As for your Seafire, the camouflage would gave been dark slate grey and extra dark sea grey.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Bob!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob
Welcome to the forum. Post your build whenever you like. Nobody will pick holes in it, they will just support you and give advice if asked. This is a negative Nellie free zone…..

Reactions: JR

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Have just subscribed, so won't have any excuses for misspelt words ha ha.

Maybe the best investment you'll ever make Bob. There's a wealth of experience and knowledge on here which the guys are more than willing to share, although probably not from me. I even got my user name wrong!

For all the guys that have just joined - not you old fogeys who've been here as long as me and have seen this before - there's a bonus point if you can tell me where my user name comes from, and a surprise present if you can tell me what it should be!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thank you for all your welcomes guys.
I love the photo Dave. I wonder if one of those sailors is my wife's Dad ;)
Bob,
the Triumph was in the Mediterranean February 1947, - August 48, whilst operating Mk.XVIIs - they had been replaced by Mk.47s by the time Triumph became involved in the Korean War. If your father in law was on the Triumph during those dates, then there is a possibility!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A late welcome from me Bob. Always someone to answer any questions you may have . Don't worry if they seem mad or stupid we don't bite .

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Dave.
yes, my wife has confirmed that he was on the Triumph at that time, and she'd thrilled with you photo :smiling3:
She has many letters from him to her mum (now deceased also) which stats him seeing many brave pilots meeting their end whilst landing badly. :sad: