Old Dragon Jagdtiger..

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi,

Just thought you might like to take a look at my current build. Dragon's Jagdtiger a rather old kit (kit No:6050), with just a little PE. As you can see I've spent most of the day cleaning the track links up (Oh! no magic stuff in this kit) and cutting my fingers, soon as I started, I broke the scalpel blade so a new blade very sharp, 5 cuts amongst 2 thumbs and a finger, what a record!!:emo10:

And another 18 links for the superstructure to be done, later, much later....

Thought it might be easier to fix the first few track links to the sprocket wheels, before fixing them in place (just enough links to reach the second road wheel). Then take it from there, which again will be later now.

Here's a Pic!

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 31444

View attachment 36480

JagdTiger1.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry about the 'war wounds' Bill!

When I do the track links I go at it the same way as you. i.e., fix the links to the drive and idler wheels first. Then I make up the length for the road and fix these to the wheel bits. Finally, I make up the remainder and whilst the glue is still plyable, I lay these links on the top of the road wheels and glue to the drive wheel links. Then gently press the tracks downwards and use some scrap bits to hold the links down and let dry. This way you can achieve the sag in the top length of track without having to fix down with super glue later.

I hope this is of some use to you.......

I've done a fair few of these links and found this method suits me fine. However, other modellers will probably use a different way of fixing these bloody awful things! lol

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Mel. Know what you mean about individual track links. When I tried them for a Jagdpanther, I lost the will to live halfway through, although I didn't cut myself doing that particular job. Talking of cuts, did you know that dried blood looks just like rust? Now if I can only get it to drip in the right places next time .....

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
did you know that dried blood looks just like rust? Now if I can only get it to drip in the right places next time .....Gern
Must be all the iron in the blood! lol

I must agree though those Swan & Morton blades are flipping sharp!

That must be an old digital camera you have Bill. Black and White now that is style!

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Going to look great that is Mel, got to love Dragon's track links for cut fingers. Infact anyones track links for that matter, when i did the Centaur i got Hobby Boss Cromwell tracks and they're small. The smaller the track the more the cuts.

Have fun, John

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi Ian M,

Well the Canon 40D is a few years old, but I shot it in colour! Just shows how good the lighting and white balance is. It's a grey model on a grey background lit by 4 x 18" tubes.

I used to work for a photo retailer who used to be a Chemist(1769), which is why I have about 200 No:11 Swann Morton scalpel blades, unlike the No:10/10A these are very narrow and pointed.

I don't mind the individual links, hard work but the result is worth it. Think my next build will be something fairly simple, a car or figure.

Strange that, but yes dried blood does look like rust, but how do you cut yourself when painting, or do you bottle it?

More images to follow, come back soon.

Regards

Mel.

B

Bill's Bunker

More Jagdtiger...

Hi All,

Well here's some of todays work!! Dragon don't tell you how many links to use per side. I also need 9 pairs for the hangers, etc. But it looks like I will have to pinch a few of them. I carried adding the tracks is strips of about 15 at a time, left the idler wheel off until the last bit, then used it to get the tension right. The idler swing arm is quite free and seems to have no key, so it hangs more or less vertical, which I hope is right, but understand that is was used to alter the tension of the tracks??

Here's the pics..

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 31500View attachment 31501View attachment 31502View attachment 31503

View attachment 36536

View attachment 36537

View attachment 36538

View attachment 36539

JT-1.jpg

JT-3.jpg

JT-4.jpg

JT-5.jpg

B

Bill's Bunker

More Jagdtiger...

Hi,

Well today was finishing the tracks off, then lots of fiddly tiny bits, hooks, etc. Even used a bit of the PE, not keen on PE because I'm not very good with it!! Unless it's very simple stuff. I left the actual gun clamp open, just to make it look a bit different. Still have to add all the hooks for hanging the spare track links.

Here's a couple of pics, really need feedback from you chaps good or bad! I can take it...:tongue:

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 31561View attachment 31562

View attachment 36585

View attachment 36586

JT-6.jpg

JT-7.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Bill. A very clean and tidy build. ( apart from the blood in the links on the last photo.....)

