North African Build

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic sculpting on the base and painting of the Panzerjager..looking forward to seeing it all come together..well done

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Joe, good to have you drop by. This is one of the rare occassions that a build of mine is current and in progress in real time rather than a finished oldie. This will see the finish line so hope I don't dissappoint.

A word of warning...snails have been heard overtaking me with a roar. :smiling:

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

Since the ruins is used as an observation outpost besides an important watering hole, I thought of adding a long range telescope for the inhabitants to view the vast desert so I roumaged the stash and found a box of Tamiya Observation Group figures and visual equipment.

387495.jpg

The big one in the center is what I'll be using.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
The tri-pod is molded solid so it was either to paint black or hollow it...I chose the latter. I started by drilling and shaving off the excess plastic and then filing it flat...

387496.jpg

Other than the drill these were the simple tools I used.

387497.jpg

Tamiya provided a jig which was molded onto the sprue tree to align the legs...just waiting for the glue to set then on goes the telescope.

Cheers,
Richard

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I like those figures. how old are they? Some can till turn out decent

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW..Richard. the weathering on the vehicle is so delicate and realistic... i can't wait to see the evolution of this....
By the way the decal with the palm tree... is that a Afrika Korp one??? if yes why the svastika is missing...??? IF no..which one is this?:smiling::smiling:
have a nice day
Greg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Lee & Greg, thanks.

Don't know how old they are but I know they appeard in Italeri's first catalogues featuring Verlinden. It depends on which one you choose with the right pose or detail.

You have an eagle eye Greg. ..the Swastika is missing...didn't come with the decal. Must be some sensitive issue...looks like I may have to paint it in. Good thing is that the tank hasn't been secured onto the dio yet.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
.... Richard... I'm really sorry i did not mean to add extra work... but this politically correctness on scale modelling... is really annoying... for the rest your work is superb..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
:smiling4:No worries Greg, I couldn't put my finger on it why it looked odd or lonely. Easily remedied with some Vallejo white.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Durk

Hi Richard, makes that tri-pod look really good:thumb2:! Great overall modelling on the Panzerjager and the base as well, the plaster rubble looks very convincing.

Cheers
DIRK

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice addition of detailing by removing the plastic. Look forward to seeing it in its proper place:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You guys sure know how to make a guy feel good...thanks...I'm a mortal as well with many faults.

Just started on painting the groundwork with base colors of diluted khaki and neutral gray. Haven't taken any pictures yet.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Everyone,

Sorry it's taken so long...it's now 2021 nearly two years since this build was being abruptly stopped by my excursion to Sydney in February. I haven't made much progress except to work on the Bedouin and load the poor donkey, burrow or mule with supplies or basically their take-away home.

Basically the pose of the two would be like this...

367661.jpg

More to come...as I work on the mule in the other post and the Bedouin here.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi again,

As for the Bedouin I scraped off as much of his clothing and cap. Then I used Magic Sculpt and worked on his headgear which was basically a turban that continued to wrap around his face and around the neck. It's basically a protection from the sun and sand but now has become the custom of his religious beliefs.

N1.jpg

At this scale and close up my sculpting is very rough...I should up my optivisor lens to work on it further.

N4.jpg

Only his top half above the belt has been sculpted...I might give him a soft sleeveless vest. Below is the back of his turban showing the flow of his muslin fabric like material down his shoulder.

N5.jpgN2.jpg

I shaved off his lower pants and boots and carved his feet and calves. I will make leather sandals for him to wear. I think I ought to knock his feet down to a size 7 or he'll look like a Hobbit.

N3.jpg

Hope you guys remember where I left off as this is new.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work on the figure Richard. Good to see you back on this one.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
it's gonna be awesome... :smiling: can't wait..

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
very interesting Richard.
If it was me I would leave the feet alone; they look right -I wouldn't jinx it.
Great work on the donkey ,by the way- I've just read through to find out where you got it from, and you referred to it as the mother.
I think you should look a bit more closely......;)