note to self..... think first!!

S

stuart.c.82

As a usual noob I've gone in like a bull in a China shop!

Carefully read some instructions... Looked for the parts on the frame, took some off gently and sanded the excess away. Then realised I have no idea of what numbers they were.

Lucky I only did half a dozen bits.. slowing down now.. one bit at a time.... To the local art shop after work me thinks for supplies! :D

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That can be even more of an issue with similar parts which are 'handed' like undercarriage components of some aircraft for example. When I remove parts like this from the sprue I stick them in Blu-Tac on a sheet of paper with the number beside them. Larger parts or even sub-assemblies, I mark with their number on a little piece of tape.

My advice to anyone building a model can be summed up in three words, patience...patience...patience.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Robert
This is a pain in the proverbial so I normally mark the Indi part with a black marker and if it's iddy biddy I will mark a bit of tape the attach so I don't lose.

Recently I've started making notes too aswell so I know what is the right and left for example.

Hope this is of some help

Regards

Robert

S

stuart.c.82

\ said:
That can be even more of an issue with similar parts which are 'handed' like undercarriage components of some aircraft for example. When I remove parts like this from the sprue I stick them in Blu-Tac on a sheet of paper with the number beside them. Larger parts or even sub-assemblies, I mark with their number on a little piece of tape.
My advice to anyone building a model can be summed up in three words, patience...patience...patience.

Cheers

Steve
loving the bluetac idea!

It was engine parts and similar enough that if their were on the wrong way it won't show anyway. Glad I learnt the error early!

Do you guys paint on the sprue/always assemble then paint or bit of both/neither

F

Fenlander

I still cut bits off then wonder what they are after many years, I am an embarrassment to modellers :sad:

Personally, I don't paint on the sprues at all as I tend to mess it up after cutting the part off and cleaning it up. However, I know that some do and do a fine job. Find a way that suits you and be prepared to change and adapt as you develop your own style.

S

stuart.c.82

Ok altered the ascribing, now my 2 door has 4 doors but.... The scribing I did is a bit, well fluffy... and where I missed the line there's a few light scratches... Will this be covered when I prime/ paint? Or am I missing a clean up stage?

J

John Rixon

\ said:
How do I add photo?
Click on "upload file" button, then browse to the folder your image is in, and hey presto

(My phone photos are invariable the wrong way up). :mad:

S

stuart.c.82

\ said:
Click on "upload file" button, then browse to the folder your image is in, and hey presto
(My phone photos are invariable the wrong way up). :mad:
My phone says it's an invalid file source.... Never mind.

J

John Rixon

Send the pic on your phone by email, to yourself, then save the attachment to your computer, then upload that? My phone shares automatically, but when that goes wrong, I just do the above. Unless, of course, you are doing all of this on the phone, in which case, good luck ;)

S

stuart.c.82

\ said:
Ok altered the ascribing, now my 2 door has 4 doors but.... The scribing I did is a bit, well fluffy... and where I missed the line there's a few light scratches... Will this be covered when I prime/ paint? Or am I missing a clean up stage?
Still won't let me upload.... I'm a pleb with anything electronic anyway.... solved this with a tiny screwdriver so on to filling the old door crease now.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not a car builder but if you want a good smooth glossy finish, you'll need to either fill those scratches or polish them out with a fine sander. If you can see them, they will show through your paint.

S

stuart.c.82

Ok

\ said:
Not a car builder but if you want a good smooth glossy finish, you'll need to either fill those scratches or polish them out with a fine sander. If you can see them, they will show through your paint.
Good to know. They're too fine for filler so will try some fine wet'n'dry will the sanding scratches show then?

J

John Rixon

Good to know. They're too fine for filler so will try some fine wet'n'dry will the sanding scratches show then?

Mr Surfacer brushed into these scratches will rub down beautifully with 1200 wet n dry (used wet, natch!). Nail polish remover will clean your brushes up!