Ozdell's 1/87 scale Ro, Ro ship Coroan Sea build

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi guys, thanks to Chris putting me onto the great Fine Scale forum I am modelling the ship out of 1 mm cardboard sheeting be a static model on my new HO scale garden railway at the planning stage, have moved to a new address,was able to bing my layout as well, that be a different post .

The ship is a Swedish owned and a Chinese design I fell in love with the design and had to model it,,with the help of the first owners DFDC , they helped me get the the DWG ship plans and I was under a few years back.

The ship is in 4 sections , she is just over 7 feet in length and 305 mm beam, the cardboard sheeting work out nicely, I have finished the bow section but thinking of rebuilding now happy with the finish and the second section built, am working on the stern section I think even harder build especially to do with stern door hydraulic arms, so any ideas be great, would love to have working rams be awesome, help needed there.

After this post I will be posting pics of the ship under construction , and yes plan to build a second R/C version , she is a stunning ship indeed, something different , has 4 decks with ramps on each deck, I too will be adding led lighting especially the main mast has those navigation lights in different colours, need help there as well.

Can't wait to get started.

Tony from SE/QLD down under

Attachments

• 187m-lange-roro-faehre-corona-58015.jpg
    187m-lange-roro-faehre-corona-58015.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 27
  • corona-sea-imo-9357597-am-57766.jpg
    corona-sea-imo-9357597-am-57766.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 27

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi guys, thanks to Chris putting me onto the great Fine Scale forum I am modelling the ship out of 1 mm cardboard sheeting be a static model on my new HO scale garden railway at the planning stage, have moved to a new address,was able to bing my layout as well, that be a different post .

The ship is a Swedish owned and a Chinese design I fell in love with the design and had to model it,,with the help of the first owners DFDC , they helped me get the the DWG ship plans and I was under a few years back.

The ship is in 4 sections , she is just over 7 feet in length and 305 mm beam, the cardboard sheeting work out nicely, I have finished the bow section but thinking of rebuilding now happy with the finish and the second section built, am working on the stern section I think even harder build especially to do with stern door hydraulic arms, so any ideas be great, would love to have working rams be awesome, help needed there.

After this post I will be posting pics of the ship under construction , and yes plan to build a second R/C version , she is a stunning ship indeed, something different , has 4 decks with ramps on each deck, I too will be adding led lighting especially the main mast has those navigation lights in different colours, need help there as well.

Can't wait to get started.

Tony from SE/QLD down under
HI again Tony welcome to the forum an hope you will enjoy your time on here as I have an they are great guys an gals on here an they are very knowledgeable
an please could you fit on full size pics as it nxt to the thumbnail button as on my windows 10 when pics are fitted in thumbnail it only shows half the pictures as it cuts off bits lookin forward to seein your pics an work an most important enjoy an have fun on here :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
ATB chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Thanks Chris for the kind works , you will have to explain a bit more about the thumbnail pics , I thought those two first pics I put on was the full size, I am posting some more of the ship built at different stages

The first two pics is of the stern and stern door ramps, third and forth of the bow which I am not happy with, very hard to to shape using sheet cardboard, , thinking about having another go again, last two section of the bow and keel a bottom plate.

Pretty happy with the stern section , each section is 537.5 mm long, height from water line to main mask is about 14 inches with a 305mm beam wide beam indeed, I will modelling a Ro, Ro port on my layout to fit two ships .

The rest of the hull is very easy to build, wanted the stern ramps to be open at port, and if I display the model at the hobby show, don't think it will be on in August because of the virus, the two train clubs I go to are shut down same with the local Men's shed sadly.

Tony from down under

Attachments

• 20200303_202105.jpg
    20200303_202105.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200309_093313.jpg
    20200309_093313.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 29

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris for the kind works , you will have to explain a bit more about the thumbnail pics , I thought those two first pics I put on was the full size, I am posting some more of the ship built at different stages

The first two pics is of the stern and stern door ramps, third and forth of the bow which I am not happy with, very hard to to shape using sheet cardboard, , thinking about having another go again, last two section of the bow and keel a bottom plate.

Pretty happy with the stern section , each section is 537.5 mm long, height from water line to main mask is about 14 inches with a 305mm beam wide beam indeed, I will modelling a Ro, Ro port on my layout to fit two ships .

The rest of the hull is very easy to build, wanted the stern ramps to be open at port, and if I display the model at the hobby show, don't think it will be on in August because of the virus, the two train clubs I go to are shut down same with the local Men's shed sadly.

Tony from down under

HI Tony when bring up your pic it will show two imges hit the one sayin full size on your right side an the pics will load up big an have you resized the pic from megabtye to killabyte ? an your ship lookin good this is the static one isnt it ? an yes every thing here is all cancelled an we cant go anywhere except to get medical stuff or shoppin an they even talkin about havin police rd blocks to check where you are goin lookin forward to more pics this time full size if poss Tony
ATB Chris ps ive sent you a pm

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony I have sent you an email with pics of stern doors opening an closein so have a look there an have you had a look through PaulE 's great model railway layout I think you will enjoy that as I have. Pity he' a bit burnt out as it was goin great what with his refinearary plant he was building but hes goin back to normal kit modelin I think for a rest then hopefully he will get back onto the rail layout. An tony Lee Drennen is also building a nice layout in railways under contruction if you have a look
chris

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Biiiiiiiiiiig project there Tony, With everything shut down you have plenty of time to model build. Looks like you have made a lot of progress so far. Look forward to seeing what comes next. I'm also a 1/87 scale modeler with one ship in the stash. Don't know when I'll start it...maybe next winter. Rick H.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony I have sent you an email with pics of stern doors opening an closein so have a look there an have you had a look through PaulE 's great model railway layout I think you will enjoy that as I have. Pity he' a bit burnt out as it was goin great what with his refinearary plant he was building but hes goin back to normal kit modelin I think for a rest then hopefully he will get back onto the rail layout. An tony Lee Drennen is also building a nice layout in railways under contruction if you have a look
chris

Hi Chris, many thanks I will check out Tony Drennen's layout, may of see it already and saved those pics of the stern doors of that Navy ship, I have plans to build a Navy ship down the track like the blokes ship, won't be as expensive as a carrier will be . Take care Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Biiiiiiiiiiig project there Tony, With everything shut down you have plenty of time to model build. Looks like you have made a lot of progress so far. Look forward to seeing what comes next. I'm also a 1/87 scale modeler with one ship in the stash. Don't know when I'll start it...maybe next winter. Rick H.

