North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
very interesting Richard.
If it was me I would leave the feet alone; they look right -I wouldn't jinx it.
Great work on the donkey ,by the way- I've just read through to find out where you got it from, and you referred to it as the mother.
I think you should look a bit more closely......;)
Whoops...the Asian in me for not looking at areas of anatomy most forbidden. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I do like what you have done so far with this guy. Blown up photos of 1/35 are never kind. Feet are fine.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, yes the close ups can be quite jarring. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard........just had a complete read through on this and saw some really fantastic results, especially the tip on using salt for chipping effects. I'm tempted to try this on some of my future builds in 1/87 scale just to see if I can achieve the same effect on a smaller subject. So far everything is looking the "dogs" Keep it going sir. Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Glad to see you have resurrected this blog. Looking forward to seeing this through to completion

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard........just had a complete read through on this and saw some really fantastic results, especially the tip on using salt for chipping effects. I'm tempted to try this on some of my future builds in 1/87 scale just to see if I can achieve the same effect on a smaller subject. So far everything is looking the "dogs" Keep it going sir. Rick H.
Rick, you'll find that you need to grind the salt down to powder form in that scale. Not sure it'll work but its worth a try. Let's see some trials.

Glad to see you have resurrected this blog. Looking forward to seeing this through to completion
I'm keeping my fingers crossed here Steve. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like Steve I'm glad this has started again Richard.
I've had a read through and caught up to date, love the building detail and method you use with the hot soldering iron on the polystyrene. :surprised:.
I have no comment to make about the Donkey ! :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I too had a read up to catch up on the thread...nearly forgot where I had left off. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just went through the whole thread and must say it is most impressive
Please excuse my tardiness in catching up, will keep a keen eye on from now on.
Excellent work thus far in all aspects of the build.

Jim.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, just be aware that this build has the tendency to halt now and again...I hope to see this through.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I just made some progress with the Bedouin by adding putty to his lower half and roughly shaping it before it cures. I would then add more folds with a burr and powered drill.

N19.jpg

Obviously needs thinning down...

N20.jpgN21.jpg

I need to re-direct the folds around this area...

N22.jpgN23.jpg

After this I will be adding a sleeveless vest and working in straps around his ankles for his sandals before cutting out soles from plastic strip. Don't know if I should work in the dagger that these tribesmen carry on their belt... we'll see.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim and Neil...a fallschirmjager in disguise. :tears-of-joy: The close ups show how roughly it's done up. :rolling:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi again,

I've tidied up the folds with the burr and sanding curve files. The major area that was changed was the front...

N26.jpgN27.jpgN24.jpgN25.jpg

Today I crafted the vest in three parts...the right half, back and left half. It is still curing as I type. I teased the front halves as if blown by the wind. This was done when the putty got slightly harder so it stayed in shape.

N29.jpg

I made stitched sections with the end of a blade and used the same to do the gap at the shoulder cut outs.

N30.jpgN31.jpgN32.jpg

I will clean up the edges when cured as any touching now would alter the look of the vest.

N33.jpg

Pockets will be added and at this point I pushed in the folds with my toothpick. He may need leggings for his pants.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you thank you Guys,

I have cleaned up the vest and taken off much of his butt...

N34.jpgN35.jpg

Just to check if there is interaction...donkey "I'm going to bite him..." bedouin "dumb ass..."

N36.jpg

Extra putty become rolled blankets or bed rolls.

N41.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Just had a read through Richard, Impressive work, the donkey & bedouin are nicely adapted, a big change from a German paratrooper!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Graeme...unfortunately for the paratrooper he had the right pose and only the twisting of the head more was needed. Fortunately for him I didn't shave him stark naked...just his legs. The Donkey was fun to pose and sculpt...I have thoughts of him talking like Eddie Murphy.:smiling6:

Oh dear!!! another snail just overtook me. :flushed::rolling::tired:

Cheers,
Richard