One that came very close to ending up as bin-fodder

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
This is the tale of my Revell 1/48 Beaufighter. There have been several other builds of this kit on here and very nice they've been too. And then there's mine:

I started this model round about April this year. It didn't get off to a great start - the lower wing was badly warped. I sort of fixed this by gluing and clamping in stages so it didn't look too bad.

The model then remained in primer for quite a few months partly because work was manic all summer as usual but also because I spent far too long putting off masking the invasion stripes. In the end I thought they turned out ok.

I finished up the other main painting and decided this was the model that was going to get some clear coats. I'd bought some W&N varnishes from a place that was open, thought they looked a bit on the thick side, wasn't sure what to thin them with so brushed it. I was somewhat disappointed with my efforts on the gloss coat but went ahead with decals and matt coat. Didn't think it looked great.

I then proceeded to completely mess up the undercarriage and lose one of the torpedo mounts to the carpet monster.

So here we have a wheels-up Beaufighter with no crew. On the plus side I was happy with how the exhaust rings turned out although they might be a bit big.

For those that have read this far I thank you, here are a couple of pics of it at the bench:

20201213_132616.jpg20201213_132553.jpg20201213_132528.jpg

She's been consigned to the highest shelf for now.

Nick

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Well, despite the problems you had, it looks great to me :thumb2: Nice model
Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Nick
Well somehow despite all the issues it has turned out to be a nice model. When you get problems and overcome them it can be quite satisfying :thumb2:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good point that Paul. At least Jock and his mate have brushes. Apparently some of them were painted on using brooms and buckets......nice build by the way Nick.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nick,
well done! At least you finished yours! - I gave up on mine, when I dropped it & wiped the undercarriage..............
Dave

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Thanks for your kind comments guys. Hopefully I can make another step forward on the next one.

Cheers,
Nick

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Absolutely no complaints from me Nick.

A great effort!

ATB

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
We all have build that fight us all the way. You've achieved a great result here.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nicely done Rick, glad you got through the difficulties of this kit.