One of 700..... Kamikaze! Okinawa, 7th. April 1945

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A bit of a lead into this build.
A fair time ago, whilst I was having a 'chat' via p.m.'s with a fellow member, he wrote he had a 1/48 Japanese Zero he considered "Not good enough." and was going to bin it. Would I be interested in having it? "Yes please" sez I. Then I confessed to him I would probable want to wreck it. He replied that it was going in the bin anyway!
It duly arrived, along with another aircraft! In my opinion both models were excellent and far too good to be 'Altered' by me.
It took me up until a couple of weeks ago to finally pluck up enough courage to set about the Zero. Some folks might remember, that earlier this year, I did a more detailed approach to this sort of work, when I modelled a Dornier being rammed by a Hurricane, so I though it would be acceptable to just take a couple of construction shots of this build.
..........................................................................................................................

The war in the Pacific is going from bad to worse for the Japanese. The allied forces are re-taking Island after Island on their march towards the Japanese Mainland.

The last island that needed to be taken before an assault on Japan itself, was Okinawa.
The Americans had assembled a vast invasion fleet. In response, all the Japanese could muster were a few ships (Including the Battleship Yamato) and 700 dedicated pilots in mostly obsolete aircraft determined to smash the Americans.

The Japenese Scratch Fleet was quickly crippled, including Yamato, sunk by U.S. aircraft. On April 7th, the Kamikaze swarms attacked the Americans. Many of the Japanese aircraft were shot down, but many also managed to get through the picket line of American Fighters.
At the end of the sea battle 32 American ships had been sunk, 368 damaged and 10,000 American servicemen killed or wounded.

With a bit of help from an American Transport rescued for my loft. Here is my attempt at a tiny part of this battle.......(For Murfie)

No superimposed photoshop nonsense used throughout this production!

Taken from a destroyer desperately trying to defend the troop transport.
P1280935.JPG

P1280934 (2).JPG

The following shots were taken from the camera guns of a couple of U.S. Corsair fighters, chasing the Zero.
P1280949.JPG

P1280954.JPG

P1280960.JPG

P1280969.JPG

P1280945 (2).JPG

P1280948 (2).JPG

P1280955 (2).JPG

P1280962 (2).JPG

P1280972 (2).JPG

P1280963 (2).JPG

Taken from the deck of an American destroyer......Luckily the aircraft just skimmed over the stern of the ship.
P1280977.JPG

P1280979 (2).JPG

P1280978.JPG

Here's the only photos of the construction.

I've tried to model the aircraft a second or two after an explosion in the cockpit and the wing parting company.

I used a mixture of kitchen foil, cushion stuffing, pliers, wire cutters, the hot tip of a screwdriver and acrylic paints. - And a whole pile of luck!

P1280900.JPG

P1280980.JPG

P1280981.JPG

P1280982.JPG

Thanks for looking. (A sometimes over vivid imagination can get one carried away, but I hope you good people approve!)

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps. present and absent.... ;)

I'm chuffed my butchering is passing muster.

A special thanks to the member who donated the aircraft.

John. "Master"? Nah, I just have fun and do my best. A thankfully few people might think they deserve to wear that badge. If they want to go on an ego trip that's fine. To my thinking it's the same as 'Expert' There is no such person as an expert or master - In whatever field. Everyone, without exception, will still be learning until they point their toes up to the great kit box in the sky. But thanks for the kind comment none the less.:smiling4:

Rev. Ian Paisley II

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word 570 that is spectacular.
How well the current Mrs Ron throw the plane up while you take the photos, congratulations to her for a valiant effort in hurling. Very impressive.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks 453.
Can't hang around. I have to change the bandages on the bride's burnt fingers.

I told her to wear gloves before handling the burning aircraft, but would she listen to a bloke?....NO!

Tell you what though. I'd forgotten what Geronimo smells like. At least I think that's what the ointment is called.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Superb stuff. You may not consider yourself a "master" but you certainly have a flair for very realistically presenting your modelling.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant stuff mate , the Corsairs sure packed a punch ! Mind you the zeros didnt take much persuading to start disassembling , very lightly built . Compliments to justine , excellent multi part chucking ! Cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim and Tony.
Thanks for your complimentary posts. Dead good!

Mucker, I will pass on your comments to her that must be obeyed at all times.....

Cheers boys,
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Loving it 570!!.......my late father in law fought on Okinawa and he would have been very pleased to see your efforts to recreate what he saw as a too often, common occurrence Well done! :thumb2: Rick H.

1`

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I would say something but am at a loss for words, one does come to mind though....AWESOME!
I confluence with Rick, my dad was a 40mm pom pom gunner on two oilers that were blown
out from under him in the seas around Okinawa.

He always had these terrible burn scars running down both his legs and told us kids "that's way you should never play with matches"
I did not touch a match till I was 16!

Jim.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a superb set of posts and terrific comments. (and alterations;))
Thank you all so much.

Paul. I did a rough sea dio. back in Aug. 2017 which featured this transport. It was titled '1561 tough Marines, but right now, they just want to curl up and die.' Sorry I don't know how to do links. :upside:

...and the bonus is having brought back memories to my friends on here of family members who fought in the Pacific during WW2.

Me very happy bunny!

Cheers all,
Ron