Nina 1:90 Revell Kit

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Paul and Ron.
Yes, the sails can be the 'make or break' of a sailing ship model. With some kits the sails seem too heavy and just don't look right. With these they seemed ok. Sometimes after many hours work on a sailing ship, the wrong look to the sails can ruin the effect. Some builders prefer to leave them off altogether and some make furled sails out of household kitchen paper.
At the time this kit was manufactured, Revell were in some kind of business tie-up with Monogram and were based in Illinois USA, their kits being manufactured in Korea.

Tony, when I built my New Bedford Whaler on here, I must confess to furling the sails. The kit ones were awful, so wrapped up kitchen paper they ended up.

Seeing your excellent full set on the 'Nina' makes me want to try finally unfurling them on my next sailing ship.

First Name
Tony
Ron,

I've just done a search and found your New Bedford Whaler. What a superb diorama, sorry I missed it at the time as a break was being taken from the hobby back then,

The Nina sails surprised me too, I thought of replacing them with thin cloth, paper or none at all. In the end it was decided to stick with the kit supplied vac formed and they turned out ok.