Opinions so far please

P

Paul Sargeant

Here goes,

This is a kit I'm currently building, Tamiya 1/24 Aston Martin DBS.

It's the one I had concerns about regarding the marks in the plastic I made a post about,

My new camera finally arrived [ sadly not before I got started so no pictures of the marks in question ] so I've taken some pictures of what I've done so far,

Please let me know what you think, you can be kind or cruel I don't mind lol but please bear in mind this is only the 3rd kit I've done ;) .

Thanks everyone,

Paul...

View attachment 106770

View attachment 106771

View attachment 106772

View attachment 106773

View attachment 106774

View attachment 106775

View attachment 106776

View attachment 106777

View attachment 106778

View attachment 106779

View attachment 106780

View attachment 106781

View attachment 106782

View attachment 106783

View attachment 106784

View attachment 106785

View attachment 106786

View attachment 106787

View attachment 106788

View attachment 106789

DBS1.JPG

DBS2.JPG

DBS3.JPG

DBS4.JPG

DBS5.JPG

DBS6.JPG

DBS7.JPG

DBS8.JPG

DBS9.JPG

DBS9A.JPG

DBS10.JPG

DBS11.JPG

DBS12.JPG

DBS13.JPG

DBS13A.JPG

DBS14.JPG

DBS15.JPG

DBS16.JPG

DBS17.JPG

DBS18.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, that looks rather neat and tidy Paul. Nice metallic effects and brake disc on that wheel system too. I don't think you've anything to fear, it all looks like it is coming along very nicely indeed.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
agree with Joe,nice start and looks to be good progress ;)

L

Laurie

Do not think you need "Critique Corner" Paul. The air must be good in Leicester.

This looks like a 50th model not a third. Some very nice paintwork. Man after my own heart. all neat and tidy.

Just I hope one helpful tip. Your pointed scriber is very useful in certain circumstances. But if you are cutting any new panels lines etc it would be best, to obtain a nice clean line, to use a cutter type. This actually shaves the plastic to produce a line. The pointed one pushes in the plastic and is not so easy to control. I have found two which are excellent for this work. Tamiya which I prefer for long straight lines. Baremetal Foil and Hobby Co. which I use more for corners and difficult places as it has a neater end. Also found this one best for tidying up existing panel lines.

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks faultless so far Paul . the paint job is excellent, I'd say there's nothing to worry about its going to look great, cheers Tony

First Name
Adrian
Now that's a cracking body shell colour. A big thumbs up from me and considering that's only your 3rd build I cant wait to see more :smiling3:

Adrian

P

Paul Sargeant

Thanks everyone for the kind messages,

Today apart from the decals for the steering wheel and the DBS logos on the seats I have finished the interior.

This is my first foray into Photo Etch and Flocking, The flocking was a total disaster, I'm not sure if I put too much paint on the floor or if I didn't wait long enough before sprinkling the flocking onto the paint or maybe a combination of the two but the "carpet" looks total pants, I'm just glad you wont be able to see very much of it when the body is on,

Paul...

Mmmm looking at the photos close up I can see a few areas that I thought were better than they actually are, what do you think? should I try to do more or will I end up spoiling it if I do?

View attachment 106853

View attachment 106854

View attachment 106855

View attachment 106856

View attachment 106857

DBSINT1 (1).JPG

DBSINT2.JPG

DBSINT3.JPG

DBSINT4.JPG

DBSINT5.JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I certainly couldn't do better so I would leave it all well alone, great job (you sure it's just you're third model)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Paul,and is that carpet in the back ? :D

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great - I suppose a right hand drive conversion is out of the question ?.................................................................No I'm not being serious.........honest......

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looks superb never built a car but looking at your might change my mind and have a bash

First Name
Marc
Love the model. Just a note on how I would do carpet. I wouldn't have the confidence for flocking at this scale. 1:12 yes but not this.

For carpet I would go on a matt paint, add more thinners and mist the ab on a high power from a longer distance. This makes the paint dry almost immediately as it hits the surface giving a powdery carpet like apearance. You have to key the surface with 800 grit or the paint won't stay on but this would give a much more accurate carpet look for the scale.

The body looks superb. I'm about to start the body on my 300sl and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Love the suspension detail, and brake disk. Good skill demonstrated there

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Another I missed. Apologies Paul! That looks superb, you're being too hard on yourself, the paint job looks great and the detail enhances the model. Nice work mate.

First Name
Dave
This is my first post on here and I'm glad that I'm able to post these words on here for such a great model. The body colour and finish is simply mouth watering, loving it. The flock carpet looks great and I'm sure will look fine once the body goes on, you've attempted something I'm not brave enough to try!

Just a little hint, if you want to get a decent line between a dark and light colour (not saying yours aren't, just the way I do it is easier!), I make a watery mix of the dark paint and white spirit (if you're using enamel) and apply it to the panel line between the two colours and let it run through with capillary action, hey presto, easy and neat meetings of different colours!

Hope you dont mind me giving you a hint on what is undoubtedly a great model, can't wait to see the finished article.

Keep it up and all the best, Dave

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Looks faultless so far Paul . the paint job is excellent, I'd say there's nothing to worry about its going to look great, cheers Tony
I fully agree.