Olga Kropotova

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

For those of you who are not familiar with Olga's work she is simply the best model artist I have ever known IMHO. She uploads her work on YT every so often and her latest video is just outstanding. If you have never seen her work I suggest you check her out.

Olga Kropotova

Happy modelling everyone

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve

Just watched about 20 seconds and am now considering the futility of my modelling existence.......
Mind-blowing didn't even come close....

Will have a proper look when I get a bit more time.

Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well that’s me done then…..I’m giving up LOL. Absolutely superb work. Is she the painter that used to post things like figures with accurate complex paisley shirts on on Planet Figure Steve?

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Well that’s me done then…..I’m giving up LOL.
Just watched about 20 seconds and am now considering the futility of my modelling existence.......

She does initially give you that enormous sense of inferiority as far as your modelling skills go. However I do pick up ideas from her work and incorporate them into my armour paintwork. I would never ever come close to be able to do what Olga achieves but I do find her an inspiration now that I have gotten over that initial sense of worthlessness :smiling5: :smiling5: . If you look back on her videos the elephant is my favourite piece of her work

Is she the painter that used to post things like figures with accurate complex paisley shirts on on Planet Figure Steve?

I dont know Tim. However I spoke to PDiddy about her a couple of years ago and he was certainly familiar with her work back then

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think the most outstanding part of this work is the free handing of the pattern on the red background. With no marker lines or anything to give accurate positioning, she just starts in exactly the right place! Each brush stroke is so precise and confident and the paint consistency is perfect. The paint flows but has excellent opacity…..that is a skill I would love to have…..I always find if the paint flows properly it’s too transparent for that sort of fine work. Made my day that has….thanks Steve. Oh, and I’m late for feeding the chickens now LOL….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
She does initially give you that enormous sense of inferiority as far as your modelling skills go. However I do pick up ideas from her work and incorporate them into my armour paintwork. I would never ever come close to be able to do what Olga achieves but I do find her an inspiration now that I have gotten over that initial sense of worthlessness :smiling5: :smiling5: . If you look back on her videos the elephant is my favourite piece of her work.

"enormous sense of inferiority" sums it up nicely!!! :smiling5:

I will though have a proper look when I get a minute.

Thanks again.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I know how everyone felt the first time laying eyes on these works. I had mine face to face at a figure shop in Sydney. She must be from the group of painters from St Petersburg as the proprietor mentioned a few names in his collection of Knights, Ottoman Sultans on Horseback and Samurai figures, some priced at near AUS1,000. They all have the distinct floral patterns and paisley on their Samurai and Ottoman figures. I was more bowled over by the horse hairs in their shades for shadow and highlights.
These are highly trained Faberge egg painters that have switched to figure painting.

Like Steve, I got over the shock and incorporate whatever I can learn from it onto my builds.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Your a lucky man to have seen her work up front and personal. They must be even better in natural light. I better start saving if I'm gonna but one of her pieces ;) :smiling5: :cool: :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, there are those who can do this freehand, all the rest of us can just sit there open-mouthed :astonished:
I wish I could get just one thing right, let alone put them all together! The YouTube Video of her painting a standard is awesome - she makes it look so easy, no hesitation & even more remarkable no sign of any errors!
I think I'll have to revert to paint-by-numbers...................:sad:
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Your a lucky man to have seen her work up front and personal. They must be even better in natural light. I better start saving if I'm gonna but one of her pieces ;) :smiling5: :cool: :thumb2:
The piece I saw was Tamerlane I think but they do repeats with a different shade of the dress but just take a very close look at the horse and you will see the individual painted hairs.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word she is outstanding. Don't think I've ever seen such beautiful work

My only concern is Steve does Lisa know you follow this lady !