NOVO 1/72 Miles Magister

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , heres the Novo re-issue of the old frog Miles Magister ww2 trainer . This plucky little aircraft was a valuable part of the war effort training pilots , and has up till recently (rs models /special hobby) been rarely kitted. I got it as a quick cheap build but had to add a little bit due to the nature of the open cockpits . I scratchbuilt a basic cockpit , the 2 windscreens (the kit ones were broken ) the exhaust pipe , enhanced the undercarriage with brake lines and scissor links ,one of which I only noticed had gone missing when i viewed the photos!!(stbd side). I also made the blind flying hood from some brass wire and porous surgical tape as the kit effort was just a moulded blob. Anyways here are the pics , comments ,criticisms welcome , cheers tony

View attachment 61240

View attachment 61241

View attachment 61242

View attachment 61243

View attachment 61244

View attachment 61245

View attachment 61246

View attachment 61247

View attachment 61248

View attachment 61249

P1110540 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110541 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110542 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110547 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110548 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110549 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110550 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110551 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110552 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110553 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

First Name
Dave
That's a great little build Tony.One of the very few Frog kits I didn't build in my youth.The blind flying hood is a nice touch.I think it's great that these old kits are still available.Ive got the Martin Maryland in my stash.Its moulded in a tasteful chocolate brown plastic with no decals or instructions!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic build Tony, that hood looks great. A nice finish to a basic kit, the weathering is perfect for it.

T

treyzx10r

Great looking Mag Tony,nice touch with the added details!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Top marks for the build and same for you honesty! lol

I doubt anyone would have seen the diddy boo- boo anyway. Well got over too mucker!

Hopefully see you at Cosford!

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another little gem for your collection Tony. *****

Gern

PS Didn't I read about you turning down a cheapo Airfix kit 'cos of the poor quality? You only buy the kits as a framework to hold together all your scratch built stuff so what was the problem?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers ron matey, nice to see you back from your walkabout! Yes cosford is just around the corner (actually its about 100 mile for me!) I cant wait, we'll have to put up a reminder in the next week or so. Thanks dave , yes i did turn down the airfix Gnat in the charity shop , if it had been the new tool then i would have snapped it up but the old one is just too much work , i can always look for some lost causes at cosford (kits i mean, not forum members!!) cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Tony.

I have an eye on this one, in 1/48 as a part of my 74sqn collection.

A great little build and worth the five stars.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Amazing what a difference a little bit of cockpit detail makes, especially when the cockpit is open. Just the harnesses takes the model to a new level. I still can't get over the comparrisons with modern models and see just how much can be made with simple cheap and old kits.

Brilliant job and a lovely model for the shelf.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks richard , i enjoy getting a nice result out of an old un too, ive got the old frog beaufighter DAP 21 on the go as well! Ian , i'd like to see the 1/48 special hobby being built , i hope youre going to do a build log. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL I got to buy it yet Tony ! I just keep finding other things every time I go to order one. When I get it I'll do a build thread.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What a nice 'old timer' - the model I mean. Well actually, with the odd senior moment creeping in.......................

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I never noticed the little errors you pointed out later Tony, but just to reiterate, your Magister is fantastic.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Cracking little build! I have Novo Javelin in my stash and still hoping someone (Airfix?) will release it in 1:72 before I decide to start it :D

V

Vajled

great plane and choice... and also nicely done

I like it... 5* from me

Roman