Not entirely sure but thought I'd ask

B

BluMoon

Hi all hopefully I could ask for advice on the best method and paint type for brush painting metal stencil parts for my Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire MkVIII, specifically the small compass mount in the cockpit (I'll upload some pics for reference) I'm currently using Tamiya acrylics for the aircraft itself but have no preference for makes just any advice on product sucess and results you may have had. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...pics to follow Cheers Guy:thumb2:

B

BluMoon

Pic for reference, I've included the interior of the fuselage it's my first attempt of painting since I was 12 and sure there are many things to improve on so please feel free to point out any areas for improvement of which there will be many I'm sure20200129_165155.jpg20200129_165455.jpg20200129_165415.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
metal stencil parts
Looking at the photo, you mean photoetched parts :smiling3:

Do you have a spraying can with primer? If not, you can get them from places that sell car paint. I would use that on the etched part (best stick it to a bit of double-sized tape or something first, on the side that will be glued to the model, to avoid blowing it away) and when it’s dry, brush-paint the part.

Also, you’ll want to fold the part before painting it. You now seem to have an etched piece that you painted black, but which still needs to be folded into shape. That’ll probably scratch or flake off some of the paint.

As a further tip: before gluing, use fine sandpaper on all areas of photoetched parts that will be glued, until they’re dull and full of tiny scratch marks — or just go over both sides of the whole sheet with sandpaper. This will improve the superglue’s adhesion and stop the part coming loose as easily is it might otherwise do.

B

BluMoon

Looking at the photo, you mean photoetched parts :smiling3:
Thanks very much Jakko....yes it's the photoetched parts...your advice is very mych appreciated. I will give it a couple of coates of light grey acrylic primer that I have (which I used on the interior) before brush painting. I'll make sure I bend the part too prior to painting. Cheers mate that's helped me heaps