Normandy Bocage diorama

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sort of reminds me of a "Circus" act of headless acrobats! ;) They do have their "ups and downs":thumb2:
Happy Hairy sticking Alan. Rick H.:smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay besides the usual Village People with their YMCA dance routine I see some of your guys are into breakdancing with handstands. :tears-of-joy: They always look like this when in painting mode and it takes time with individual details. Looking good Alan.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jeez this figure painting lark is never ending! I don't remember taking this amount of time painting a wingy thing lol

This is me set up for the night ahead again...

View attachment 445754View attachment 445755
That’s the problem most people find with figures Alan. They think they’ll be quick, but they are not ;) And the larger they are, the longer they take. You probably have about fifteen hours of total work to get those eight done…..but don’t rush them, they are looking very good indeed.
One way of speeding up is the production line approach.….do one area on all figures at a time….it’s Tuesday so I’m painting boots, when it’s Wednesday I’m doing webbing, that sort of thing.
That’s one of the reasons I do the face first. When the face is done it brings them to life and pushes you on to do the rest of the figure.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Actually Paul it's my second attempt at a dio. My first was an aircraft stand in the bushes in which i think i learned a lot from and have tried to improve upon.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Actually Paul it's my second attempt at a dio. My first was an aircraft stand in the bushes in which i think i learned a lot from and have tried to improve upon.
Ah, that's interesting! You can definitely see how you've built upon the skills developed in that first attempt. If I can be so bold, there's a certain blockiness to the shrubbery that you've completely eliminated this time around. But that first attempt at a tree is really good. I've never done a diorama myself, but I reckon getting vegetation to look natural is fiendishly difficult, and you're definitely nailing it here.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Definitely getting there, or have you arrived? Really looking the part, and you're a long way ahead of me with figures, just can't seem to get the faces 'right' (mine are more like horror than modelling!) .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry for all the pics guys. But i'm rather happy with these now. Taken a lot of concentration and actually my shakes at times helped with the random oak leaf design :smiling3:

That's five of the figures camo painted now.
One full Spring Oak Leaf
One Spring Oak Leaf/Field Grey
One Spring Oak Leaf/Italian camo
Two full Italian camo

IMG_2496.JPGIMG_2498.JPGIMG_2497.JPGIMG_2499.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Alan!!

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant work on the figures Alan, like you've found a lot more involved than you think . You've certainly got the hang of them uniform wise.
Love the Dio, have you considered a black wash over the gates ? That should tone down the grey and give an aged look .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
You spend all that time painting the camo pattern for it all to be hidden by equipment :crying:

You're right Alan, but those figures are fantastic and worth every hour you spent on them. The camo will still show through and you can be mighty proud of your hard work. Top Job Sir!!!........

Prost
Allen

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
have you considered a black wash over the gates ? That should tone down the grey and give an aged look .

John i'm actually thinking of repainting the gates in a dark grey all over then trying to do a light grey dry brush over that. It should help make the scoring pop a little more

those figures are fantastic and worth every hour you spent on them.

Been quite a few hours spent i'll tell you. Still a few more to go as well. But it's a (steep) learning curve that i'm sure i'll be better and quicker at next time around

Reactions: JR