Ok other hobbies, erm?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That's great Neil. Last year sometime we went to a canal open day at the Ellesmere Port waterways museum. As part of the day there was a demonstration of wartime and 40s and 50s dancing. They were just enthusiastic amateurs but we're brilliant. Really entertaining and very well received.
Oh yes Jim we do like a bit of 40's ...
IMG_9619.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ok, I guess it's time to 'out' myself after all these years.
SWMBO and I are absolutely nuts about dancing - yes, you did read that correctly!
We dance many styles - mostly Modern Jive , but also Rock n Roll, Salsa, Argentine Tango , Ballroom and Latin, and Lindy Hop (that's a killer for 66 year-old knees and lungs...).
We dance every Friday and Saturday, almost religiously , and many Sundays as well, which does interfere with bench time, but I figure my dancing days are going to get limited by my advancing years so I shall make the most of it whilst I still can do it. That said there is one lady we know who is still dancing Lindy Hop at 90!
I've never been into sports or (God forbid) the gym but dancing is a great form of exercise-by-stealth, (most Saturday nights are from 8 till midnight and we always dance the full four hours!) it's social (we dance with other people) and we have a passion we share, which I feel is a real privilege.
My Mrs is a fantastic dancer , it's all lead and follow so she has no idea what move I will do next, because I don't either! We have the BEST times!
Those of you who are musicians will understand when I say it's like when a jam-session just takes off and you can't believe it's not pre-planned or rehearsed!
We don't compete or do medals, but just once in 2018 we got railroaded by our daughter into the national Ceroc (Modern Jive) Champs, and we won our category (over 60's)

View attachment 499071

There, my secret is out!
HI Neil an mrs neil this should not be a secret as you both should be proud of your dncein as jen likes to sort of disko dance but i cant as to old but i just love to see you peeps enjoyin yourselfs very well done an your SWMBO looks built to dance as i loved to see them all dancein at the 1940 do in sept when we went last yr as i had me chair an sat down to enjoy these dances like the jitterbug an such brilliant an you both keep on dancein an bein happy
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well I’ve had a few over the years, but current infirmities have reduced me to just a couple now. Apart from the little blokes, my other hobby is playing guitar in a Blues band.
69AEA12B-FCF8-483C-86BA-3BB19EE8AF98.jpeg
That’s me on the right playing “Old black, the road warrior”. I think the song was Stormy Monday…..it’s a rare picture because I usually play sitting down these days. Cramped gig that one though. We did suggest that Mark the drummer set his kit up on the fireplace hearth and put his head up the chimney, but it didn’t go down too well……got an interesting gig in September, we’re booked at a nudist festival in Somerset…..hope I don’t see any of you there LOL…..

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN well you guys all know my main hobby but i like to sometimes do a bit of astromy as i used to have a fair sized telescope to study the plantets but to cold for me to be out now an i used to have a next door neigbour who was really gended up on the subjeck as he spent a lot of time studyin on the site called HEAVENS ABOVE an i also done model rockety that went up to a 1000 ft an then came down by parchute an also was a biker on my HONDA CM 250 CUSTOM an buliding free flight model jet planes an model railways has a big layout but the computer system was crap an let me down alot so sold it all SO think that about sums me up when i met jen now 44 yrs later we still togeather
chrisb

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
SWMBO and I are absolutely nuts about dancing -
Excellent Neil!

My parents were really into their dancing, starting after we had flown the coop. Dad was very sceptical at first, and had two left feet, but mum soon whipped him into shape. They preferred Latin styles.

