North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a fine bit of carving.
Jim
Agreed Jim, excellent carving :thumb2: Guy with the jug looks a lot like Adolph….
Thanks Fellas, I'm getting the hang of carving legs, having done quite a few in the past. Will be adding rolled socks around the ankles to save detailing the rim of the ankle boots. The baggy nature of the short trousers will need hollowing at the ends. I wonder how to simulate hairy legs? :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Fellas, I'm getting the hang of carving legs, having done quite a few in the past. Will be adding rolled socks around the ankles to save detailing the rim of the ankle boots. The baggy nature of the short trousers will need hollowing at the ends. I wonder how to simulate hairy legs? :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard
Stippling is the go to for that effect Richard. It’s far from easy though…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just read through this entire thread - what an amazing build!

I did see it when Richard was working on his ass - sorry, donkey - and then again on the musket. But that date palm is just brilliant!

The doggedness with which Richard pursues the very best result he can manage is truly awesome - I love it!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, the guy with the too short shorts looks just right going by some of the photo's I have of the Afrikakorps. They wore them all lengths. Some were even shorter !
John.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, this photo should show you what I mean.
IMG_0595.JPG
Shorts, of course could only be worn in rear areas. Their wearing in the front lines was completely forbidden.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
He does indeed Tim :smiling:
I'm going to make him wear a hat so he won't be mistaken for... :smiling6: Also to shade from the blistering sun.
Stippling is the go to for that effect Richard. It’s far from easy though…..
Yup, that's one way to go. :smiling2:
Just read through this entire thread - what an amazing build!

I did see it when Richard was working on his ass - sorry, donkey - and then again on the musket. But that date palm is just brilliant!

The doggedness with which Richard pursues the very best result he can manage is truly awesome - I love it!
Thanks Paul, glad you like it...only way is to experiment and try.
Richard, the guy with the too short shorts looks just right going by some of the photo's I have of the Afrikakorps. They wore them all lengths. Some were even shorter !
John.
Thanks for that John, I did notice some really skimpy shorts worn by Sir Anthony Quayle in A Cold one in Alexandria.

I remember my Dad telling me of the starched big shorts worn in the early years...after sitting for an extended period and suddenly rising to attention, one can feel an updraft to the front as the ends of the shorts remain bent upwards. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking great Richard :smiling3:
Always have loved the way you do things... Even back to that SPAD,( Think that was the plane),that you did many, many moons ago on a different site ;)
The oils based finishes that you achieve always mesmerise me :smiling3:
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great Richard :smiling3:
Always have loved the way you do things... Even back to that SPAD,( Think that was the plane),that you did many, many moons ago on a different site ;)
The oils based finishes that you achieve always mesmerise me :smiling3:
Andy
Airfix 1/72 RE 8 wasn’t it Andy? I remember it as well, the crew were having their picture taken in front of it?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Cheers,
Richard
Check in the mirror first then stipple with TET?
Steve

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Good to see this back on the go Richard, the short shorts look ok, just stop before they get to the stage of Kylie Minogue's hot pants.....