North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Peter, on the mention of paint showing through I didn't follow any references but was assuming primer red was used later in German manufacturing. Since covering up with the hull and gun shield I can't make out the colour of the chipping in the shadows. :smiling6: Just saying in case purists start poking fingers...you know what I mean.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Pete, thanks. Will soldier on.

Just confirmed on Ammo Mig that the first half of the war primer was dark German grey and after that red oxide...phew...:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi again,

Continuation of the Panzerjager...
Whatever leftover brass paint I used it on the shells that might be used in the dio.

361772.jpg

Masking tape protected the areas I didn't want painted when applying the Panzer grey and rust.

363278.jpg363279.jpg

Most German armour were sent to North Africa in Panzer grey and regimental markings in white and were painted over in desert sand, yellow brown or splatted with mud on arrival in the field.

363827.jpg

After the base coats were applied, specific areas will be masked before applying the desert sand.

363828.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
While setting aside the Panzerjager to cure, I rummaged around the stash of suitable figures and equipment for the dio and came up with these...

364401.jpg

I know from sources that the MG42 made its debut in Libya in June '42 but wasn't going to chance is so I took the took the tri-pod and replaced an MG34 from the Tamiya German Arms set.

364402.jpg

The pith helmet looked interesting and so was the guy pointing.

364403.jpg

This was where I took some of the equipment from... namely the MG34.

364404.jpg

Donkey as pack mules for the Bedouin was sourced from Dragon.

364405.jpg

The amunition carrier also came fro Dragon.

364406.jpg

Other than this I MB figures washing up and a Tamiya tank figure were added into the mix.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi All,
Being not sure of the time frame I was going to set this dio for in North Africa, I decided to be cautious and back date the Italeri gun tripod to recieve the MG34 instead of the MG42. That came from the Tamiya German weapons set including the drum magazine holders.

364407.jpg

I glued up the donkeys but later decided on the mother donkey...

364408.jpg

The Italeri oil drum which for me in the early days were so much better than the early Tamiya oil drums. I used to wonder where Verlinden got them for his dios until I saw them in the Italeri catalogues where he had some of his best dios featured. Both he and Shep Paine were the influence for my passion to dio making.

364409.jpg364999.jpg

Initial planned composition was penned onto the base with the outline of the cropped area.

365000.jpg365001.jpg

Home made base with timber bidding glued and hammered in place.

365002.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
The next set of pictures will show the build up of the base from polystene foam starting with a support frame from compressed foam board for the edges.

365003.jpg

Then layers of polysterene layed on with white glue or polyfoam glue which I got from a Japanese pound shop.

365005.jpg

My best method of weighing down and keeping assemblies flat...

365006.jpg365197.jpg

Carved with a sharp blade for the contours...

365198.jpg365199.jpg365200.jpg

Well build up with four slabs of polyfoam...

365201.jpg

Roughen up the contours with a soldiering iron...the heat melts the foam...

365202.jpg365203.jpg365204.jpg

I always believe in a good presentation for dioramas and that always means a good base. Gloss black helps frame the ground work.

365341.jpg365342.jpg

So next onto the watch tower ruins...

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice project so far Richard! The base looks good :thumb2:
Kind regards, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steven...so kind of you to comment.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I needed a Bedouin to lead the donkey and chose the Fallschirmjager figure to modify. I twisted his head as far as it could look natural and twisted his body as well

366632.jpg366633.jpg366634.jpg

Then I modified the donkeys neck to make it look as if it was being pulled. It doesn't look that convincing at the moment but some carving and sculpturing might do the trick.

366635.jpg

So far the stance seems alright. I will have to shave all detail and clothing off the Fallschirmjager and give him Bedouin clothing and a turban.

366636.jpg

The donkey started off with putty to fill the gaps... I proceeded to cut his snout and opened it out tho fit in teeth...

367006.jpg

Then I sculpted Magic sculpt into the mane and its teeth and protruding up lifted snout.

