OZ-ooMS Tallgeese (1/100 Bandai Gundam MasterGrade)

First Name
Wouter
Hi guys and girls,

It's been a while ey. During summer I didn't do much modelling because of those silly high temperatures over here in the low countries (and pretty much everywhere else in Europe).
But now that the kids are back to school and the weather is pretty much more 'normal' I started to do some modelling again. Currently I'm building a BF109 (will start a thread soon) and in between I took a shelf queen out of the box again.

Something which is not my usual cup of tea: a Mecha out of the Gundam universe.

My introduction into the world of Gundam was the tv-anime series called 'Gundam Wing' which was aired over here in Belgium many, many moons ago. Up to this day I still like the series and one of the giant robots or Mecha which always interested me was the OZ-00MS Tallgeese prototype, flown by Zechs Marquise.

I heard many good things about the Bandai Gundam kits and decided to take the plunge into the world of Gunpla with the 1/100 'MasterGrade' Tallgeese.
The box art is very cool as are the things which you get in the box.
Box.jpg

Mastergrade kits are quite high end and come with lots of goodies. Basically the kit comes with an internal moveable 'skeleton' which makes that you can pose your model.
There are different colored sprues which mean that you don't need to paint your model per se...of course, if you know me, that wouldn't be the case. I want to weather this baby up :P

Here is Tallgeese in the nude. All plastic parts had been painted with Tamiya and Mr. Color paints

Tallgeese (17).jpgTallgeese (18).jpg
After that I had to paint the armor parts and attach them which goes quite easy.
Tallgeese (19).jpg
Tallgeese (20).jpg
Tallgeese (21).jpg
And this is how Tallgeese stood for about a year. It's jetpacks aren't added yet and the Dobergun and shield still need to be painted.

Now, these Gundam kits come with stickers, dry transfers and all. But one thing of these which I don't like are the stickers. Decals are so much better because they blend in far more easy than stickers. So I ordered replacement decals and at the beginning of the week I started adding them. There are plenty of those (same as on modern aircraft really) and I'm well over half way. I'll try to take photos of the decal process tomorrow or this week at least. Hope to have some of you with me during this ride :P

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
Nice to see you. You're right - we had some exceptionally hot weeks. I look forward to your bf109.
This looks fun. Seems a quality kit and builds up nicely. How tall is it?
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim, good to have you on board chap. I can say this is one of the best kits I've ever built regarding fit and engineering. In my humble opinion the Tamiya Char B1 bis which I built couple of years ago is number one, this one comes very close. It's 18 centimetres high so not a small chap ey :D

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
hey Wouter nice to see you back... i really don't like those mecha... but i'm curious to see what you will do.... looking forward... have a nice evening and welcome back

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wouter.
Reporting in, of course know nothing about any of this, but the quality is plain to see. Will sit at the back.
John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Wouter, good to see you back at the bench and I'm with Greg on the feeling of... I have an affectionate name for it...Gundamn. I don't build them but it doesn't mean I don't like them especially those that have been heavily weathered or are out of the norm with painted camo. I actually have a Zaku...the red one. Been looking at suitable wehrmacht camo for it. Are you keeping to the instruction paint scheme?

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Hi guys, glad to have you on board with me :smiling3:.

Richard, a Zaku in Wehrmacht camo, now that would be original! I'm keeping to the instruction scheme more or less, though I'm adding a bit more variation in the colors on the different plates. Actually this scheme of Tallgeese comes from the OVA Gundam Wing Endles Waltz', which more or less sequels the Gundam Wing story. But the several Gundam and Tallgeese were a bit redesigned. The original Tallgeese for instance was plain white with dark thrusters at the back.
Hopefully the weathering will work out, I read several horror stories that the joints of these Bandai plastic kits don't really like enamel thinners and similar spirits...:fearful:

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wouter...TMI on the Gundams...it's all Dutch to me. :smiling6: Yes I've heard stories on their plastic not liking enamels. I have some experts on Gundams amongst my build gang. I'll find out more.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Apparantly the plastics used by Bandai are the same as used by other manufacturers, but Bandai doesn't 'bake' their plastics after moulded. Something which other companies do. Technical stuff :D Learned that from some videos of Lincoln Wright on Youtube

Cheers

First Name
Wouter
And here I am with an update. This week I've been adding decals to the Tallgeese. It sure makes it more come alive. The decals are a mix of aftermarket decals and kit provided dry transfers. I bought the aftermarket decal set because most of the kit provided ones are stickers, which I don't like at all for various reasons. Hope to be able to get a clearcoat soon to protect the decals so I can start the first weathering step: chipping!
Tallgeese (22).jpgTallgeese (23).jpg
Tallgeese (24).jpg

Cheers

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you back posting mate. Didnt expect this for your return build. Looks like it has come together well. A great subject to be weathered and chipped. Good luck

First Name
Wouter
Hi Peter, feels good to be back mate. And thanks ^^

Hi Steve, how are you doing chap? Nah, it's something quite different ey...I actually started it in the old MM days but it didn't get much exposure, guess it's a bit out of most of us maint interest range ey :D These kits are actually very good and it's something else for a change, keeps the engine running so to speak :D

Chipping and weathering are the most fun parts for me so looking forward to that. Before I continue though I'm considering getting a spray booth. my man cave is way too dusty and this white finish attracts dust like a dudu attracts flies. And I don't want to take any risks of getting lots of dust particles under the final clearcoat :/

Cheers

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nice one Wouter,

looking forward to seeing this as it progresses, it's looking excellent so far buddy..:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Wouts,

I looked in on this the other day but didn’t have time to post. These kits are great, I got a couple for me and Harry to build last year and he did his completely by himself.
96E2AFBC-505A-48F7-A2E3-7C9CF62067F1.jpeg

91857BEB-ABD1-4C6E-BB58-A63BBAA02650.jpeg
I did the purple dude, but gave him a change of paint to something a bit more military .....intended to weather him up with loads of dirt, rust and missing paint. Not got round to it yet, he stands watch over my bench for now
23A8639E-A029-4D64-83C7-C840D027561E.jpeg
maybe watching you complete yours will inspire me?
Look forward to seeing yours take shape:thumb2:

Last edited:
First Name
Wouter
Hi Chris, glad to have you on board mate :smiling3:

Hi Si, good to read that someone else builds them. You got a photo of the finished one by Harry? Always curious to see those :smiling3:

And it's funny that you gave the purple dude a green coat, it reminds me of a Zaku now. Well, I hope to be able to inspire you, would be great to see that one finished!

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
Looking really good. Decals add so much. Not come across a kit with stickers. Are they rather thick?
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim, yes they are. If you would use them it would give a toylike appearance to me. Especially when you would weather it the stickers are unuseable because they don't sit in nooks and crannies and the weathering agents would accumulate around the edges of the stickers. I guess the major part of people who build Gundams don't paint them and use the stickers and it looks fine. But not to me :D

Cheers

First Name
Wouter
It's been a while since I did something worthwile showing. But finally we're there :P All the decals and dry transfers are finally in place on Tallgeese. I also painted the booster packs. I decided to paint them in a dark grey/black tone to have something to break the white a bit. And now it's finally ready for the most fun part of a build: chipping and weathering ^^Tallgeese (25).jpgTallgeese (26).jpgTallgeese (27).jpg
Cheers