Normandy Bocage diorama

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking really good, there's no way that you'd be able to paint after putting all of the equipment on.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Can't wait to finish these now and get them onto the dio to see what they are like

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
You should be very pleased with those figures. The equipment will really bring them to life even if some of your camo painting efforts will be covered.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Last day of my holidays so i thought i'd better get some painting done. Can't do anything outside as it's snowing like mad. Probably got about 4" so far.

So here is my first attempt at painting faces. Hope they get better lol. a LOT of help gleaned from Shep Paine's diorama book.

IMG_2505.JPGIMG_2506.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Those figures are looking great Al and should looks fantastic on the diorama.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So other than the head being held on by blu-tac (for the moment), this figure is finally done. Given a coat of AK Ultra Flat varnish to dampen everything down. Which imho, it has. Will add the dust to the boots and bottom of trousers when i finish the rest. No point in just getting it all out just for one figure.

Rather chuffed with the outcome :smiling3:

IMG_2507.JPGIMG_2509.JPG

First Name
Steven
Alan, I’ve just started my first 1/35 face and it’s harder than I thought. I think initially I was using to finer brush and consequently not enough paint. Your figures look excellent

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I was under no illusion that faces were going to be hard, and i was correct lol. But if i'm honest. At the distance these figures are going to be viewed, i don't have to be totally perfect with them. If i was doing a 1/16 bust then that would be different

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan

You have done a great job on painting those figures. They will look fine in your excellent dio. If I can add just one suggestion for your next figures. The uniform is very well painted but it looks a bit flat. I would suggest you take a slightly lighter mix of the lightest colour and add some small highlights to a few areas near the shoulders and the top facing planes. This will make your figures pop even more.

John

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alan

You have done a great job on painting those figures. They will look fine in your excellent dio. If I can add just one suggestion for your next figures. The uniform is very well painted but it looks a bit flat. I would suggest you take a slightly lighter mix of the lightest colour and add some small highlights to a few areas near the shoulders and the top facing planes. This will make your figures pop even more.

John
Hi John

I intend to do that next time. This time i was just more worried about my general painting lol

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan,

Sorry missed the last updates. That figure has turned out very well indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Andrew. Making a start on the others but am taking a break for a week or so. Just doing an IOSH course at the moment :sad:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Martin; "The night shift" on you tube did a very nice demo on painting figures with glazes over black and white primer. How that would work with a camouflage I know not but the result was rather good.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Martin; "The night shift" on you tube did a very nice demo on painting figures with glazes over black and white primer. How that would work with a camouflage I know not but the result was rather good.
It was indeed wasn't it Ian.

Alan, the demo Ian refers to is his most recent one, released last Friday.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alan, bravo Sir, I would be well chuffed with those figures they will make an outstanding base even better.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry for no update for ages guys. Hoping to finally get some more work done on this this weekend. Been crazy with work and had a few mental health issues to deal with but i feel that i need to actually sit down at the bench and get something done. Even if it's to paint a figure a little more.

I've also been looking at some resin figures for future builds/poses on this dio (and other ones).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry to hear about the health issues Alan. Hope they are under control now. Looking forward to the updates on this. It‘s going really well and you were getting a good handle on figure painting.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Like Tim I hope that your health issues are under control. The Bocage dio and the figures are great. I look forward to seeing it develop.
Jim