Off-Airfield Luftwaffe Aircraft Stand

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am calling this finished(ish).

So i started this 2 years ago and only recently found it and decided to finish it. Being my first ever diorama attempt it isn't great but i have totally enjoyed making this. To be honest i am quite chuffed with it. This is the first time i have used static grass and foam scatter in anger.
Yes i have made mistakes along the way but this was and is technique mule to try out things before i progress onto other diorama projects (keep watching for those lol). The tree has had to have another bush placed around it for stability as it's not fixed correctly. I'll paint and scatter that in time. But i think i've done enough now.

Items used were;
Weather board - base
Mud mixed with PVA - mud
Balsa wood for the aircraft stand
Summer static grasses 2,4,6mm
Two types of lichen for the bushes
Dead weed stem for the tree
Three shades of fine foam scatter

So here we have a off-airfield Luftwaffe aircraft stand. The idea was that due to allied air attacks to their bases in 1944/45 and the fluid state of the retreat, the Luftwaffe resorted to making these stands in areas of natural cover.

Any advice greatly welcome.

IMG_2151.JPGIMG_2152.JPGIMG_2153.JPGIMG_2154.JPGIMG_2155.JPGIMG_2156.JPGIMG_2157.JPGIMG_2158.JPGIMG_2159.JPGIMG_2160.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s cracking Alan. The greenery is excellent, and the tree is outstanding. What’s next then?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

Very well done indeed. A cracking little Dio.

Well done.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
First dio, two years in the making. Well I reckon that is a winner. Great base. You have every reason to be pleased.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Still smiling at it.

What’s next then?

Well as i've mentioned before i have an Ardennes snow dio planned. But i also have another in the pipeline that only one other person on the forum knows about. It'll be a secret until it's revealed lol.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES very nice work indeed Al as ive just been sittin an starein at your dio an one thing missing which would in my opinion make this dio a winner an thats some people walking around the plane an some underneath like they are just checkin this aircraft over but still a beautyfull dio with the bushes an grass around it very well done indeed
chrisb

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Chris. This was completed a while ago now and as mentioned, was a technique mule for my ongoing Normandy Bocage dio. Even that one is a learning curve that i can take into my other planned dios

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Alan