one for the ship chaps....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Why you been hiding away, we need more floaty thing builders! lol
Yes an I second that Ian more floaty things is a must on here to rival all the tankyies an wingyies :smiling2:LOL an Dave with your kind of skills that you've shown on building that carrier we would like very much to see more ?
chris

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Chris, from start to finish I took over 400 photos and the build is detailed on the ATF in a thread that is over 300 posts long. However, that thread also showed a waterline version that was being built at the same time. Airfix have asked for an article detailing the build of this one and when I have picked the bones from my original build thread I will post it here too.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry to disappoint you all but this build is only the second ship that I have made in over three years. My last one was a "what-if" based on the Airfix RMS Queen Elizabeth 2:
QE2_What_If_GB_083.jpg

Here is an Airfix Prinz Eugen that I made almost six years ago:
Prinz_Eugen_GB_046.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love making ships but never seem to complete them! I keep getting distracted by other subjects too.....! Notice that I don't do much in the way of rigging due to arthritis and dodgy peepers!

Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, from start to finish I took over 400 photos and the build is detailed on the ATF in a thread that is over 300 posts long. However, that thread also showed a waterline version that was being built at the same time. Airfix have asked for an article detailing the build of this one and when I have picked the bones from my original build thread I will post it here too.

Dave
Well Dave if you can post the Q/E build of 400 pics i'll an I think all the floaty guys will be very pleased an we like long builds an loads of pics as my USS NIMITZ in 1/144 scale 7yr build is on here ran into a lot of pics an i like the other ships you have posted here will have a close up study as there is so much detail to see If i can zoom in on the models
all best
from all the floaty guys

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Dave just been lookin at the other ships you have shown an I must admit Q/E an the RMS Q/E would make some lovely models in 1/144 scale for r/c but I could not do them as im getting on an im proberly on my last build that im shown on here an its BOATMANS HMS TIGER in 1/72 SCALE by the time ive finished it i'll be too old to build anymore an sorry to hear you got arthritis an dodgey eyes but its the getting old that's catchin us up im afraid
chris

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well Dave if you can post the Q/E build of 400 pics i'll an I think all the floaty guys will be very pleased an we like long builds an loads of pics as my USS NIMITZ in 1/144 scale 7yr build is on here ran into a lot of pics an i like the other ships you have posted here will have a close up study as there is so much detail to see If i can zoom in on the models
all best
from all the floaty guys
Hi Chris, I tried to upload four build threads a couple of days ago only to find that there is a 20 image and 3,000 character limit on each post. I have to go back and split the threads into 12 or fourteen smaller parts. I will upload the parts into four threads (Parts One to Four) so that members won't have to read through a single thread. Not sure when this will happen - but it will!

Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I tried to upload four build threads a couple of days ago only to find that there is a 20 image and 3,000 character limit on each post. I have to go back and split the threads into 12 or fourteen smaller parts. I will upload the parts into four threads (Parts One to Four) so that members won't have to read through a single thread. Not sure when this will happen - but it will!

Dave

HI Dave sorry to hear it a bit complicataited but no hurry do it when you can as don't want to put you out if you can do it I will look forward to the threads of one to four great stuff cheers
all best to you
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have to go back and split the threads into 12 or fourteen smaller parts. I will upload the parts into four threads
You can just make one thread. The limit only applies to a single post. Make the thread and just add to it as time permits.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ian, I think I am confusing you a bit about my actions and I was confused by your suggestion thinking you were referring to just one of the four threads I will be writing. Let me explain it a bit better. As the build has already been done, I am splitting one ginormous build thread into four separate threads (Parts I to IV). I had hoped that each part could have been made with one initial post in each thread but, due to size limits, these four posts have to be subdivided into multiple posts. Anyway, enough waffling about build threads, I hope to get them online quite soon!

Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What I ment Dave is that you can make one single thread For arguments sake call it Scratch building the Queen Elisabeth. Or what ever.
Once that thread is made you can just add bits to it as you get the time, Rather like Boatman's HMS Tiger build. The only difference is that you already have all the photos and text, While Chris has to add them as he takes them...
Should you go the route of several threads, I will only end up merging them together anyway, so it is far better that it just starts that way rather than me doing the hatchet job I have been accused of in the past.