Great fun, great exercise, and very social they said.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm a COLLECTOR and I don't use that word lightly.......been a "hunter/gatherer" since my youth. I started collecting pennies at the age of 7 and branched out from there into other denominations as well as foreign coins and currency. Then it was baseball/sports cards, Automobile cards....Dinky Toys and Authenticast/Comet models. In Junior High School I had a Math teacher who was a WW2 Vet and he got me interested in War Souvenirs....I have been at it ever since. It was during this time period that I became aware of ROCO Minitanks and started collecting and puttering around with them. When I came of age I got my first WW2 pistol, a Mauser produced 9mm Luger with a 1939 chamber date.....and that branched out into other WW2 firearms from other Nations. In my fifties I started building Custom Sporting Rifles based on the Czech VZ 24 Mauser action. They were plentiful and cheap so I have produced rifles from .22 calibre up to .416 calibre. A very rewarding experience and it taught me a lot about metallurgy, boring, chambering, woodcarving and inletting....I also manufacture my own ammunition, for all the different calibres I shoot. I almost forgot, when we switched to pop top cans I started collecting can and bottle openers, particularly those with Beer and Soft drink logos on them. Ah yes not to forget Postage stamps as well. I'm sure there are other items I have collected but these are my "main" interests......you already know about my current "collection" of unbuilt models (932 as of yesterdays count) so that's it.....the life of a collector. I will spare you the extensive array of photographs as it would turn this thread into a massive "Tome".

NOTE: If there is anything of particular interest or if anyone has questions, feel free to ask....I would suggest that you send me a Personal Message, that way we don't clutter up this thread with idle chit chat that may not be of interest to others of the Forum

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
WOW, we do have a bunch of great and varied folks here!!!...

Oh yes Jim we do like a bit of 40's ...
View attachment 499076
I knew you loved to dance Fred Astaire Neil, but didn't know you got hoodwinked into a contest....And won!!! Great stuff my friend and I hope you and Ginger Rogers keep cutting a rug for years to come!!!

Well I’ve had a few over the years, but current infirmities have reduced me to just a couple now. Apart from the little blokes, my other hobby is playing guitar in a Blues band.
Damn Tim, I didn't know Pete Townsend played Bass in your band...

I've been trying a little oil painting lately.
Wow Garry, that is some nice work there Sir!!! Michelangelo ain't got nuthin' on you Buddy!!!...

Me, I have been throwing my balls down the alley for many years and still try to do it once a month. Taught my 2 kids and at one time I was actually pretty good. I've managed some 200+ games over the years too!!! Me and my youngest son at the lanes,

DSC_0200.jpg
They closed this alley a couple of years ago, but we still have another bowling alley here in Bamberg. Once, in the military, I bowled a 24 hour marathon for charity. I did manage to hit the 22 hour mark before I fell asleep on the table and even the Acme Crane Company couldn't get me up to finish the last 2 hours.........

Prost
Allen

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Ok, I guess it's time to 'out' myself after all these years.
SWMBO and I are absolutely nuts about dancing - yes, you did read that correctly!
We dance many styles - mostly Modern Jive , but also Rock n Roll, Salsa, Argentine Tango , Ballroom and Latin, and Lindy Hop (that's a killer for 66 year-old knees and lungs...).
We dance every Friday and Saturday, almost religiously , and many Sundays as well, which does interfere with bench time, but I figure my dancing days are going to get limited by my advancing years so I shall make the most of it whilst I still can do it. That said there is one lady we know who is still dancing Lindy Hop at 90!
I've never been into sports or (God forbid) the gym but dancing is a great form of exercise-by-stealth, (most Saturday nights are from 8 till midnight and we always dance the full four hours!) it's social (we dance with other people) and we have a passion we share, which I feel is a real privilege.
My Mrs is a fantastic dancer , it's all lead and follow so she has no idea what move I will do next, because I don't either! We have the BEST times!
Those of you who are musicians will understand when I say it's like when a jam-session just takes off and you can't believe it's not pre-planned or rehearsed!
We don't compete or do medals, but just once in 2018 we got railroaded by our daughter into the national Ceroc (Modern Jive) Champs, and we won our category (over 60's)

View attachment 499071

There, my secret is out!
About time you pair came out of the closet, we always knew there was some kind of movement going on every Saturday night....
Well done on the 2018 Champs...
Regards
Two left feet....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Joe

I see you are a not too distant neighbor from south of the border. If ever you plan to get up to the great white north maybe we could take in a round.

John