No More Ply Boards

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Anyone used these for diorama bases? If so what did you seal it with.

Trying to get something that is about 75cm x 56cm so i have to buy as cheap as i can get

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Used what for a diorama base? Plywood boards? Yes, I have :smiling3:

If you want as cheap as possible, chipboard is probably your best option, plus some wood edge moulding that you can cut to size with a saw and mitre box.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Jakko the item is was on about is called 'no more ply'. It's an alternative to plywood.

I was going to go for MDF for a dio base.It looks cheap in B&Q. Not tried the local wood centres yet though.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It's a waterproof backing for wall tiles, so should be OK for dioramas.
Pete

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
MDF is like a sponge so would need to be sized first.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sized? Did you mean sealed?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes. Sorry, sized is an old decorating term I got from my dad who was a painter and decorator. It just means sealed. For example, you would size fresh plaster with thinned PVA or wallpaper paste before painting.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ah ok. So would i use neat pva or would i dilute it a little for MDF?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Diluted would be fine, it should soak in to the first couple of mm of the wood.

Any yes, wear a mask if you are cutting it. MDF dust is nasty.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I use what ever I find,or is cheat to get,ply,MDF,or other types as well,mostly try for about 12mm thickness,
with MDF,I seal with pva,and news paper,or you can coat with a cheap paint first,
as Paul said,I do think it has arsenic in it,as a lot of woods do,
also as said by Paul also,
If you cut or sand MDF where a mask the dust can be harmful I believe

real a most believe me,:smiling:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If you cut or sand MDF where a mask the dust can be harmful I believe

Any yes, wear a mask if you are cutting it. MDF dust is nasty.

Truth be told you should wear a mask cutting any wood. Fine particulates are not fun in the lungs. Ask me how i know. Working on the farm we have to be really careful about farmers lung (dust from straw and feed)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning , as I worked with mdf for at least 20 years or more I know a little about it .:smiling3::nerd:
Made from sawdust either softwood and hardwoods and bonded under high pressure The glue used in MDF is usually urea formaldehyde (UF). UF is a solid chemical made from a mixture of urea and formaldehyde. Not good to breath !!!!!!

The most important thing as has been said is using a mask, in the workshop when cutting sheet after sheet I used to wear a full face mask with filters . Mdf comes in many types these days, there is a funiture grade that is formaldehyde free Most of your kitchen doors will be made from mdf and then covered with a viny material or painted , if not made from solid timber .

The cut edge is the point of entry for moisture, once wet it peals apart just like sheets of paper. You can buy proprietary edge sealers, but numerous coats of varnish will seal, but using an acrylic one will cause the fibers to expand until cut back and another coat applied . You can buy a moisture free mdf, it has a green tint in it and is used in bathrooms as a core for furniture units . I found the best sealer for the edge was a coat of thinned oil based primer. Once this is dry a timber capping would be glued and pinned on.

If you prime one face only there is a chance of the board warping if a water based primer / varnish .is used and the board in 12 mm or less , depending of the surface size , for bases for our use a quick edge seal and a timber capping will do. Just remember, cut wearing a mask, seal with a proper mdf sealer like
There are other makes available .!
And you will be ok .
John .

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
John , as a joiner , would OSB board/sterling board be a better solution , I believe a lot of building sites use as external cladding ( and boundary fence ) before buildings are watertight.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko the item is was on about is called 'no more ply'. It's an alternative to plywood.
Ah, it’s a brand name … apparently of something called “fibre cement board”, AKA an asbestos replacement :smiling3: It doesn’t sound like the best material to use for a diorama base to me, but then, I’ve never handled it so I have no idea how strong it is.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John , as a joiner , would OSB board/sterling board be a better solution , I believe a lot of building sites use as external cladding ( and boundary fence ) before buildings are watertight.
Hi Gary .
Osb,. Its not a bad idea , would be ok from the water resistant point of view, and the side with dimples on would make a great key . It's rather awkward to get a good fixing into edge wise , but gluing would be ok for edging with out the need for any mechanical help . I certainly wouldn't use anything thinner than 18 mm , though a smaller size is not going to take a lot of weight so might be ok when used as a base.
Luckily for me I have access still to my old workshop and the store of ply of cuts etc .
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The shower walling that has been mentioned is a cement based product used with none corrosive screws to allow tiling on a plastered wall . It's heavy and a sod awarkward to to cut ,again a mask is required. If you want to blunt your hand saw probably the best thing to use :smiling::smiling::smiling: sizes and thickness about a mtr square board in two sizes of thickness. Chances of fitting a nice edge about nil ! Unless glued with a tube adhesive like no more nails , the original one .
John .