Nicks 1:1200 Tirpitz for under a fiver.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Hi all, I bought this for under a fiver without really looking. A grand total of 31 parts - should have looked a bit harder I guess, serves me right.
Anyway these are the parts - does the build allow a sea scape to be made or is it just the kit on its own ?
Thanks, Nick T.£5.jpg20200409_161059.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nick.
Stand alone for the £5 build. Then you are free to model Tirpitz in a seascape in 'Dioramas'

Straight forward camouflage... :dizzy:!

A quick tip. Be very careful when you do the rigging, no matter how complicated or rudimentary, the masts bend very easily.

Ron

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Thanks Ron and you are right about the masts - one broken on the sprue before I start. camouflage looks fun but unsure about rigging - never done any before.
Nick T.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
The kit is now assembled and the box turned in to a very basic sea. I am finding it very difficult to get straight edges to the painting, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You may also notice I put the wrong colour grey in a couple of places that will need to be put right. Anyway here's the progress so far:20200415_095846.jpg20200415_095916.jpg20200415_095943.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking tidy, Nicholas.... :thumb2:

Yes, it is difficult to get a straight line. Particularly, I remember, over the hull armoured belt.

Bit late for this, but for later projects of a similar nature, mark the lines with a pencil. I would think masking would be difficult for such a small scale. I don't mask anything, so I don't. know. Then paint the camo. in faintly to start with. Anything not quite right can be easily altered.
Then, when all looks good, give it a final coat.

You could still over paint anything you are not happy with. Just a pest that's all.
Just take your time finishing the painting, and all will be good.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Thanks Ron, I tried masking with some Tamiya tape but the paint bled under around the hull armoured belt just as you said. I will keep going then hopefully have a go at rigging - should prove interesting !

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Well that was fun (not) I tried to get clean lines and made a hash of it. I tried to attach rigging and failed miserably snapping the mast twice in the process. The kit nearly went in the bin a number of times so I am now calling it finished. Apologies for the poor paint job I intend to purchase a magnifyer and some new glasses. Perhaps that will help although not sure. Thanks for looking. Nick T.Tirpitz 1.jpgTirpitz 2.jpgTirpitz bw.jpg