367006a.jpg

The neck is still quite thick near the base of the cheek and will be carved away. The right lip is rough and needs smoothening.

367006b.jpg

The left lip is much better looking

367006c.jpg

Well that's all I've done so far...comments welcomed.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
Sorry I don't have any idea how I missed this, to busy sending you bird nests .
When was it on MM. ( ssh) I can't have been there then.
Anyway I mentioned the other day how much thought goes into you bases, and here you are again doing just that. I love that black chair !!!! :flushed:where you were spraying.
Right I'm in carry on please.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, no worries, must have been before your time in MM. I stopped and started work on the Harry Tate that's why if you see the newspaper mask has turned brown with age.

The chair which is foldable is a relic that my wife saved from her Dad's home. They were mostly found in coffee shops in the 70's now replaced with plastic chairs and stools.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, no worries, must have been before your time in MM. I stopped and started work on the Harry Tate that's why if you see the newspaper mask has turned brown with age.

The chair which is foldable is a relic that my wife saved from her Dad's home. They were mostly found in coffee shops in the 70's now replaced with plastic chairs and stools.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard.
Thanks for that, no doubt the chair style will be collectable in years to come ......... Stripping of paint will be required ! :smiling:
Had another look at your anatomical skills, that donkey is super, can I ask where you learnt that, its a real skill.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard.
Thanks for that, no doubt the chair style will be collectable in years to come ......... Stripping of paint will be required ! :smiling:
Had another look at your anatomical skills, that donkey is super, can I ask where you learnt that, its a real skill.
John.

Thanks John, I had a picture reference of a mischevious donkey making faces...that helped. It was the decision where to cut the wedge for the amount of open mouth that needed studying. Apparently the snout and nose of horses and donkeys are very flexible and are able to squish up unlike for us it's not the nose but only our upper lip.

tubasmiling.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, while the donkey is growing his ears, I spent a bit of time pondering over the stone building which wasn't very good as the stones were colapsing. I decided to demolish it and start anew using foam board and scribing the stones in.
Initially the stone building was like this...

367663.jpg

I have demolished it and done this to replace it. I got carried away scribing and piecing the walls together that I forgot to photograph the progress...

387481.jpg387482.jpg387483.jpg 387484.jpg

It is now coated with household emulsion paint. I was going to add wood scaffolding to the steps but an Architect friend advised that if it were a medieval watch tower set in the middle east, arches would have been used in the construction.
It's all foam...no plaster was used. I may need to pluck out some of the stones as they look too even. The other wall which joins up with the door will basically be made up of rubble. The dimensions is slightly larger than the intended base so some adjustments will be made.

I am now confused...should I put this into the buildings section and then return it into the dio section when ready to be installed?...like the donkey and the Panzerjager.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

This is looking soooooo good Richard. Another masterwork on it's way.

The donkey reminds me of one owned by my aunt. We used to try and ride it as kids, but it was more or less uncontrollable and would take us through the orchard and brush us off it's back with the low branches. Also had quite a bite!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys,

This is looking soooooo good Richard. Another masterwork on it's way.

The donkey reminds me of one owned by my aunt. We used to try and ride it as kids, but it was more or less uncontrollable and would take us through the orchard and brush us off it's back with the low branches. Also had quite a bite!

Peter, the donkey ride must have been something out of a Buster Keaton movie :tears-of-joy: Yeh I heard they bite.

Richard,
Wow loving that building.

Scottie, glad you like it. The stairs was one major calculation. I don't think there are such buildings...just my imagination that old empires could have made these on important trading routes.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I admire your tenacity to get the wall correct. It certainly looks the part. Wonderful work sir:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, having been showing old builds I thought this needed a makeover and is actually a current affair. Now that my bench is in order there should be a steady stream of things...

Here's the underside of the building showing that it only consist of polyfoam/the new compressed boards that can be carved and painted on.

387485.jpg

Cheers,
Richard