Ow b on

P

Pinz

Hello all completely new to this world and some of the videos I’ve watched just wow it’s like so real
Anyway I’m here to ask as many silly questions as possible to be the best of my ability and hopefully share some pix of my dioramas I’m hoping in the end to make one in to table for my partner so anyways nice to meet you all

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
David,
A very warm welcome to a great site. There is no such thing as a stupid question. We are all learning everyday even the best of us and I don't include myself in that.

P

Pinz

Can I start by asking what base is best to use extruded foam? Or is there maybe a cheaper alternative?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Welcome to the forum David. Ask away, no question is stupid.

P

Pinz

Been watching high eye workshop and he keeps mentioning wash’s i don’t know if this is something I can make just like white washing when painting at home or is this something I need to buy separate? And what do I use isopropyl alcohol for? I’m so confused but wanna get my bearings right before I start

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Can I start by asking what base is best to use extruded foam? Or is there maybe a cheaper alternative?

Not totally sure what you're asking David. There's all sorts of foam board available ranging from thin pizza bases - Ron's (Spanner570) favourite- up to thick slabs of insulating foam and the thinner high end plastic or card covered foam. The type you need will depend on what you're building. For basic groundwork, just about any sort will work although I'd recommend using a wooden board as a base under your foam for larger dios. (My local DIY store cut up a sheet of 6mm MDF for me last year. The sheet was 8'x4' and I got 4 pieces 2'x2', 4 pieces 2'x1'6" and 4 pieces 1'x1' for about £10 - enough for plenty of dios for single vehicles or small groups of buildings or large aircraft).

The thinner stuff covered with either plastic or card can be quite expensive but it does allow for really accurate work if needed. The cheaper expanded polystyrene stuff is great for rough brickwork.

Any local builder's skip is a likely source of foam as it is used in a variety of types and thicknesses for packaging. Obviously as cheap as you can get but I'd always ask before just sauntering up and picking it out from the skip!

I bought a batch of blue insulating foam a few years ago. I got an assortment of sheets 600x1200mm in 6mm, 10mm and 20 mm thicknesses - I think I got four of each. At my rate of building that's a lifetime's supply right there but I can't remember where I got them from other than it was a site on ebay.

This is the kind of stuff I mean, although this is only the first site I found - there are lots of others:

Those thicknesses allow me to build normal brickwork, rough stone for castles and the like, and I use the 20mm stuff for my groundwork, building up to the required thickness in layers. It fixes well with ordinary PVA although I've found you need to keep some pressure on the join until it sets (A few books resting on top of flat pieces and I use cocktail sticks or dressmaking pins as 'nails' to hold more awkward shapes together. These can be left in place or removed as required after the glue has set).

The cheap expanded polystyrene - the sort that breaks into little round balls - can be used to create rough ground and stone walls - have a look at some of Ron's builds as he's rather a dab hand at doing just that!

Can't help with your questions about washes but I hope this helps.

PS Welcome aboard.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
David .Welcome to our forum .
Dave has given you some great information there.
It all sounds very dauntinng when you first start out on this great hobby, but take your time, I'd say look at UTube. There's a guy on there called the Terrain Tutor , he did a starter type of video lessons. Ok he's maybe not everyone's cup of tea but the basic things he covers well. Then having an understanding of the basics you could look at a site called Scale War Machines on UTube who mainly do kit and and reviews of techniques , and my favorite a Australian by the name of Luke Towan. He has some really good " how to " videos .
Above all have fun, get stuck, as we all do , post a question and someone will come back with the answer .

Look fwd to seeing you around .
John

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Been watching high eye workshop and he keeps mentioning wash’s i don’t know if this is something I can make just like white washing when painting at home or is this something I need to buy separate?
A wash is thinned paint that doesn’t cover: the idea is that it will run into nooks and crannies, around detail, etc. so that the pigment pools there. This has several uses, including shading (if you have a medium green model, applying a dark green wash will result in dark green paint only in the areas where shadows will fall, to accentuate the detail) and weathering (if you put a dirt-coloured wash on a model, it will look dirty).

And what do I use isopropyl alcohol for?
In a modelling context? :smiling3: Mainly for thinning paint, usually for airbrushing. You can also use it to make acrylic paint that has thickened in its pot, usable again.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
IPA can also be used to clean your airbrush/brushes and to wipe the model down before priming/painting to remove fingerprint oils. :smiling3: