One off Decal set.

First Name
Steve
Can anyone put me in the direction of a sheet of Decals, Letters and Figures only in White.
Have a project coming up where the paint job and Decals are my doing only.
All I want is various numbers and letters in white that I can make up myself. Probably approximately 3/16” in height.
Only letters needed are R,A,F,T,Y,P,E,M&U plus numerous numbers.
Thanks Steve51DEA04A-E765-43D1-AD1E-E89C6899DC56.jpeg

6E7C1BAC-29A4-43DF-9353-82B2C2747479.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The only thing you have to do is work out what size you need for your scale! ( not as easy as you think! )
Last time I purchased some the full size was indicated by the side of the decals. So as long as you by for the right scale you should be OK.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The right size for a vehicle like that is 3½″ (89 mm) high and 2½″ (64 mm) wide, with strokes ⅝″ (16 mm) thick in the real world. Just divide those by the scale of the model you’re building and you have the size you need for a model.

And the typography geek in me wants to mention that the text and number on the door, are in too modern a typeface — that is, Helvetica, which first of all didn’t exist yet for much of this vehicle’s active service, and second, wasn’t normally used by the British military even when it did exist. But modern vehicle restorers often do use it, because you can buy it in self-adhesive form :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The right size for a vehicle like that is 3½″ (89 mm) high and 2½″ (64 mm) wide, with strokes ⅝″ (16 mm) thick in the real world. Just divide those by the scale of the model you’re building and you have the size you need for a model.

And the typography geek in me wants to mention that the text and number on the door, are in too modern a typeface — that is, Helvetica, which first of all didn’t exist yet for much of this vehicle’s active service, and second, wasn’t normally used by the British military even when it did exist. But modern vehicle restorers often do use it, because you can buy it in self-adhesive form :smiling3:
That's Helvetica all right, a sans serif type. I always prefer Goudy...much softer serif type.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Goudy Old Style? That’s not really suitable for most vehicle markings, though :smiling3:

Anyway, the thing with markings from before about the 1960s, though, is that many of them were hand-painted by crew members with the necessary skills. Which is to say: no modern font will match them, because the glyphs were essentially at the whim of the painter.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Important info needed to give the best reply.
What scale is the model.
Are you doing a replica of the wonderful truck as in the photos
Are you doing a version as it would have been.
Phew!
if as in the photo the 'modern' letters are fine as it is what they are. If going back to early days then most likely stencils are the way to go, as they have used on the bonnet (hood) motor cover... what ever. (Here its a motor helmet lol.)
Number plates would, if applicable, stamped and painted.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Goudy Old Style? That’s not really suitable for most vehicle markings, though :smiling3:

Anyway, the thing with markings from before about the 1960s, though, is that many of them were hand-painted by crew members with the necessary skills. Which is to say: no modern font will match them, because the glyphs were essentially at the whim of the painter.
I know...they're for my Ads not kits. Besides Stencils...Futura can be used for WW2 vehicles.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What scale is the model.
That’s why I mentioned the official number sizes in the British Army :smiling3: (Which apply to the Second World War and immediate post-war era, I should add.)

Are you doing a replica of the wonderful truck as in the photos
Good point. If the plan is to build a model of the restored vehicle in the photo, then Helvetica is not just fine but the best choice :smiling3:

I know...they're for my Ads not kits. Besides Stencils...Futura can be used for WW2 vehicles.
Sort of … I would use a condensed version of it as a reasonable match for typical British numeral style, but it’s not like the British Army used that actual typeface on its vehicles. The German air force, though, did use it — just not on vehicles, but for its manuals :smiling3:

Ju 87 G-2 manual.jpg