Not a GB BoB GB 1:72 Hurricane MkI

F

Fenlander

At last I have my hands on one of the venerable Airfix 1:72 Hurricane MkI kits, and only a few days to go..... lovely....

Anyway, this is a very simple kit so shouldn't take long. There is no interior at all apart from a seat and a pilot. Not sure if I will do anything about that yet.

The aircraft will be based on the one from 87 Squadron piloted by Flt Lt Ian Richard (Widge) Gleed RAF based in Exeter August 1940.

I may have to get another as the decals for an aircraft of the No1 Fighter Squadron Aer Chór na hÉireann (Irish Air Corps) Baldonnel Aerodrome Ireland 1945 are so gorgeous.

Anyway, that is for later. Not sure of the vintage of this kit but it is all raised lines and I really hope it fits not too bad as sanding great swathes of it are out of the question.

The colour scheme is standard Dark Earth and Dark Green with the Beige Green (Sky) underside. So, nothing complex, time to get on with it. I will leave you with the customary Box art and Sprue shots....

F

Fenlander

Update. I started building at 09:50. At 11:15 I have the wings together, upper and lower sections. The cockpit has been brush painted with a lightened interior green, mine is US not RAF, and fuselage halves now together. Pilot, very nice little figure has been base painted and needs a bit of touching up and a wash to blend it. So far fit not to bad, a few sink marks that I will not be correcting as they are not to bad.

First of two slight disasters, one a glue finger print on upper starboard wing. Second, not as bad, managed to find small plastic bag in dustbin containing the clear bits............

Waiting for paint and glue to dry before continuing cleaning up the fuselage joint and fitting the wings on.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh A speed build! Good going Graham.

So going to have it painted by this evening then? lol

Do you know I dont think I have ever done a hurricane! Might have to do some thing about that!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
One of my fave aircrat due to the Spitfire always getting the attention. Vastly under-rated aircraft. I've a 1/48 version on the go but my canopy is shot to bits and the replacement one i got from Airfix is also shot.

Looking forward to seeing this one built Graham

C

Caledonia

A Hurricane - lovely stuff, knocks spots off the Spit. Cheers Derek

F

Fenlander

Right, nearly 13:00 and have had an enforced break for some domestic duties, lunch and coffee while the filler and glue goes off.

Pilot now in and canopy masked up, not happy with that yet. The horrible blob of green behind the pilots head is still wet and will be under the canopy and needs to be the dark green colour so I have brush painted it before fixing the canopy in place ready for priming.. Undercarriage needs to be done but I will be doing the wheel wells and the undercarriage legs after spraying, and after I find my Mithral Silver Citadel paint, God knows where I have put it... Not going to Alclad this one lol

Still a bit of cleaning up on the wing leading edge which looks far too thick, and then prime it up. That is after I work out how to refine the canopy frame masking.......

Note that there are no gun port holes, they are done by decals in red with black spots...... Mmmmm.....

F

Fenlander

Not sure Tony, just found out if you change the blade in a scalpel and then stick the point into your finger, it cause quite dramatic bleeding....... Anyway, onwards and upwards.....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff Graham,I like the Hurricane a lot. If you want some more entertainment with your scalpel try dropping it,point first onto your foot. For the full claret effect it is important to be wearing only socks (on you feet that is,you can wear what you like elsewhere,well,within reason).

I wasn't gig to enter the GB but non GB due to time but I finish this job on Sunday which should give me time to do something. You and all the others have inspired me to have a go at something 1/72 ish.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Great stuff Graham,I like the Hurricane a lot. If you want some more entertainment with your scalpel try dropping it,point first onto your foot. For the full claret effect it is important to be wearing only socks (on you feet that is,you can wear what you like elsewhere,well,within reason).I wasn't gig to enter the GB but non GB due to time but I finish this job on Sunday which should give me time to do something. You and all the others have inspired me to have a go at something 1/72 ish.

Cheers

Steve
If i was wearing only socks and nothing else, id be thankful it only hit my foot!!!!! tony

F

Fenlander

Yea, go for it Steve. I have dropped a Stanley knife on my foot while wearing trainers, thankfully they slowed it down enough to only do minor damage. It has stopped bleeding out of the sides of the plaster now so I think I can get out into the shed and prime it up.

17:55 Ready for primer

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The hurri looks excellent graham and good value too. Cant wait to see it in the paint , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Well, it won't be long Tony lol.

18:50, 11 hours since it arrived in the post, and she is primed and the underside has been sprayed with Xtracrylix RAF Sky and is hardening off so I can safely mask it ready for the dark earth.

F

Fenlander

21:45 and the camo is on and a coat of Future ready for decals. The camo is freehand sprayed again, my favourite if inaccurate way of doing it. To be honest, I didn't think I would be able to do this on a 1:72 scale. Just shows how much more control the .3mm needle in the airbrush gives me.

Don't know why but the colours look a tad stronger in the pictures than in life, especially the Dark Earth, it looks OK in the flesh and hopefully will do when matted down and in the photo booth.

I know some will be wondering why I am doing a full build in a day, or as much as I can. It is not to prove anything, I just have not achieved much modelling of late and as I had the chance of a reasonable amount of time today, out all day tomorrow, so as this kit arrived early this morning I though I would have fun. And fun I have had. Ok, maybe at the expense of quality modelling but hay, ho...

M

m1ks

Hurri in a hurry :laughing:

Good stuff Graham, I recommend only stabbing yourself with blunt blades, much less bloodletting.

R

RickBrown

Remember the old style red handled cheep modelling knives? Pinned two of my fingers together when I was much younger, and stupider. The worse bit was pulling it out! Ouch, still hear the screams at night....

The Hurri's looking good, what primer was it? I'm currently speed building (for me anyway, 2 weeks so far!) a Airfix Spit MKVb. Pressie from me dad. Gone together quite well.

Nearly ready for the Satin coat, just needs a wipe over. Decals weren't the best.

The Hurricane MKI will be bought at the end of the month, I'll try the free hand camo too.

Rick.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Nice looking Spit Rick

Got the decals on, just need to do the rear wheel tyre and a bit of touching up around the undercarriage then the Prop & spinner and she is done after matting down.

Have to say that I had great fun through Saturday working on this between other domestic stuff, I can recommend anyone to go and get one of these cheap little kits and just build it for the hell of it, may not be a great model, may not be a great build but it will be fun if you let it be. Just go for it.

Anyway, last pics before I finish it and shoot it in the Photo Booth. I cannot remember at what time I reached this stage last night but I couldn't be bothered to take pics and post it was so late. Just come in after being in Leicester all day so not be doing anything else tonight.

Here she is in all her glossy glory

Oddly, this pic shows the colours slightly more accurately but slightly overexposed, I think it is throwing my auto exposure out. All will be OK for the final reveal pics. Oh by the way, I messed up the masking a little under the starboard nose so I may have to strip it all off and start again..... (errr, no)