Outside Shed Paint Storage?

C

Cooperman69

Hi,

I've just had a new shed/workshop built in the garden which one of it's uses will be airbrushing my models and I'm looking to store my modelling materials out there. The question is do acrylic paints, thinners, glues and varnishes have any adverse reaction to living life outside when temperatures drop low in the winter??

The shed will have an electrical connection but not a permanent one as I intend to just plug in with an armored flex RCD protected extension when required via a 16amp weather proof socket, so I won't be able to use a heater all the time.

There must be a few "Men in Sheds" out there so what do you do?

Atb, Colin.

T

tecdes

Hi Colin

I do all my work in the garage. The wall & ceiling are insulated but not the large garage door or the floor. I carpeted the floor & glued to the garage door 2" thick pieces of polystyrene all of which has been a great help. So that might be a agreat help to your predicament. You are going to have to heat your shed when painting as paint contains water & to evaporate the water it needs heat.

Not a clue about glues etc but suspect as they work differently to temperature differences.

As I heat the garage only when working in it I obtained a Stewart Plant Propagator which has a adjustable temperature controlled heater. But had to insulate with 2" of polystyrene to keep up the temperature roughly to 70 degrees. Seems that soil retains the heat when used as a growing propagator.

So I place after airbrushing (during the winter months) all the bits & pieces to dry off while the heating is off. It can take a1/72 Lancaster.

Perhaps a similar arrangement to store your paints etc

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If I was you I would by a large toolbox that you could have all your paints and wotnots in. Take in the shed and take in the house when done. But even then I am not sure how the paints would like the changing temps all the time. Warm paint cold shed..... got me there.

I have unfortunatly the comfort of a study in the house to work in. (for now).

Ian M

First Name
Andy
\ said:
If I was you I would by a large toolbox that you could have all your paints and wotnots in.Ian M
Hi Ian,

Would that also include Airbrushes and Compressors or would it be ok to leave them in the shed...

Many thanks...

Andy...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm not sure about that. The only problem I can see is condensation. Clear the moistier traps before you use it and give the airbrush a good blow through and you might be ok.

One thing I think you should consider is loads of insulation in the shed. Get a cold winter and you model building is going to suffer.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Critical thing Colin is temperature. In Jersey it is very rare to have a frost but most of the UK do & the intensity depends on you position in the UK.

So why not after insulating the shed (most heat 35% approx goes through the roof so that is the most important) get a greenhouse heater this will only come on when the temperature comes near to freezing. If you can get a defunct refrigerator for glues & paints this will perhaps do the trick. Keep the door open when you are working with a heater on then close it when you switch off the heater. With the insulation in the refrigerator this would keep glues & paint at a workable temperature for a good time.

If it has been cold I would run your compressor for five minutes before use. This will get it up to temperature. Get a heater with a low fan speed (not a convector as they will try to heat all the space) which is positioned & directed at you & the work top.

I have made my garage very cosy & with a little work I can see a shed could do the same. Polystyrene sheets are cheap & easy to cut & these could be lodged between the roof beams & wall posts. I fixed mine with a polystyrene compatible solution out of a tube.

If the weather is really cold I would transfer paints glue & compressor in doors.

Laurie

R

Richy C

TBH I would get a couple of cheap plastic storage boxes from B&Q or where ever and take what kit you need to the shed , any paint does not like extreme temperatures be it hot or cold , being an ex decorator I`ve seen 1st hand what hot and cold weather does to paint if left for a while ok its not modelling paint but its still oil based and water based stuff ,

like wise with your airbrush and compressor if you want to prolong their life , even indoors I tend to put my paint away in draws away from any sunlight when I`m done for the day , in my eyes keeping the paint out off sunlight and at room temp can only extend the life of the paint .

this is only my opinion and I`m sure you will get many different answers.

Cheers

Richy

T

tecdes

Actually Richy sure in most cases you are correct. But Vallejo acrylics have been designed so there is not alteration in their structure if frozen & thawed. Being in a plastic pliable container they will also allow for expansion.

Laurie

R

Richy C

Hi Laurie , you may be right mate but I would not chance it in extreme cold weather , as for very hot conditions no chance - any liquid/water will evaporate and you will end up with just a small solid block of paint pigments.

cheers

Richy

T

tecdes

You are right Richy. Afterwards I thought I should have said but it is not a good idea.

Matter of interest when in my teens & early twenties before disappearing to Jersey I played Cricket somewhere in Banstead. Cannot remember the name of the team. I was born in Hook near Surbiton & married this girl from Sutton.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for all your replies.

I should have also mentioned that I'm insulating the shed walls and roof with 50mm slab insulation and topping off with 9mm MDF sheeting. I also intend to use an oil filled heater when using the shed so hopefully will be cosy to sit in and should give enough heat to dry airbrushed paint.

I think I'll take the advice on bringing the paints and glues into the house when not used.

Looking forward to sitting on me shed with the radio on when the rains falling outside :smiling3:

Thanks again,

Colin.