Not my proudest moment.... ICM 1/48 armoured radio car

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
This spent ages at the 'almost done' stage, mainly because I shied away from the photo etch anti-grenade cover and the rather fragile aerial arrangement which had no positive locating points.

In the end I had to bite the bullet and tackle these final things, and let's just say that there's room for improvement. This was my first attempt with photo etch and I had trouble fixing the fine edges to the vehicle roof and also with painting it. Even more or less dry brushing seemed to fill the minute holes with paint.

The bulk of the vehicle was airbrushed, but again I found it difficult to get in the nooks and crannies without laying too much paint elsewhere. My guess is that I need to reduce right down the quantity of paint that's coming out and also get in really close, but any tips would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Here are the pics:

20200405_134213.jpg

20200405_134303.jpg

20200405_134239.jpg

Nick.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Maybe not perfect Nick, but I suspect those grills would get knocked about and bent a bit on the real thing.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We all take time improving and learning Nick,
Hone the base skills first,and add other bits and arts to that over time, :thumb2:
This build reminds me of some of my early stuff,you have a good base to work from there mate.....nice one.:cool:
Cheers,
Andy

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Nick,

I echo what Andy says as we all start out and it only gets better as we play. A note on spraying the etch screen. I have found that spraying it last and thinning the paint a bit more, eases the clogging of the mesh. Spray on a light coat and If it clogs, you could also use your breath to blow away the clogging. I hope that makes sense!!!

Bleib Gesund
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Nick as the others have said. Onwards and upwards. As to the mesh If you get a pin and have the patience you can unblock each square that will improve the overall look.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A note on spraying the etch screen. I have found that spraying it last and thinning the paint a bit more, eases the clogging of the mesh. Spray on a light coat and If it clogs, you could also use your breath to blow away the clogging. I hope that makes sense!!!
And if you’re brush-painting and the mesh clogs up, take a soft, wide brush and dab at it before the paint dries.

D

Deleted member 7181

The bulk of the vehicle was airbrushed, but again I found it difficult to get in the nooks and crannies without laying too much paint elsewhere. My guess is that I need to reduce right down the quantity of paint that's coming out and also get in really close, but any tips would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

I'm still getting used to airbrushing as I'm used to much bigger weapons, so definitely no expert, but I do find I have to get in really close for that kind of thing. If the needle touches the model, back off a bit lol.

With spraying in general, for tight internal corners I'll always start there first and work outwards too. If you work into a corner, by the time you get there the blowback from the air will have caused a dusty layer of paint to build up that you'll always have trouble wetting up. But that's one of the reasons why I almost always prime in black - if you don't quite get into everywhere it'll just look like a shadow.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nick,
spraying into all the nooks & crannies can always catch you out, thinking you've done well, then the next day finding large bare patches..............
Just putting the model on a turntable doesn't work for me - I always try to add a handle ( e.g. a paintbrush shank ) into a suitable hole - or if necessary, drill one where it can't be seen. You can rotate & twist the model in one hand, whilst you are spraying with the other, making it easier to get an even coat - you can use the handle to keep the model free from contact with anything, whilst it's drying. I wear a latex glove on my left hand, so I don't have to worry about overspray. This method I use on everything I airbrush, aircraft, cars, figures etc etc
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
spraying into all the nooks & crannies can always catch you out, thinking you've done well, then the next day finding large bare patches..............
It's not just me then.
Pete

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It has been helpful to me to not trim the etch screens close to the fret. That way you have little tabs you can bend inwards to provide a base for adhesive. PaulE