North American T-6 Texan (Harvard)

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is currently my favourite flyer,she was based on a Flair kit for the Harvard but incorporates one very important design feature to make her fly well,it all started several years ago when a friend asked me to test fly his Harvard,quite frankly it was a bitch to fly and would jst drop a wing on the landing approach,not put off by this I decided to build some washout at the wingtips on my model as a cure for this,the idea being that the wing will stall first at th wing root and not the tip,initial test flights showed that it had worked the model has become a firm favourite of mine and looks superb when doing touch and goes from my grass strip,she does the most scale like slow roll but just like the full size you need to put in some down just at the right time as she goes over,to land her you just need to rumble her in over the threshold,the big alloy cowl sounds great as the GMS 40 helicopter engine provides the necessary humph,I selected this motor because a standard Shuttle silencer protudes nicely just like the stack pipe on the original.

I like the model because she is a challenge to fly in a scale like manner which is just how a model of this type should be flown,if you see this kit then snap it up because I have not seen one for a long time in the shops.

It is a great pleasure to share her with you all.

View attachment 11503

View attachment 12153

18ba35f0.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Glad that you liked this one Adzam,have a great evening.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Ah!! someone has posted in this forum at last :smiling3: keep it up you are certainly giving us something to read :smiling3:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Great photography Wowbagger.

Wow Wowbagger ! lovely pics,that is the problem with flying you cannot take pictures of your own models,that is unless someone comes up with a pit helmet type head mounted camera !

You have really captured this lovely ship,thanks for the consideration of posting them here. :great:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

adzam

very nice model mate , very nice . looks good from all angles:smiling3:

H

harris10

Flair Harvard

Hi Barry,

I am about to build a flair harvard. Can you explain exactly how I build in washout to the wing. Is this like dihedral?

Cheers Adam

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
f3496d30.jpg
Adam,you are a sensible chap to consider incorporating washout on the Flair Harvard,here is a drawing that explains just how washout works,whilst dihedral gives lateral stability to your model washout improves dramatically the flight characteristics at the point of the models stall,normally the wing will drop at the tip making slow approaches with elliptical shaped wings a nasty experience,with washout incorporated you can see from the drawing that the wing stalls first inboard thus arresting the stall.

The best way to incorporate this into your Flair Harvard is as follows-When you have laid out the wing leading edge,spars and ribs as per the excellent instructions do not glue them but just assemble dry,next take the trailing edge of the wing and prop up the wingtip half an inch at the end rib at the trailing edge end,so looking from the rear of the wing it has a reflex from the root to the tip,you should now have all of the wing ribs gradually getting steeper towards the tip,ie the washout is gradual and most at the wingtip,make sure that you have placed some polythene sheet under everything as the next stage is important,with everything pinned tight and firmly into position,take a bottle of 'thin' cynoacrylate adhesive and flood all of the joints of the wing,the adhesive will permeate deeply into the joints,leave overnight and remove the wing,do exactly the same for the other wing,just make sure that you have the half an inch incorporated the same otherwise you will have a model that will roll one way all of the time,we dont want any built in aileron effect !

Note that you may need to trim the ribs towards the tip so that thet butt up nicely against the leading and trailing edges because they will be slightly on a slant,just do this as you go along.

I trust that this will explain what washout is and how to incorporate it,best of luck and if you need any further assistance in what to do just get back here.

Note that the drawing shows washout added to the very tip,however gradually incorporating it as per the instructions is far better and as per the way real aeroplanes are constructed,it is sometimes so subtle that you can hardly see anything,but if you have a local airport,take a look at any light aircraft standing at eye level at the wingtip and looking downwards towards the wing root.

Hi Barry,I am about to build a flair harvard. Can you explain exactly how I build in washout to the wing. Is this like dihedral?

Cheers Adam

H

harris10

Many Thanks Barry for your excellent response I will incorporate as per your detailed instructions. Also I have learn't something about aircraft dynamics!

Adam.

S

sir crashallot

hey guys, iv just aquired a flair texan kit, sadly the plans are missing for the rear of the fuselage. can anyone help me?