North African Build

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Just had a catch up. The palms look stunning. Very, very good indeed.

Keep up the excellent work.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John, I keep hearing yeehawing in the night...probably still complaining about the load.

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Graeme and Andrew, just missed your post.
The scale is correct but perspective wise it is a little over powering on the dio. I guess with paints and tinting I should get it to blend in.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
In the 'real' world full size trees are overpowering - and something like that would dominate the area as it's the tallest thing for miles, keep with it, it's fascinating to watch (at least for me!)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
In the 'real' world full size trees are overpowering - and something like that would dominate the area as it's the tallest thing for miles, keep with it, it's fascinating to watch (at least for me!)
Thanks for that Gerry. I will persist.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nato primer on the trunk and light olive from a Krylon camouflage spray can...

N92.jpg This trunk is dying for some dry brushing...

N93.jpgN94.jpgN95.jpg

I don't know but it still looks too sparse to me...

N96.jpg

Bunches of dates will be hanging here...I don't think I'll be able to make them look like rows of firecrackers.

N97.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry nothing done today...just watching my roast pork skin crackling in the oven...

20210320_194331.jpg

Mmm...yum yum, this is just after I got the rock salt off the top. Another 10 mins on high heat and its done.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
DAAAAAAMMN THAT PALM TREE.....and THE PORK SKIN.....YUMMY..... FAT IS LIFE....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Greg, making this particular palm is a learning curve. The way the dates hang is out of this world... below are my reference to follow.

1.jpg2.jpg

So I'm going to be hard pressed to get the dates looking like that.

The roast pork disappeared faster than it was cooked. :hungry:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I have begun with scratching the bunch of dates by adding strips of wire infused masking tape to simulate the long single stems that connect the bunch of date stems to the base of the palm frond.

N98.jpg

After spraying a coat of brown primer, I will then spray 3M Super77 spraymount glue...this is strong stuff... onto the bunch stems and dip it into a pot of the spice seeds I found earlier. I microwaved the seeds to kill any insects that may have laid eggs or lived in them... I don't want another episode of The Living Dead happening.:smiling6:

We'll see the progress in the next post but for now it's cat feeding and supplements time.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Palm trees just get better Richard, looking fwd to dates. That will be a first , seen plenty of model Palms but never with a crop of dates.
No pork left then, oh dear :cold-sweat::cold-sweat::cold-sweat:, would have been great along with water chestnuts.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That is really impressive. A lot of effort has gone into getting it just right. Looks superb. It's not easy to get perfect crackling :tongue-out3:
Palm tree dates look good as well.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi,
I have begun with scratching the bunch of dates by adding strips of wire infused masking tape to simulate the long single stems that connect the bunch of date stems to the base of the palm frond.

View attachment 417926

After spraying a coat of brown primer, I will then spray 3M Super77 spraymount glue...this is strong stuff... onto the bunch stems and dip it into a pot of the spice seeds I found earlier. I microwaved the seeds to kill any insects that may have laid eggs or lived in them... I don't want another episode of The Living Dead happening.:smiling6:

We'll see the progress in the next post but for now it's cat feeding and supplements time.

Cheers,
Richard
And I thought that you'd be sticking each date on individually ;) :smiling5: :upside:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Gents, the roast pork crackling skin is constant after following a recipe and method from YouTube. As for the palm...every species has its own characteristics and fruiting.

Thank goodness I don't have to stick the dates one by one...here's the result...

N99.jpgN100.jpgN101.jpg

Now it's just to secure them and paint them the right colours although the ripe ones are nearly these colours.

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Richard,
Was wondering how you would tackle the dates and you’ve not disappointed...excellent result :cool: