Newbie... :^)

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
Hi,

New to the forum. I built models (mostly aircraft) when I was young and sporadically in my adult years. Now retired, I seem to be fully engulfed in the hobby and enjoying it immensely!

I do have a question right out of the gate: I am wanting to refurbish a couple of my favourite models I built years ago but don't want to part with (sentimental!). However, I went to my local hobby store to get replacement decals (hoping they would sell such an item). They said "NO (unfortunately) - try buying on-line". I've looked briefly but to no avail. Could anyone direct me to where I could by decals online? Specifically, I am looking for Luftwaffe 1/32 and 1/48 scale wing markings (additional German markings would also be welcome). Any help would be appreciated.

I look forward to engaging with the community, it looks like I may be spending a lot of time on this site!

Cheers,

Tom (SpitfireACE)

North Vancouver, BC
Canada

First Name
Scott
Try this page and scroll down. Not sure exactly what you're looking for but a quick internet search found many aftermarket sites

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Welcome Tom ;)
Looking forward to see some of your work :thumb2:

You can find a lot of decals on ebay but perhaps thats not the cheapest place to start searching, depends a bit on what you're looking for ;)

Cheers,
Steven

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome to the Forum Tom, Nice friendly group and as you can see you're getting the help you need already. Hope to see some of your builds real soon.
Cheers, Rick H.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the mad house!
I will second Papa's suggestion for Hannants. A great place to find Decals. (However I tend to note the item number and then order them via John at the Scale Models Shop).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Tom,
this is the forum to ask questions! Lots of friendly advise, banter, and a large range of model making, from absolute beginners to the real experts............
Dave

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Welcome Tom, here you will find a nice atmosphere and a lot of friendly advice and a nice group of extremely talented modelers..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tom
There are an almost bewildering number of after market decals out there.....search on google for them, but narrow it down by looking for the specific models you are looking for. Alternatively, use a good on line supplier such as hannants as suggested, who will enable you to search by scale etc. to get an idea what is about.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
.....and welcome aboard.....forgot that bit :flushed:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Welcome Tom. :smiling3:

As others have suggested, Hannants is great for aftermarket stuff (as is John the forums owner), however shipping to Canada could be prohibitive. Have you considered using paint masks for wing markings rather than decals? I'm a recent convert and have to say that painted markings look a lot better and more realistic.

Cheers,

B

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome, welcome, welcome! I don't do wingy things anymore, but I won't hold it against you. I'm just not good enough a modeler to execute them well. All props to aircraft modelers. I have mud and battle/traffic damage to cover my sins. PaulE

R

Ranwulf

You might make a run down to Seattle if you can't find anything local. I did a quick search and some of the shops look very well supplied. You know, make a day of it.

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
Thanks to all the well-wishers and your warm welcomes! And thanks for the ideas to fix my decal debacle :thumb2: I look forward to working playing with you all and sharing my creations!

Tom