Next Level Up Airbrush Advice

First Name
Gary
The Fengda 130 I got with the compressor is OK but having played with a Iwata Revolution in a shop it feels more substantial. I also have a bottom feeder Clarke from Alan which works fine. But I do like the gravity fed. But if I am going down that route of an up to £100 airbrush would the Neo for Iwata CN be enough of an improvement in feel and control ? Our friend at Scale Model Shop sells such a beast of course. But is this a sensible mid step up ?

There are plenty of brand manufacturers and to me an airbrush is a simple device and the value come in the quality of manufacturing. I know there will be plenty of differing makes used but whilst I would like to go for a Harder & Steenbeck I want to be realistic until I become a lot more practiced but the H&S Ultra is withing that budget. So with a budget of up to £100 what do you recommend please

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
For me Harder and Steenbeck, have the Infinity as well as the Ultra both are excellent to use and clean. For the price the Ultra would be a good bet, never had a problem. :thumb2:

First Name
Gary
The Evolution V2 is a consideration at £143 for a 2 in 1, two needle sizes. More than I wanted to pay and I wont regret it I know but is it worth paying £55 more than the Ultra 2 in 1 ?

I wish there was only one make and model :tears-of-joy:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The Evolution V2 is a consideration at £143 for a 2 in 1, two needle sizes. More than I wanted to pay and I wont regret it I know but is it worth paying £55 more than the Ultra 2 in 1 ?

I wish there was only one make and model :tears-of-joy:
I know that feeling but choice is ultimately a good thing, meant to add my Ultra and Infinity are 2 in 1 although I manage with just the 0.4 only using the 0.2 very rarely, so I made the Infinity first choice with 0.4 and the Ultra with 0.2.
Hope this helps.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The neo is a step up. I moved from a cheap Chinese brush to the neo, but then quite quickly moved up to the H&S Evolution.
With hindsight I think I should probably have done it in one step, although having a second airbrush is handy sometimes and I still use the Neo for priming etc.

First Name
Gary
I was thinking the same thing Dave. Might as well go £150 ish and cut the middle step up. I figured the favourite would be the H&S range and the Evolution looks the one. As Mark says I could just get the 0.4 for now, I'm currently using 0.35, and get another needle and nozzle later on if I felt the need but getting a 2 in 1 is cheaper. Lots of models in the Evolution range to choose from and most look fairly similar to be honest Evolution or the Evolution Silverline. Scale Model Shop do both which is good and I'm edging towards the Silverline as it has the volume control on the rear, which I like

D

Deleted member 7181

I've mentioned before that I'm a huge Iwata fan as I have several of their spray guns but for a "posh" airbrush I went with H&S, as they seem to have a better overall package. The tool-less strip down is a breeze, and many parts are interchangeable between models so you could buy one from lower down their range and upgrade it at a later date.

First Name
Gary
Just put the Evolution Silverline V2 Solo with 0.4 needle in my cart at Scale Model Shop. I like the all metal body and adjustable volume at the rear. "Only" £111 delivered. I can use my Fengda and Clarke as backup

I'm going to complain to the moderators as everytime I come on here and ask for advice it costs me another kidney to raise the cash :anguished:

First Name
Gary
Me neither. I've gone from golf, handicap 9, and a fortune in clubs, lessons etc to Photography and I could have bought a mid range Focus for the money spent there and now this. They say you can't take it with you and I'm making damn sure of that.

But the fumes make up for it......

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've lost count of the money, but my wife kindly reminds me I'm now retired, so....

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I call my Neo the “Carpet Bomber”- a great brush for priming and single-colour stuff, but it does require careful cleaning.
For finer work, such as camo, I use my H&S Infinity. Better control and a finer line. Still needs careful cleaning though, and if you’re spraying Vallejo paint, use a flow enhancer, and only part-fill the cup with paint.

First Name
Gary
I've been trying my Evolution and everything about it just feels class. Solid, easy to clean, sparys perfectly and just has that made well feel about it. My Clarke and Fengda airbrushes still work well but its clear why the S&H gets so highly rated. It came with a 2ml pot which seems small but actually covers most of my needs. Might invest in a 5ml pot though but will hold off on a 0.2 needle and nozzle as the 0.4 seems fine