North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I was right...at least one of the cats on knowing of the Dogs Award made an attack on the palm...actually knocked some kit boxes from the shelf and landed on the palm. Good thing though, have you heard the one about the hurricane telling the palm trees to hold on to their nuts as it wasn't going to be an ordinary blow job...well this palm held onto its nuts and I managed to twist the leaves back into shape.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
At least you'll have the thought that it'll stand up to anything that you might do to it now!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
At least you'll have the thought that it'll stand up to anything that you might do to it now!
Yep, most of my dios are pretty rigid in construction so it can travel to shows without having to touch up or adjust. So, this unpredicted test finished with flying colors... no dates wasted.

Amazing realism in those trees.... absolutely amazing work
Thanks Joe, I still have to add some old leaves and stems hanging as it's too clean at the base of the fronds. The trunk also needs variation tones and a dark pin wash.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Talk about realism experience or coincidence, SWMBO just got back from her boss's daughters Malay wedding and in her goodie bag were two boxes of dates. Now I'm happily chomping on them and working on the tree. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
How is this coming along Richard - not seen it in the 'Completed' section - have the two boxes of dates put you off? :thinking:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
How is this coming along Richard - not seen it in the 'Completed' section - have the two boxes of dates put you off? :thinking:
Not really Gerry, was consolidating my other builds and measured glass cases for them. Usually when a glass case is done I tend to finish the build. You'll get used to the walkabouts I do...I left one of the dio's for a while to look at another and have just revisited it a year later. You'll soon see it as I'm fixed on the composition and sorting out the figures just like I have just done with this one having picked two figures and the hornet heads to go with them...a third and fourth will soon follow.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Wondered what had happened - worried that one of the cats had decided to attack it after the award (other than bombing it with kits) ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wondered what had happened - worried that one of the cats had decided to attack it after the award (other than bombing it with kits) ;)
Its got a glass case now and quite well protected. The only fiddly part is to find a safe place to put the glass when I work on the dio.

Mind you the cats have been eyeing the dio and a few kit boxes have rained down since but their operation has failed.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I've been jumping around dios a bit recently working on the Malayan Jungle scene and now worked on adding more palm fronds to the Date tree. The four added fronds built up some body to the leaves and shape. Still looking for references on the hanging decaying leaves as most pictures show cultivated Date Palms neatly pruned.
20220322_232301.jpg
Also I have tied thread to simulate rope securing the stowage on the donkey and brushed on some grey primer...
20220323_002535.jpg
Will be spraying black and white highlights before painting.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi, this is my favorite part of painting...messing up and playing dirty. After coating with future I soaked the interior with turpentine and with a brush loaded with a mix of olive drab, brown and black I touched spots and let the paint spread.

View attachment 316424

I then followed up with darker tones of the same color with a stiff old brush and finally fifnishing with very dark grey for paint chips.

View attachment 316425View attachment 316427View attachment 316428View attachment 316429

I carefully picked out the shells with a sharp tipped paint brush with as little brass paint at the tip so it doesn't flow over the sides of the shell casing. Finished with a light pin wash.

View attachment 316431

Cheers,
Richard
Who doesn't love paying dirty ... Some failures but one tries again (and again) until perfection is achieved ...
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was right...at least one of the cats on knowing of the Dogs Award made an attack on the palm...actually knocked some kit boxes from the shelf and landed on the palm. Good thing though, have you heard the one about the hurricane telling the palm trees to hold on to their nuts as it wasn't going to be an ordinary blow job...well this palm held onto its nuts and I managed to twist the leaves back into shape.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
Absolutely disgraceful Sir ...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I remember the donkey, the dates and the pork crackling. Good to see this on the go again.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Poor donkey - no wonder he looks bad tempered with that load on!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys, I was working on trees and suddenly remembered the date palm tree hadn't been finished.
Also figuring out the heads and sorting out the figures...
20220324_001454.jpg
Shorts a bit too short for the guy on the right...will build up with putty.

20220324_001624.jpg
Just carved out the pants on one leg and turning them into shorts. Will continue tomorrow.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agreed Jim, excellent carving :thumb2: Guy with the jug looks a lot like Adolph….