One of Airfix's Finest: Grumman Gosling. Finished.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Never mind paint Barry, filler and lots more filler. If you search 'tinterweb', you can find pictures of this actual aircraft.

B

Bari

Done a little bit more, the cockpit looked so bare I have made a basic floor and instrument panel just to cheer it up although I don't think anything will be able to be seen. I think the only thing to be seen would be the throttles hanging down from the the roof so have made a couple. as you all said the fit is not good, the side windows did not fit at all so I will try and fill the holes with clearfix later. So its together and with a bit of sanding and a lot of pressure and tape the gaps are not to bad.View attachment 75716

View attachment 75717

View attachment 75718

View attachment 75719

View attachment 75720

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

B

Bari

A bit more done. I have found the quality of this kit (considering it was first moulded in 1959) to be quite good. There has been very little flash and with a bit of gentle sanding the fit has been quite good especially on the fuselage where there was only a tiny gap underneath. The engines are a bit anemic and have needed a bit of plastic card to beef them out to fit. I have also made a couple of better looking filter housings and just for the devilment tried my hand at a wooden prop from a McDonalds coffee stirrer.View attachment 75906

View attachment 75907

View attachment 75908

View attachment 75909

View attachment 75910

View attachment 75911

View attachment 75912

View attachment 75913

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

018.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work barry , I love to see these oldies get some TLC. Top bit of modelling with the engines , sandwiching the plastic card to widen them , thats what really gives me a buzz - coming across problems and finding a way past them , brilliant! cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Now I built this decades ago and it was a pig. Someone built one last year here and it was likewise not too great a kit set. But you have made it look good Barry, some good old ingenuity and clean building going on here. That propeller is very nicely done. Back to McD's!

B

Bari

I have noticed that on photo's of this aircraft that there is a sort of flange thing running around the front portion of the hull, so have spent ages drawing around the hull to get the shape then finally managing to cut it out of plastic card and fit it. It would have been so much easier to do before I put the wings on..... I have also managed to carve another wooden prop that almost resembles the other one, however I will reserve judgement on them until I have glossed them. The floats look as if they have been chewed up at the front so a bit of milliput there I think.View attachment 75988

View attachment 75989

View attachment 75990

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Barry. Yes those floats will need some attention for sure.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job with the chines barry and the floats look like theyll need a bit (alot?) of filler ! its very similar to the old DH 88 comet ,a 1950's mould that hasnt stood the test of time very well at all , but it still makes great practice and gives a real buzz when you get a good result from it! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I to had one of these many summers ago.

Yours is looking a lot better than mine! Good work so far.

Ian M

B

Bari

A bit bored at the moment as I am waiting for glue to dry. The windscreen transparency was way oversize in width and a bit narrow in depth so now its set I have filed it down on the side windows and polished and filled all the gaps with clearfix and am now waiting to it to set before smoothing it back. I have been dabbling with the undercarriage which is very skinny so have made some legs out of copper wire and tape although still not sure whether to use them or not. perhaps they will look better after painting.View attachment 76077

View attachment 76078

024.JPG

026.JPG

J

John Huggins

Nice start Barry, good bit of scratch building to.

Look forward to seeing more.

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work on the legs Barry. Coming along nicely, you are seeing this oldie off no doubt about it.

B

Bari

Couldn't resist to see how it looks sitting on its wheels. I have to admit that I am more than surprised that it sits level after the home made bits of wire that replace the kit legs. I have also primed it, just needs a little bit of filler on starboard engine where I have put the widening plate in. My two McDonalds coffee stirrer props complete the picture (stuck on with a bit of blu-tack). I will do the floats separately as I'm sure to knock them off when painting.

View attachment 76154

View attachment 76155

View attachment 76156

View attachment 76157

View attachment 76158

034.JPG

033.JPG

032.JPG

031.JPG

030.JPG