Newbie wanting to make a Douglas C 47. Bad idea?

A

AceAndroid

Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to modeling. I have only made three models: a Lindberg brand SE5a, a Lindberg brand Stearman PT-17, and a BanDai Stormtrooper kit. While I've only made three kits, I am feeling pretty comfortable, especially since my first models were biplanes, which I was told are difficult to make.

My dream project is to make a Douglas C 47, complete with D-Day invasion stripes and everything. I know C 47s are much larger kits and most have a lot of interior detail that I have no experience with. I was just wondering, would it be a good idea to take on a kit like that at this stage in my modeling hobby? Or would it be likely that I would mess it up and waste my time/money?

If it is a good idea, I was wondering which brand of kit would be recommended. I can only find C 47s on Amazon, and they offer three brands: Airfix, Roden, and Italeri. Which of these kits would be best for someone like me? Is there a difference in quality or skill level? Are there other online retailers where I could get a kit like this (maybe for cheaper than on Amazon)?

Thank you!

A

Awins

I would go ahead and build the C47 regardless. The only way to learn and gain experiance is to practice. The more you build the more you will learn so why not build the kit that you fancy. Enjoy building that is what counts and further down the line you could always build another. I cant advise on choice of kit im affraid buy im sure other members on here may be able to. Enjoy the C47 cheers

D

demon

Hi I would go ahead and give it a go I have built the 72 scale italeri kit the fit is very good but the decals are the wrong size for the code letter and number on the side of the fuselage having said that this is the kit I would go for again

Roger

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi , i dont think its a bad idea at all , if thats the aircraft you want to do then go for it. As for the kits well its whatever you prefer ,in 1/72 Airfix have just released a new tool c47 which looks good , theres the old Airfix mould (obviously cheaper and less detailed but still viable) and the ESCI moulds from the eighties which have been reboxed by various companies (Revell , Italeri). The Roden kit is 1/144 and probably a bit trickier in construction .Theres also the option of the old Monogram/Revell 1/48 Skytrain , a very impressively sized kit but fairly simple construction , not too many parts. This has been released in various guises , the D-Day Skytrain , the berlin airlift civil version and the Vietnam era AC 47 gunship (thats the one ive got !) hope this helps , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

You are more likely to make a better job of something you want to do than just doing random kits because they fit you perceived skill level. If you can build a bi plane, you can build anything. Just take your time, read and study the instructions and formulate a build plan. The order of the instructions are not always the best way to tackle a build.

You have plenty of people on here to support you if you need it so my advice would be to go for it. Onwards and upwards. Just make sure you have fun doing it, that is why we build models.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice, the DC-3/C-47 shouldn't present you with too many issues. Italeri make a nice 1/72 kit, as do Airfix which is from a newer mould.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Airfix kit looks really nice. I haven't built it but did get a close look at the sprues some time ago.

D

dubster72

There's a good review of the new Airfix kit here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962584-douglas-c-47-skytrain-airfix-172/

The build itself doesn't look too challenging

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

I agree: Go ahead and build one. I have found that generally, just because there are more parts, doesn't mean it is harder to build. It just may take longer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

First Name
Adrian
I'd say go for it, you should always build and do what makes you happy.

I built one last year and really enjoyed doing all the extras for it.

003.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

A

AceAndroid

Wow, thank you for all the encouragement and advice, everyone! I'm feeling a lot more confident about building it now.

Hearing a lot of good things about the Airfix, maybe I'll give that one a try.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely keep you guys posted on progress. I've found this forum very welcoming and helpful thus far. :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Indeed, the guys advice is spot on, get one and build it. I have faffed about in the past not knowing-should I, shouldn't I-just get on with it and if it goes wrong it goes wrong-if you don't try you never know.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
go ahead and have a go

if you dont you will never learn........and at the end of the day it just a box of plastic, if you do screw it up just think of it as practising for the next one which will be all the better cos you have learnt stuff on this one

A

AceAndroid

I just bought the Airfix kit from Amazon! It should be here next month. Oh, the anticipation shall kill me! ;)

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I don't think I would have tried without it!