Not a GB 1/72 Tamiya Bf109-E

F

Fenlander

Oooo, you lot love to point out my rubbish typing don't you???? You know i meant 1:48 :laughing:

First Name
Drew
That's an great looking plane. It looks like a pretty good fit too.

I have to confess, I've never seen that camo scheme before (not that I'm an expert or anything - far from it infact). The only camo scheme for these types of aircraft is...I don't know what the proper term is but if I say it's like sharkskin I hope you'll know what I mean.

I'm glad you painted it in this way, it's opened my eyes to different way of painting them.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks really good Tony. As Graham said it looks like it could be 1/48 (or 1/498!).

Drew,that scheme was the official scheme for the Bf109 at this time. New aircraft came out of the assembly plants like that and older aircraft,which would have been in a two green (RLM70/71) splinter scheme were supposed to be refinished like that.

The mottling,which I think is what you mean by "shark skin" was initially applied over this scheme (as done by Tony) at unit level in a bewildering variety of styles. The units considered the official high demarcation line and blue fuselage sides to compromise their camouflage. Galland said it made their aircraft too visible on the ground. It is often forgotten that the RAF mounted frequent harrassing raids on the forward Luftwaffe fields using hopelessly outclassed aircraft like the Battle and Blenheim at a very considerable cost. Some bomber squadrons were literally wiped out. The mottle was usually applied to the fuselage and fin,rarely the upper wing/tailplane surfaces.

Later it was done, slightly more uniformly, at the points of production.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

Cheers Steve. After Graham said it looks like a 1/48 I went today and brought the 1/48 scale version to be built with the He111 I have started. The Bf109 now needs 2 decals on the wings and its finished.

Tony..

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A very nice, well presented 109 there. Well done. The amount of different camo' schemes used on these planes is nothing short of amazing !

Regards

Colin M......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks even better. Here's a minor detail that may or may not have featured on your aircraft,but is certainly worth noting if you ever do one in the earlier 70/71/65 scheme.

The gun troughs are grey.

You can see from the photo that it is from Falkeeins Luftwaffe blog ( highly recommended) and I don't think he (Neil Page) will mind it being posted here,with all due credit, for our enlightenement.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The early ones came out the factory like that but they seem to very often have been over painted when the cowlings were re-painted. If they were painted yellow or white you can guarantee the grey was over painted. Yours is in the scheme that came,from the factory,immiediately after the green scheme in Falkeein's still (it's from a rare,colour,propaganda film).Without a good picture (and maybe the Werk Nummer and a load of arduous research) it would be impossible to say whether it ever had the grey troughs or if it was a re-paint.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it! Your model looks great as it is.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I think it is very interesting to see just how accurate the model actualy is when compared to the photo. I am actually surprised at just how thin the canopy frame is and how true to life it is. I also think the model has a lovely paint job and it is actually quite refreshing to see one that doesn't have a yellow nose and looks that bit more individual.