Next build folks

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Now some will be saying that its about time Bob actually finished a kit and i cannot blame you :sad:

I have in the garage 6 kits in various states of painting, some waiting to be primed, some primed and others in different stages. On the bench I have the R35, Brummbar and Hummel waiting to be painted.

As I am starting to feel a bit better I thought I might use the garage sometime next week to start up the painting production line. However Julie made me speak to my surgery, I then had a call from my doctor who told me in strong words that as I still have the virus and despite I think its getting better I am to stay in and not even venture out to the garage. My doctor asked why the garage, when I said all I want to do is some paint spraying he had a fit.:flushed: sure the phone was glowing red after the call, so doc knows best

So as I am slowly improving I am planning a build to hopefully start sometime next week, in the house of course and yes guess what it is?? been rechecking my knowledge and more research

So second part of the much stalled StuG Fest

Dragon 1/35 StuG Ausf A (2),

A little history of this Ausf

After the 30 Ausf A were completed by Daimler Benz a further 20 were ordered. If you read the Panzer tracts books on panzer production and the new D Doyle book on the StuG they say only 6 were ordered as the last 6 of the Ausf A produced were taken to equip the 1st SS, so extra StuG’s were needed to equip other units. However the History facts book states that up to 20 were ordered, confusing? I am told by History facts that they have a photo of an Ausf A2 with a chassis no showing it was the 7th made so that clears that up! Thanks to Wolfgang and Peter at History facts!

To ensure these were made quickly the A2 were built using completed but without superstructures from Pz 111 Ausf F hulls taken off the production lines at the Alkett factory in Berlin. Alkett were now to be the only StuG makers until the Ausf G in February 1943 when MIAG joined in. The Pz 111 F hulls then had a StuG superstructure added making this Ausf the first ‘hybrid’ StuG, this is a Pz 111 hull with a StuG superstructure, not the only time this happened!

The added superstructure was from the new StuG Ausf B which started production at the same time as the A (2), June 1940.

The difference between the Ausf A and the A (2) are as follows, the A (2) had;

• 20 mm of extra armour screwed on to the front plate, the Pz 111 had 30mm but the StuG A had 50mm of armour.
  • Steering & brake ventilators covers on the upper bow plate, only time on a StuG
  • No shot deflector in front of the drivers visor, this is because the Pz 111 F had hatches with hinges front to rear not side to side as on a StuG
  • Escape hatches on the hull sides but welded shut, not the only time
  • Notek light added onto the left front fender
  • New design for the gunners roof hatch, as fitted on the new Ausf B
  • Still used 38cm tracks but generally had the new wider tyres
Stug A a1 006.JPG

This shows the Ausf A superstructure roof with the original gunners roof hatch
Stug A 004.JPG
This shows the Ausf A (2) with the superstructure from the new Ausf B with redesigned gunner hatch
Stug A2 006.JPG
This shows the front of the Ausf )2) I hope you can see the extra items, fitted to the Pz111 F but NOT to a StuG A
Stug A2 008.JPG
Side view of a Ausf A(2)
Stug A2 007.JPG
Two pictures of Ausf A (2) in the field
Stug A2 001.JPG
Stug A2 002.JPG

Most of the parts to make a A (2) are in the Ausf A kit apart from the extra front armour and Notek lamp, I do like the way Dragon leave loads of spares!!

I do hope this is not boring or over the top and is found to be of interest chaps???

cheers bob

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I wish I knew where mine was!!!!!!

I'd join in as its a great build and only available with kit bashing

Get stuck in

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steve

Should not be too hard for my skills lol

Bob

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Split a Pz III G in half and stick the top of a Stug III A on it, with some extra trimmings,

Can't go wrong with your references and the scratchery is quite reasonable too

I think I might have put too many layers onto the bullet splash guard up to the gunners sight, if I remember rightly

I might even have some photos somewhere?

They might be easier to find than the build!

I'll have a look, and enjoy the note for ""no garage work"", it was too cold today so I painted the cockpit of my £5 Spitfire.

Take care

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm in. I have brought a reinforced table for you to put all your reference material on. :smiling2: Looking forward to learning a lot with this build Bob. Good luck sir!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm in. I have brought a reinforced table for you to put all your reference material on. :smiling2: Looking forward to learning a lot with this build Bob. Good luck sir!
Not sure about the learning bit Steve lol

Only got one book or 30, heavy duty table might be good

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I WILL be following to even though im not a tankie but it still intrestin when you've got the the stug king building an them exscape hatches Bob welded shut was this to make sure the crew fought to the bitter end ?
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I WILL be following to even though im not a tankie but it still intrestin when you've got the the stug king building an them exscape hatches Bob welded shut was this to make sure the crew fought to the bitter end ?
chris
Hi Chris

Delighted to have you aboard. The StuG interior was totally different to a Pz 111, the side escape hatches were not easy to get too in a Pz 111, got a picture of a crewmember with his head out of one. Do not think the crews ate much burgers and frites lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK BOYO lookin forward to the build give me a pm please when you start it as I normally miss things until nearly the end

chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Will do Chris

Here is the photo
20200410_223922.jpg
I think he can hear the chimes of Mr Whippy and either fancies a good old whipping or a 99, i said 99 for those with a dirty mind!!!!

Would not like to get out of that in a hurry!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall join you Bob, if you need any decent paint like 4BO just say.:smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This is not fiction by fact, i have finally dragged myself back to the bench :surprised::thumb2:

Had a rough 10 days or so but very grateful that i have not had the full blown virus and the awful headaches are better, not 100% but eating more and sleeping less:tongue-out3: lost 1/2 a stone

So if you have joined in this thread you will have read that the A(2) was a StuG hybrid, that is a completed Pz 111 hull but with a StuG superstructure added and in this case a Pz 111 F hull.

The kit being a typical Dragon comes with a mountain of extra bits including the side escape hatches but they were welded shut on the A(2), so began by added these to the hull sides, thankfully the shadow of the hinges locating holes was there which enabled me to drill the center hole and accurately fit the hinge. I then had to sand off the outline on the hull side and back of the escape hatch covers

I used thin plastic rod to hopefully replicate welds, you can see by the tiny scratches where i used the tip of a blade to cut into the rod!

Not sure how effective they look, would appreciate feedback and yes more clean up needed :thinking:

Blasted camera never lies as we all know :angry:

Stug A2 001.JPG
Stug A2 002.JPG

Thanks all, been a while but at least I am back at the bench for short periods for the time being

cheers bob

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Bob

Good start though it might be too irritating to improve the weld detail too much more

I would use extra thin to soften the sprue then use the back of the blade tip to create deeper weld detail, though it is getting there and after dust and weathering would be OK as it looks sealed up

HTH's?

Steve H

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Blasted camera never lies as we all know :angry: SO you want your camera to lie then Bob shame on you blamein the poor old camera lol ;):confounded: not its fault for showin how good your work is as it looks great to me but then im not a tanky I wouldn't know if its right or wrong but looks great to me keep on chuggin boyo an glad you are feelin better
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I used thin plastic rod to hopefully replicate welds, you can see by the tiny scratches where i used the tip of a blade to cut into the rod!

Not sure how effective they look, would appreciate feedback and yes more clean up needed :thinking:
Looking pretty good already. You can probably check better if you paint the hatch and its surrounding area, so they’re all the same colour — it’s often surprising how much more easily you can judge texture that way than if you’ve got different colours of materials together.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Bob
I’m with SteveH. The weld looks fine enough but I would soften it and create the weld with a scalpel. I find it easier though to create my welds with ‘worms‘ polymer clay and shape with a suitable tool.
Cheers
Paul