North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John but seriously once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard and get accustomed to what it looks like it took me just half an hour to sculpt. The rest of the time was waiting for it to cure.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Guys.... ;) I just so happened to find my escape tool from my cell helpful and please don't tell matron on me. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's a great tool for zimmerit pattern as well...

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Have to remember to save my old 24TPI blades - wondering if a 32TPI would work for 1/72nd? Though not yet planning on doing one yet, but can never tell what's round the corner.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
I can't wait to see next step....as usual can you give us more ...more ..mooore ( sorry my plastickrak addiction is really strong for the moment)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Greg...patience boy patience :smiling2:

A Bedouin isn't one unless he carries one of their iconic weapons...the North African or Arabian heavily inlaid Snaphaunce Lock Jezail musket. These things were handmade and usually two are never alike. Which means I don't have to worry about being accurate.

N68.jpg

I started with carving out a Mauser rifle...

N63.jpg

These rifles were very long at about 54 inches in length. So somewhere along the barrel I have to add an extension of 2 cm. Also the butt needs a bit more work.

N64.jpg

I didn't need to show the extension as the rifle was going to be wrapped in a blanket I made with thin Magic Sculpt. Extra left over of the putty went to the butt and flintlock...

N65.jpgN66.jpg

Will look pretty cool strapped to the donkeys load

N67.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That poor donkey. Arab gun will look great as part of the load.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No wonder that the donkey isn't happy! :tongue-out:
Gerry, there's still more room I think in the rear...this donkey can pack a heavy load. Worst comes to worst he'd just sink in the soft sand. :smiling2:

Patience is my third name.....LOOOOL
Hi Big Greg Patience... good to have you along for company. :smiling4:

Hi Richard
That poor donkey. Arab gun will look great as part of the load.
Jim
Thanks Jim. This guy may have nicked the Jezail from a camel rider. Most riders on horseback or smaller rides would have preferred an Enfield or a Mauser which was easier to reload while riding.

It would be fantastic if I can mimic the intricate designs on the butt stock and barrel handles...dream on.:smiling5:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I've been busy having a date with a palm...literally messing with the leaves.:tears-of-joy:

I brought the usual stuff to entice and attract...masking tape, copper wire, sharp blade, a pen and ruler.;)

I've done this before in my other post on the Pacific diorama. The palm fronds on this are a little different as they spread at four angles from the stem. I have sandwiched the tape with the copper wire in the middle. The tape is broad enough to take two rows of the leaf. I am making six on one go and may need a further more to make a lush top.

N69.jpg

Here I have split one side of the palms individual fronds opposite each other and will do the same for the other side so you will have something representing a bottle brush and that's the date palm leaf.

N70.jpg

This will be tedious so will take some time. I'll come back when I have sufficient amounts of leaves.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My progress for today...did at least 3 more fronds and managed to teeze the other leaves into place...

N71.jpg

This is what I meant by the leaves jutting out four sides from the stem. Put on some Phil Collins and Queen to keep me company...haven't heard any complaints from the neighbours. :smiling2:

N72.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Those tape leaves look just amazing Richard, very nice work! :thumb2:
Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Those leaves and musket typical of your approach to detail Richard.:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Those leaves and musket typical of your approach to detail Richard.:thumb2:
Thanks John, they can't be bought so I got to make them...sigh. There's probably a simple pose on a figure that I have to make, can't seem to find an appropriate one.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR