Operation Chariot. The Raid on the St. Nazaire Dry Dock...25th. March 1942

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This successful raid by The British Navy and Commandos wrecked the only dry dock on the French west coast big enough to handle large German Capital ships. They would now have to steam for a home port in the event of needing repairs.........

An old American destroyer USS Buchanan, renamed H.M.S. Campeltown, and modified to look like a German vessel, was deliberately rammed into the dry dock gates. The British raced ashore to wreck what they could before trying to escape.....Of the 612 RN. and Commando personnel involved, only 228 returned to Britain. A few hours later the destroyer blew up killing 360 Germans and dockyard workers and totally wrecking the lock gates. The dry dock was not reopened until after the war.

Here's the Mirage 1/400 kit of HMS Campeltown. you get two kits in the box. One is Campeltown, the other is after the alterations to her ready for the raid.

The Mirage kits are first class. Stuffed full of bits! A Vallejo paint bottle is included for scale comparison.

So, obviously I'll be making the raid version. :upside: ;)

P1220426.JPG

Cast off, Mr. Blastoff!

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Front and centre please. Operation Chariot is straight out of a Boys Own adventure. Shame such an exciting, heroic story had to have the downside of so many lost lives.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Wasn't that raid the first one to use rubber-soled boots to keep the noise of the commandos running down?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Should be a fun build 570..........if there is blasting and other pyrotechnics, I'm sure the good Mr. Race will be parachuting in from "Race Towers" for a look see.......I'll inform Matron to have his jacket ready so she can keep him under "wraps". Happy Moggeling Sir. Rick H. :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Great to have such distinguished passengers aboard for this cruise up the Loire Estuary. Have a nice time!

Apart from a bit of rigging etc., this excellent 1/400 kit from 'Mirage' is finished. Great fit with little cleaning up to do.

I haven't been too fussy about her appearance, simply because she will be in a bit of a state for the actual diorama. That's my excuse, anyway!

The detail packed into this manufacturer's kits is outstanding. Even after I completed the St. Nazaire version, these was still a mass of parts left over. So the original 'Campeltown' must be an impressive model.
P1300219.JPG

Here's a few shots of her altered to look something like a German Zestorer. Painted extra dark grey for her night time dash up the Loire to St. Nazaire, she has 4.5 tons of high explosives encased in concrete stuffed in her bows, set to detonate as the last raiders left for the open sea.....
P1300496.JPG

P1300497.JPG

P1300498.JPG

P1300501.JPG

P1300499.JPG

This shows her four funnels cut down and the remaining two cut a German Zestorer angle.
P1300502.JPG

The strips of armour plating welded to the deck. The Commandos sheltered behind these during the dash up river....
P1300503.JPG

For a scale comparison. About 23cm (9")
P1280488.JPG

Cheers all.

Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ron,
how far are you going to go? Just before ramming the gate or after?
Piccy removed <

Dave
ps considering the Campbeltown was only in this position for a few hours, there are a surprising number of pictures - mainly Bundes Archiv. - also some pictures of what was left after the final explosion!

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, I'm having a re- think.

Pity in a way, that this picture has appeared.
I was hoping to avoid folks comparing my effort with the above.....That's wrong, this isn't right. That sort of thing.
Not to worry.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
RON for the life of me i cant see anything wrong as when you do your dio's they are fanstatic an we wont compare it with the pic that dave has shown we will be lookin at your dio an really enjoyin it as its your vershion an your work that matters well to me anyway so in my opinion dont think what you are an please carry on as we all love your dio's :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Since when have you ever bothered what others think, carry on my dear boy. I will sit at the front please.

Have to admit I've never heard of this before, how they must have felt when they embarked on the mission !

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I dunnno,....now you got me wondering if that's the right shade of black paint ;) Just have fun Mr. Ron and that's all that matters! I'm really enjoying the thread so far and I did like the pics Dave put up cause I never saw them before.....it only sparked my imagination as to what you were going to do with your efforts here, PCO mate! :thumb2: Rick H. (patient 358)