Overwatch

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have used sifted/graded kitty litter, sifted/graded garden soil, sifted/graded silt from street gutter, broken up dry wall, broken up brick, ground autumn leaves, ground up tobacco, ground up & graded foam, lichen, and sedum tree armatures without pretreatment for over 30 years w/o ill effect.

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Have used sifted/graded kitty litter, sifted/graded garden soil, sifted/graded silt from street gutter, broken up dry wall, broken up brick, ground autumn leaves, ground up tobacco, ground up & graded foam, lichen, and sedum tree armatures without pretreatment for over 30 years w/o ill effect.
That's cool, cheers , good to know that anything goes!

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
As often happens life gets in the way of checking out the forums and bench time but have gotten a bit more done...IMG_20220618_174826.jpgIMG_20220528_125351.jpgIMG_20220528_125355_1.jpgGot these chaps sorted.
Using stock figures can be awkward at times ( gonna ave to try more major surgery next time ) when I first tried the fella crawling through the bush he look ok, but when he was finished I couldn't get him to settle in position properly.IMG_20220616_195819.jpgIMG_20220616_195834.jpgso I ended up with him pushing and pulling ! IMG_20220617_194310.jpgIMG_20220617_194344.jpgI knocked up a few tin cans from sprue and cardboard boxes, and added gear and weapons including the pak 97/38 and crew and finally finished the tree.

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
IMG_20220614_201422.jpgIMG_20220614_194433.jpgI also added some cut branches to the forward sandbags in an attempt to camo them a bit, I now realize forward planning forward planning!
Doh!
Hope to finish and tidy the base before Tankfest, so I can have a bash at something new when I get back.
Comments welcome and plonking the tree so central was lack of planning again...cut,glue,learn!!

Cheers Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20220618_173358.jpg
    IMG_20220618_173358.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 16

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dios looking dandy. He look s better coming than going.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Rob now i know abosolutly nothing on how you guys make these dios but i must say im impressed at all the little things that you do to make this look so real an this is not critsium just an observation but that german soliger in one pic there has a russian gun hasnt he as thats what it looks like to me but i maybe wrong the one with the wooden handle ?
chrisb

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is looking great, Rob. Are your figures glued in position? If not you might consider giving them a bit of stubble, using a very thin wash of blue/black ink (this idea courtesy Tim Marlow). Makes a surprising difference, IMO.

But really loving the work on the base. Like you, I'd seen Nightshift blacking out everything first, and generating impressive results, so it's good to see it can work so well for us mere mortals.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep,i like that too.... a LOT!:thumb2:,
Plenty going on,a great mix of armour,figures and plantlife..... and very nicely done:cool:,
Cracking stuff Rob;),
Andy

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Apologies for my late response, had a funeral to attend, 3rd in as many months!

Dios looking dandy. He look s better coming than going.
Yep think your right, cheers Paul.
HI Rob now i know abosolutly nothing on how you guys make these dios but i must say im impressed at all the little things that you do to make this look so real an this is not critsium just an observation but that german soliger in one pic there has a russian gun hasnt he as thats what it looks like to me but i maybe wrong the one with the wooden handle ?
chrisb
Hi Chris, you've got the right of it the fella has a Russian PPSh-41 a hardy reliable bit of kit that like most gear the Gerrie's thought good enuf they would use em. The Russians made over 5million by war's end !
Rob cracking work mate the scene and figures look great.
Nice one cheers Scottie.
This is looking great, Rob. Are your figures glued in position? If not you might consider giving them a bit of stubble, using a very thin wash of blue/black ink (this idea courtesy Tim Marlow). Makes a surprising difference, IMO.

But really loving the work on the base. Like you, I'd seen Nightshift blacking out everything first, and generating impressive results, so it's good to see it can work so well for us mere mortals.
Cheers Paul, yep da Nightshift thang does work even for the likes of me!
Can I ask do you recommend an ink? I have used Windsor+ Newton Indian ink for painting on paper and home made tattoos would that work, ?
Very very nice Rob.
Thank you Tim
Yep,i like that too.... a LOT!:thumb2:,
Plenty going on,a great mix of armour,figures and plantlife..... and very nicely done:cool:,
Cracking stuff Rob;),
Andy
Thanks very much Andy!

Cheers Rob.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For the five o’clock shadow part of the demo Paul mentioned I used Vallejo game ink well diluted in Vallejo glaze medium, mostly because I have them both on the rack. You could, of course, use any water based indigo ink and glaze medium. Daler Rowney FW inks are very good. They cover and flow well straight off the brush.

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
For the five o’clock shadow part of the demo Paul mentioned I used Vallejo game ink well diluted in Vallejo glaze medium, mostly because I have them both on the rack. You could, of course, use any water based indigo ink and glaze medium. Daler Rowney FW inks are very good. They cover and flow well straight off the brush.
Nice one thanks for the tip Tim, I've glued the fellas on the base but I'm sure I can give a few of them a quick slap round the chops with the good ol' hairy stick!
Cheers Rob

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Hey Tim you mention a demo here is it possible to see it?
Hopefully Rob.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hey Tim you mention a demo here is it possible to see it?
Hopefully Rob.
Hi Rob
I detailed my figure painting work in this group build subject …..
Hope it’s good use. If you have any questions, just ask.

Reactions: JR

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Hi Rob
I detailed my figure painting work in this group build subject …..
Hope it’s good use. If you have any questions, just ask.
Lovely job cheers Tim, I shall ave a butchers as soon as.
Thanks,
Rob.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just has a look at the figures, wow , most impressive. Love the shading on the material and that gun stock wood colour is very convincing Rob .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: