Noob alert!!!

H

Hunty22

Guys/Gals,

I am new to the modelling world and am in need of some guidance. Although no purchases have yet been made, I need some advice on which paints would be best for me.

Never used an airbrush, but will be buying a kit reccomended on this very forum and would like to know whats the best type of paint for a noob. I will be starting with Tamiya WW2 vehicles (these seem to have some really good detail, and doable for a learner) and would like to use acrylics as opposed to enamel. I would like to get myself a "kit" of base colours to get me started but am really unsure where to start....it's a minefield.

I would prefer bigger pots/bottles if possible (the small tin's dont seem like they will last long). Although I dont have an endless pot of funds, I dont have to work to a really tight budget, I just like to get the best value I can. With the above in mind can I be so bold as to ask your reccomendations?

Regards

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Paint wise i use Vallejo, Tamiya and Xtracrylix. Vallejo and Xtracrylix can be bought off the site shop on here at very very good prices. Infact i've just ordered some more paints from John lol.

Remember though unless you are buying Vallejo Model Air paints you'll also need a thinners for the paints although i uderstand you can use tap water witth some. But i use Xtracrylix thinners for their own paint.

H

Hunty22

Well, I have done an awful lot of reading and have found the following:

Vallejo Paints

I understand these paints can be thinned with water, is this recommended or do they do their own thinners?

I am thinking of getting the 36 bottle kit of Model, do you think that would be a good starting point for a paint kit?

I have also decided on the following Airbrush:

Airbrush Compressor Kit I - Airbrush Compressors | Airbrushes | Compressors

Seems to have decent reviews from the people on here.

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Steve. Which Vallejo paints are you looking at? The Vallejo Model Air range do not need thinning. The normal Vallejo Model Colour paints do. For thinning the latter paints i use normal tap water

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Vallejo paints are a good start,I use them and Xtracrylix for most of my spraying. I thin both Vallejo and Xtracrylix with the nice soft water that we get here in Birmingham. I do add my own retarder as this helps avoid blockages,particularly with the Xtracrylix.

If you buy the relevant branded thinner this sort of thing is usually already added in the correct proportions and may be a better option to begin with.

What colours you buy really depends on what you are modelling. You indicated that you fancied a bit of armour so I'll let someone better qualified advise you about that.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
For your compressor I would personally go for the next kit up as the compressor has a receiver tank which amongst other things will stop pulsing (jerking of airbrush when you press the trigger) but it should make it last longer because when it's filled the tank it turns off until it's needed again and not on all the time