Older plans availability.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
http://www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/

We have received a lot of enquiries for older plans designs mentioned here at scale-models,the most recent was someone from New Zealand looking for the old Handley Page Halifax rubber driven model done by W.R.Jones,well what is probably not generally realised is that most of the older drawings done for Aeromodeller,Model Aircraft etc are still available albeit from an independant supplier,thankfully the value of these old drawings was realised and whilst they were probably a bit of a nuisance to the magazines who first put them out all of those years ago they are still invaluable to modellers of vintage types.

Equally the excellent scale drawings that first appeared in the pulp magazines circa 1930's such as 'Flying Aces' have been saved by several modellers,these represent the cream of the modelling draughtsmen who helped pave the way for the standards we expect today,long may they survive !

G

George

Older Plans

Barry I only hope that you have more sucess at getting drawings from the 'X' list than I did. I was after a set of drawings for the Captain class frigate, contacted them gave all the details of Magazine, Month, Year, Who the plan was drawen by,even down to the page number of the item and recieved the reply [after 6 weeks] that they did not know where the plan was as it was in another location and that they would get back to me. That was 2 years ago. The other location must be in Outer Mongolia. :censored2 : :censored2 :censored2 :scotland:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry I only hope that you have more sucess at getting drawings from the 'X' list than I did. I was after a set of drawings for the Captain class frigate' date=' contacted them gave all the details of Magazine, Month, Year, Who the plan was drawen by,even down to the page number of the item and recieved the reply [after 6 weeks'] that they did not know where the plan was as it was in another location and that they would get back to me. That was 2 years ago. The other location must be in Outer Mongolia. :censored2 : :censored2 :censored2 :scotland:
*** Sorry to hear this George,it sounds like a case of bad organisation to me,it is a fact that the three day turn-round of the old APS service will never return,I ordered a plan for 'Nanny' from a current publication,in fact that months plan ! after 4 months waiting I needed to jog their memory that my plan had not arrived,the outcome was that 2 plans arrived the following week ! I have to ask myself is it really that difficult to receive an order for a plan,then process it taking the said plan from the pidgeon hole and finally posting it to an happy modeller,after all in this age of technology things should be so simple.

Another aspect here is this 'other location' business,surely plans and masters should be held in one office designated for same ? if the service is poor then they need to seriously consider re-structuring the whole shooting match,I have to admit that I have never personally used the 'X' List service and take note of your own flustration in getting the plan you wanted.

The idea of being able to obtain plans from an independant source souds fine,if it works ! anyone else had problems getting hold of plans ?

D

duncan

Maybe the boat plans are less popular than the aircraft ones, no reason why of course. I received a flying-boat plan(f/f Seal) last month after only a 10 day wait from X-list. Not bad when you consider the usual Royal Mail Christmas chaos.