Hi RickH , many thanks,where about's are you on the forum want to have a look so I can learn on your builds like everyone else's builds .

Tony from down under

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tony, I build 1/87 scale WW2 military vehicles. best place to look is under military vehicles under construction or completed military vehicles. Rick H.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Tony, I build 1/87 scale WW2 military vehicles. best place to look is under military vehicles under construction or completed military vehicles. Rick H.
Many thanks Rick will have a look, I am interested in 87 scale modern tanks and other vehicles the Australian army use for a train load.
ex%20southern%20leopard%20059_lo.jpg Take care Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
VERY impressive project. PaulE

Thanks Paul haven't doing much work on the build for a short while will get back to it tomorrow night, we have the same interest model trains, I love toe two pics of your container yard would love to see some more pics of your layout, I model Australian American European and British.

Planning a new layout outdoors the only way to have a big layout, I love long trains , longer the better, will start sharing my layout once I build the bridge 14 foot main span .

Tony from down under

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pics are in Trains/Layouts under construction on this forum. Panzerfaux's site has a good selection of 1/87 military. Once you find something suitable you can search locally or Inet for a better shipping deal. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Panzerfux is not shipping to the US at present, they will warehouse your order until the Corona scare is over for 10.50 Euros. I might suggest trying Promotex.ca or smallscalehobbies.com Rick H.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Here is the latest update progress of my ship build, this is as far as I be going on the stern section moving onto the third and final hull section be an easy build not much detail, hopefully wont take to long to finish the that section, will have a res from the ship build, concentration on the bridge build .

Here are the pics very happy camper indeed , will blow the ship captain away very close to the real ship, once all cleaned up and painted be a stunning site.20200420_203720 a.jpg

20200420_203755.jpgIMG_1057.JPG

Pic three is the sister ship to Corona Sea before the name change of course still sister ships , give an idea what I am modelling, I haven't finished cutting out and gluing in all the ramp beams will take a while, rather finish the whole hull, not far away , the trailers are five across.

All the way along on the upper deck and top deck are exhaust vents, I have them to build all the extra detail, which I will use on the second RC build

Take care Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
How big will your R/C build be Tony ? THE SAME SIZE as this one if so this is only my opinion but if I was you id fit a hull joint in it an into two bits as Will was sayin on that other forum that he wished he had done that on his destroyer as he said its goin to be a job liftin the boat an he got to make up a casket to put it in an try an put it up on a roofrack if I read it propeberly but this is a crackin build an it will look great with the trains goin into it will they just go straight through or go in an then back out ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
How big will your R/C build be Tony ? THE SAME SIZE as this one if so this is only my opinion but if I was you id fit a hull joint in it an into two bits as Will was sayin on that other forum that he wished he had done that on his destroyer as he said its goin to be a job liftin the boat an he got to make up a casket to put it in an try an put it up on a roofrack if I read it propeberly but this is a crackin build an it will look great with the trains goin into it will they just go straight through or go in an then back out ?
chris

Hi Chris,yeah be the same size, yes be in two half's why I got interested in how you have done it with the Tiger build, could you send me some closer pics by email if you like of the two half's and how they are bolted . I plan to do the same with the cardboard build in two half's not four, Good thing is I can store the ship in two half in the bedroom cupboard, the bridge will come off will use it on the second build and yes be the same size, I will send you a pic of the props they are huge going by my friend standing in the middle of them while the ship was built.

Many thanks, I never thought I get this far, looking ad rebuilding the bow section doesn't look right made a few mistakes on the bow windows, as well.

Take care Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,yeah be the same size, yes be in two half's why I got interested in how you have done it with the Tiger build, could you send me some closer pics by email if you like of the two half's and how they are bolted . I plan to do the same with the cardboard build in two half's not four, Good thing is I can store the ship in two half in the bedroom cupboard, the bridge will come off will use it on the second build and yes be the same size, I will send you a pic of the props they are huge going by my friend standing in the middle of them while the ship was built.

Many thanks, I never thought I get this far, looking ad rebuilding the bow section doesn't look right made a few mistakes on the bow windows, as well.

Take care Tony

HI TONY yes i'll have a look up for some hull joint pics an info on how to do the hull joint will send email pics an info tonight as im now goin to work on tigers hanger bays as still tryin to make this all come to bits in case I get trouble on the workin hanger doors
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI TONY yes i'll have a look up for some hull joint pics an info on how to do the hull joint will send email pics an info tonight as im now goin to work on tigers hanger bays as still tryin to make this all come to bits in case I get trouble on the workin hanger doors
chris

Thanks Chris will keep an eye out for your email, I be sendin gyou one as well, have fun with the hanger doors, like me with my stern ramps a pain indeed.

Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Tony just a after thought I hope you have an upright bench drill because with out one you will not be able to drill the holes for the hull joint as these holes have to be very presise or the bolts wont line up with the holes in the hull joint
chris