North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking great Richard :smiling3:
Always have loved the way you do things... Even back to that SPAD,( Think that was the plane),that you did many, many moons ago on a different site ;)
The oils based finishes that you achieve always mesmerise me :smiling3:
Andy
Airfix 1/72 RE 8 wasn’t it Andy? I remember it as well, the crew were having their picture taken in front of it?
That's the one Tim:smiling3:
Great memory there mate... It was a class finish on that one :;
Andy
Yep, I remember thinking “blimey, he’s talented……”
Couldn't agree more mate,
Aw shucks guys...beet root pales in comparison to what I look like now. :smiling6:
Thanks.
I'm another who greatly admires your work, Richard. I remember that plane build.
Jim
Thanks Jim...how much redder can I get. :smiling6:
Check in the mirror first then stipple with TET?
Steve
Steve, that's one of the ways I would attempt but using glue instead and hope the stippling creates fibres from the melted plastic.
Good to see this back on the go Richard, the short shorts look ok, just stop before they get to the stage of Kylie Minogue's hot pants.....
Yup way before any locomotion starts showing. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wow! Forgot about this one Richard. How long did it take to dust this one off?? LOL. Great to see your making steady progress

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow! Forgot about this one Richard. How long did it take to dust this one off?? LOL. Great to see your making steady progress
Hi Steve, long time no see...seriously had I not been looking for suitable heads I would have missed it lying on the shelf of shame with it's own glass case so dust never got a chance to settle. I was in the mood for carving and making palm fronds and there you have it. About time too to prime the donkey and Bedouin...nothing more to add to them.
I know it's taking a while and if it hadn't had the glass casing it probably have an inch thick of dust.:smiling2: Progress should be steady as I'll be doing a figure painting session with two other guys who are interested in improving their figure painting this weekend at the LHS.

Good to have you drop by.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys,
Just drilled out the hollows of the shorts just enough before reaching any of the dangles. :smiling6: It still needs putty detail at the edges and smoothening down with Mr Orange thin cement.
20220330_103911.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just puttied the shorts edges and glued on the arms. Also whittled the standing figures arms and putty sculpted his fingers. Then I used the extra putty left to make armatures for my monkeys.
20220401_190250.jpg20220401_190605.jpg
Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sitting here in awe!
Gerry, I'm sitting and wondering about the painting. Not all tunics were in the desert scheme. Some were faded field grey blouses so you get different tones. Should I paint tan lines? :thinking:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yesterday, I did some joint figure painting with a fellow modeler who wanted to know how to not paint fried egg eyes so I gave him a few pointers and helped him touch up his figure. He then proceeded with highlights and a set of teeth...
IMG-20220410-WA0024.jpgIMG-20220410-WA0031.jpg
Then he put it amongst my other figures...
IMG-20220410-WA0027.jpg
...together with the North Afrika figure head I had just painted. It's been two years since my last figure painting.
Tonight I hollowed out more pants and sleeves of another figure.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Eyes are definitely very difficult. I think most of us could do with some pointers.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Really nice progress on this Richard..........Bet those guys were sweating while you were drilling out the pant legs on their shorts!!:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::smiling5: Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word you don't loose it Richard. Coming on well .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Eyes are definitely very difficult. I think most of us could do with some pointers.
Jim
Not really that difficult depending on how much detail you want like reflections, highlights but in that scale it's near impossible for me. The idea is to mask over the painted eye with the eyelids using the previous flesh tones around the eye.
Really nice progress on this Richard..........Bet those guys were sweating while you were drilling out the pant legs on their shorts!!:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::smiling5: Rick H.
Thanks Rick...in any scale smaller its crazy to attempt. I can feel their quivering as I near the family assets. :smiling5:
My word you don't loose it Richard. Coming on well .
Thanks John...much like riding a bicycle, you pick up what you remember as you go along.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are the figures that I have drilled out the pants and sleeves. I have smoothen it with Mr Orange Cement. No point peaking as I didn't drill deep enough. :smiling6:
20220413_000830.jpg
This figure had some work on the collar and shoulder tabs...
20220413_001011.jpg
This one had sleeves done
20220413_001129.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely work Richard, and very necessary at that scale I think.

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Great stuff with the drilling sleeves etc that is something I must definitely try to detail my figures . Got to blag that straight away
Nice one, Richard cheers ! loving the vegetation too by the way

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Richard!!

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen,

With the extra putty I had left over I scratched a scarf around the exposed neck and made the flowing end with foil with snipped ends for tassle. The other extra putty went into the other figures neck joint and extensions to his shorts...sorry but I couldn't take the short shorts as he was looking a little poofish. :smiling6:
20220419_163443.jpg

Cheers,
Richard