Great photos. The comment about the "old" camera was a bit tongue in cheek, nowt bad intended. But yes very well light and balanced. Fooled me at least :smiling:

S&M #11's jep know those. I used them for my links as well. Not the ideal blade to have mounted when the handle slips though your fingers and the knife lands in your thigh! I was 4 inches from becoming Jewish!

Are all the wheels glued in place or do the come off for painting?

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lookin good Bill

B

Bill's Bunker

Dragon Jagdtiger..

Hi,

Well after all these track links, it only got worse!! Lots of tiny hooks and clamps, etc.

Managed to make use of the PE, perhaps because I used some decent Super glue, that 5 for a £1 stuff just don't do the job for me, takes an ago to go off!!

But it's about done now, just got to work out the paint job, dark yellow or what?

Ian M no offence taken! Now I'm not in the trade any more my Camera will have to last many more years yet, better look after it!

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 31578View attachment 31579

View attachment 36600

View attachment 36601

JT-8.jpg

JT-9.jpg

B

Bill's Bunker

Dragon Jagdtiger..

Hi All,

Well not done a lot of modelling of late, many reasons.. Gone back to using a mac, the PC was driving me up the wall, very unstable and even less reliable, even Linux was giving me the hump!! Any way moan over!! (of course Linux and Mac OSX are based on Unix). Got to do the basic paint job on the Jagdtiger today, not sure I like it at the moment, needs lots of washes, too new looking.

Here's a couple of pictures. I really would like you comments or options...

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 32177View attachment 32178

View attachment 37106

View attachment 37107

jagdtig-1.jpg

jagdtig-2.jpg

P

Polux

Hi Mel.

The base of the camouflage is very, very good. And undoubtedly with the washes it will be spectacular, I am sure. If it allows me a very modest comment, it's a very simple tank in external accessories, tools, etc. Providing that I have seen I like to imagine this model with a net of camouflage, even without diorama. Alone sorry was an opinion.

Realy nice!

Regards

Polux

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mel

It's a good starting point. You may want to fade the camo colours a little with a dilute base colour. Then it's on with the pin washes and other weathering techniques.

Ps I'm also a Mac user, without wishing to start a massive debate, in my view they are better - easier, less maintainance and look better! Give me a Mac over a PC any day. But then I guess it's what you're used to.

Look forward to seeing the Jagdtiger progress.

Cheers

Paul

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi All,

Well it's been a long time coming! I got diverted to do an electronics project, and discovered the art of making PCB's using a laser printer, it's very easy.... Anyway here's the Jagdtiger 95% finished, still needs that final touch.. I think I over did the washes a bit and it's perhaps a bit too wishy washy!!! Needs a bit of soot and more rust. Now I have to decide what to do next from the cupboard? I have another Tiger, Marder IIIM, Universal carrier, Horch 1a+flak, etc....

Here's a few pictures, welcome all comments, even the bad ones.

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 35097View attachment 35098View attachment 35099

View attachment 39571

View attachment 39572

View attachment 39573

jagdtiger-1.jpg

jagdtiger-2.jpg

jagdtiger-3.jpg

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi All,

Well it's been a long time coming! I got diverted to do an electronics project, and discovered the art of making PCB's using a laser printer, it's quite easy.... Anyway here's the Jagdtiger 95% finished, still needs that final touch.. I think I over did the washes a bit and it's perhaps a bit wishy washy!!! Needs a bit of soot and more rust. Now I have to decide what to do next from the cupboard? I have another Tiger, Marder IIIM, Universal carrier, Horch 1a+flak, etc....

Here's a few pictures, welcome all comments, even the bad ones.

Regards

Mel.

View attachment 35100View attachment 35101View attachment 35102

View attachment 39574

View attachment 39575

View attachment 39576

jagdtiger-3.jpg

jagdtiger-2.jpg

jagdtiger-1.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
nice you've nailed it its not over done i would leave it as it. its nice to have a tank that isn't to banged up from time to time they were all new at one stage

geegad