one for the ship chaps....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry just seen your telford pics of that Q/E with the F35 on an I must admit it looks a nice ship what was the scale ? an how big as it looks about 6ft long to me am I right or is it bigger ?
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Airfix are asking opinions as to they should release it in 1/350 scale, so time to start spamming them.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Airfix are asking opinions as to they should release it in 1/350 scale, so time to start spamming them.
Well Ian I think it would be a very nice model in 1/350 for those that like a static kit but I would not buy it as all my dosh is goin into my tiger
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Ian I think it would be a very nice model in 1/350 for those that like a static kit but I would not buy it as all my dosh is goin into my tiger
chris
Its the largest Airfix go to i'm afraid :sad:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Its the largest Airfix go to i'm afraid :sad:
YEA its sad Ian only 1/350 airfix do :sad:cor just think what it would be like in 1/144 scale proberly like the pic above as that looks about 1/144 scale like my Nimitz
chris ps just think as well of the price it would be wow

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
YEA its sad Ian only 1/350 airfix do :sad:cor just think what it would be like in 1/144 scale proberly like the pic above as that looks about 1/144 scale like my Nimitz
chris ps just think as well of the price it would be wow
The model shown is 1/350. It is a large ship...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The model shown is 1/350. It is a large ship...
HI Barry you say its a 1/350th to me it looks to large for 1/350 how long was it approx. ? im not sayin you got it wrong at all
chris

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In 1/350 she would be 800cm
in 1/200 = 1400cm
In 1/72 = 3888,6cm
Or there abouts...

Airfix state on their facebook page that the model is 1/350 and was built by Dave Coventry.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry you say its a 1/350th to me it looks to large for 1/350 how long was it approx. ? im not sayin you got it wrong at all
chris
There was a written explanation of how it was constructed. It said 1/350 and parts from the 1/350 T45 and Illustrious were used along with a lot of scratch building. I think it looks a bit bigger due to perspective.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I can confirm that it is 1/350 in scale. I must admit that in some pictures it looks about 30 feet long! Here it is the day it was completed, two days before handover to Airfix at Telford:
Prince_Of_Wales_350_441_Crop.jpg

The Airfix parts mainly consist of the weapons, 4 Merlin helicopters and a few domes, in total less than 60 parts. Inside there is part of a Tamiya USS Enterprise hull for added rigidity. Almost everything else including all radar (apart from other aircraft and the props) has been scratchbuilt.

Dave

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
There was a written explanation of how it was constructed. It said 1/350 and parts from the 1/350 T45 and Illustrious were used along with a lot of scratch building. I think it looks a bit bigger due to perspective.
HI Barry I apologize about the size of that Q/E as im amazed at how small it is as I think you are right in the top pic it must be due to the angle perspective of the photo when taken as to me it looks a lot larger but when seen by the gent holding it I am bambozzeled as victor mildrew said( I DONT BELIVE IT ) LOL
Chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can confirm that it is 1/350 in scale. I must admit that in some pictures it looks about 30 feet long! Here it is the day it was
First welcome to the forum and I hope we see a lot more from you.
Secondly well done on building the model. Very nice work and I hope that Airfix do bring it into their range.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
First welcome to the forum and I hope we see a lot more from you.
Secondly well done on building the model. Very nice work and I hope that Airfix do bring it into their range.
AN I second that :thumb2: an I think Dave has done a fantastic job on the build considering its been scratchbuilt from other models very well done indeed an has she got four props ?
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks for the welcome. I actually joined in 2014 but have been a long-time lurker!

The QE class have two props.

Dave
HI Dave thanks for the info on the props only two im really surprised as its about 65000 tons of ship most ships ive seen in this tonnage normaly have four props
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for the welcome. I actually joined in 2014 but have been a long-time lurker!

The QE class have two props.

Dave
I suddenly realised who you were from the name plate on the model. Great work, she certainly looked impressive at Telford. Welcome to the Forum.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Dave is there any chance that you took pics of the build as you went along ? as it would be super to see the build on here ? as we not got many floaty things on here an yours would be top notch build as I think the more I see of her the more I like an the F35 as well SO DAVE ANY CHANCE ?
Chris