North African Famo

L

Lancasterb1

Just completed this beastie. Tamiya Famo painted for the North African theatre.

Paints are Vallejo Panzer Aces and Model Air and others

Tank Dark Yellow

Canvas

Yellowish Rust

Light Rust/Light Flesh - to achieve sun tan effect

Xtra Acyrilx - Sand Brown

German Grey

Games workshop Bolt Gun Metal

Metalic Grey

Gun metal

Afrika Korps Highlight #2 for uniforms

Accesories are

Plus Model Luftwaffe boxes

Plus Model German supplies

Tamiya Jerry Can set

Canvas was made from Tissue paper, painted with Panzer aces Canvas then highlighted with Panzer Aces Afrika Korps # 2

Decals supplied with kit + Archer Afrika Korps transfers

Finally a good overall dust with Mig Pigments Gulf War sand/African Earth and Light Dust

View attachment 30335

View attachment 30336

View attachment 30337

View attachment 30338

View attachment 30339

View attachment 30340

View attachment 30341

View attachment 30342

View attachment 30343

Famo 041.jpg

Famo 042.jpg

Famo 036.jpg

Famo 035.jpg

Famo 034.jpg

Famo 033.jpg

Famo 031.jpg

Famo 028.jpg

famo screen 002.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Very nice subject and finish, i got one similar to this on order in 1/16th scale R/C

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Andy nicely done,the weathering is very convincing.Nice touch with the tissue canvas!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a lovely job. Most excellent weathering,very convincing. I like your details,the stores in the back,the binoculars etc.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice job Andy, the cargo, map and figure details finishes it off a treat.

Ron

L

Lancasterb1

Thanks chaps. Adrian in answer to your question as far as the diorama goes I have not yet mastered the art of building such . This was a build for a friend who wanted a Famo , North African theatre so I built it, never asked him if he wanted it on sand. I will have to experiment with different bases. Any of you blokes got any ideas where to start. Builds of vehicles, yes I have an idea, but sticking them onto a base I always seem to shy away from.

Andy

L

Lancasterb1

By the way forgot to add - Hornet Heads save for the driver who was a spares box Tamiya head

Andy

F

Flying Scottiedog

Fantastic attention to detail and a great looking build one to be very proud of. I can only dream of one of my builds ever looking as good.

S

sprayman

The Famo is a great subject, and you really got to grips with this kit, a Famo always looks good in a dio.....and your Famo will do any dio proud.

L

Lancasterb1

Thanks Allan & Ray, as previuosly mentioned above, I tend to shy away from dio's I don't know why but I just do. I must launch myself into that realm sooner or later, but thanks for the comments, appreciated

Andy

L

Lancasterb1

Another thing I forgot to add, is that when making the canvas, the tissue paper was a very good medium to use.It was stuck with gator glue and once dry painted with acrylic and then a couple of coats of varnish it has made it quite stiurdy. The tissue paper was double thickness just to bulk it out a little, but it was such an easy way to make a canvas sheet that I recommend this way to any of you that want to have a try.

Andy

L

Lancasterb1

I have been looking at this since I posted it and I am now wondering about putting it in a small Diorama, does anyone know the best colours to use for the base and sand, It is supposidly SchwereAbt 501 in Tunisia, 1942. Having never been there I have no idea of the terrain nor colours to use. Any leg up would be most welcome

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

F

Fenlander

When I was in Tunisia, not going back at the moment much as I like it, the landscape was decidedly not sandy. It is a yellow sandy colour but it is more dust than sand, with loads of rocks and scrub as well as prickly pear cactus (is it a cactus? It looks like one). You only get the sand on the beaches and as you progress into the desert quite a way. Most of the ground was very hard and compacted with rocky outcrops ranging from something looking like a low ruined wall to 50 foot high or more. It is like this not only far from habitation, but it is like this between towns, villages and even between buildings. Sounds rough and to be honest, it looks rough but there is something about Tunisia that makes we keep wanting to return.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Although the world has changed a lot since the war, I think the Earth (as in planet, not mud ;) ) has not changed that much. Do a google search and find some desert images there. It will give you the big picture of the terrain and the colour of things. This works in loads of the theatres of WWII but not all. Especially places that where bombed flat and built up from new.

That Famo looks great and makes me wonder what happend to the one I had many years ago!

Ian M

A

andygh

Alternatively, watch M.P. Life of Brian, much of it was filmed in Tunisia, plus you can have a laff while you're researching

L

Lancasterb1

Thanks chaps, will have a dig around on the net and see what comes up, Andygh Life of Brian........................great film!

Andy