Ozdell's 1/87 scale Ro, Ro ship Coroan Sea build

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Had a good read through Tony, some cracking work with no doubt hrs and hrs of research. Very kind of the Master of the vessel to be so helpful.
Hi John, many thanks, yeah sure lucky to in contact with the master of the ship I am modelling, haven't updated my build for a while,the hull is nearly finished.

Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
The latest update pic, of the very last two bulkheads cut and glued together, will have to be Saturday ship building night I will glue them in place,.

A big mile stone 30 bulkheads all up started the build in 2016, planning the 2014.
20200826_084950.jpg

Tony from down under

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tony , I have to admire to sheer determination to build something like this from scratch. I'm confused enough with a kit and vague instructions !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony im a bit confused about which part of the ship that you have shown there ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Tony , I have to admire to sheer determination to build something like this from scratch. I'm confused enough with a kit and vague instructions !
Hi John, sorry about not explaining enough those card cutouts sitting on top of the ruler are the very last two bulkheads all up 30 of them, if you think the ship is mind blowing check out my Bridge build, will blow you away, all goes well should finely finish the bridge construction, going back since 2014.
Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony im a bit confused about which part of the ship that you have shown there ?
chris
Hi Chris, yeah didn't explain what the card cutouts were , which are the very two last bulkheads making that 30 bulkheads later, I being doing a few changes to the layout track plan tonight, what have you being up to .
Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, yeah didn't explain what the card cutouts were , which are the very two last bulkheads making that 30 bulkheads later, I being doing a few changes to the layout track plan tonight, what have you being up to .
Tony
HI Tony well apart from building an paint spraying the masts now done ive had to put finishing off the masts till later as while its warm wheather ive had to go back to finishing off the hulls so ive been paint spraying both the hulls in their top coats paint so it give a nice hard finish of top grey an top red . Now this saterday ive got to fit in the hulls about nr about 70 port holes as the rest will go in the super struckture so a bit of a nerve rackin time comin on sat
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony well apart from building an paint spraying the masts now done ive had to put finishing off the masts till later as while its warm wheather ive had to go back to finishing off the hulls so ive been paint spraying both the hulls in their top coats paint so it give a nice hard finish of top grey an top red . Now this saterday ive got to fit in the hulls about nr about 70 port holes as the rest will go in the super struckture so a bit of a nerve rackin time comin on sat
chris
Hi Chris, breaking news I glued in place last night the 30th bulkhead , dating back to the beginning 2nd September 2017, I thought it was earlier than that , very happy to it in place, the big ceremony will be today gluing the last hull panel in, then the fun begins with the final 2 mm thick side panels, will be cut to the length of each section.

Thank goodness my ship doesn't have any port holes as such only rope windows, I will look at the bow and try to fit it getting it right , now I know the height measurements of the white and blue lines meet be interesting if it lines up with the port side.

I have a couple of update pics of the progress of the joining of the the large curve at the end of the layout, will be painting the approach module will be accessing the terminus station station platforms, 5 platforms all up.

On a high Tony from cloudy down under.20200906_084309.jpg

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I have progressed more , the second stern section hull is finely finished at long last after 3 years, I have being working on the funnel deck and funnel, is finished , still more detail and smoke stacks to glue in place.

Have now moved onto the the bridge and accommodation decks, I have made a start a year back and now glued the whole top deck and bridge deck together, will start finishing of the bow sides this weekend , wont be working on layout for a few days to I get over the skin cancer bioscopy on side of my heard .

Pic one the funnel deck only enough room for one trailer lane and containers.

20200920_081402.jpg

Pic two the funnel end will have louvers .

20200922_094947.jpg

Pic three the finished funnel , front join needs to be filled in.

20200923_204839.jpg

Pic four the funnel end with the louvers hand rails and piping

55516228_416562309103304_7941872701897965568_n.jpg

Pic five the rounded funnel and funnel deck, lots of detail ahead

56190015_470803033456882_6513193118404182016_n.jpg

Pic six with blue colour hull line , pretty happy has worked out well give and take a mm

20200922_211024.jpgPICT1557.jpg

Last pic of the real ship , I plan to cut 3 mm ply for under the hull for the ship to sit on.

I am now more pic updates on the bridge progress.

Tony from down under.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I have progressed more , the second stern section hull is finely finished at long last after 3 years, I have being working on the funnel deck and funnel, is finished , still more detail and smoke stacks to glue in place.

Have now moved onto the the bridge and accommodation decks, I have made a start a year back and now glued the whole top deck and bridge deck together, will start finishing of the bow sides this weekend , wont be working on layout for a few days to I get over the skin cancer bioscopy on side of my heard .

Pic one the funnel deck only enough room for one trailer lane and containers.

View attachment 398874

Pic two the funnel end will have louvers .

View attachment 398875

Pic three the finished funnel , front join needs to be filled in.

View attachment 398876

Pic four the funnel end with the louvers hand rails and piping

View attachment 398877

Pic five the rounded funnel and funnel deck, lots of detail ahead

View attachment 398878

Pic six with blue colour hull line , pretty happy has worked out well give and take a mm

View attachment 398879View attachment 398882

Last pic of the real ship , I plan to cut 3 mm ply for under the hull for the ship to sit on.

I am now more pic updates on the bridge progress.

Tony from down under.
HI Tony lookin good an now you have the funnel in place an the cutouts at the rear end im begining to understand which part of the hull im lookin at the rear end impressive work boyo are you still gonna have the ramps go up an down ?
chris

Reactions: JR

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony lookin good an now you have the funnel in place an the cutouts at the rear end im begining to understand which part of the hull im lookin at the rear end impressive work boyo are you still gonna have the ramps go up an down ?
chris
Hi Chris ,many thanks yes and still planning to have works stern ramps, will be a pulley system, should be able to hide them and the hydraulic rams as show, I have louvers I have to tackle, used for fan room, probably be big fans on both sides dsc00092_0  a.jpg

I will start filling in the side panels next job, will in next posting.

Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Now working on the bridge and accommodation deck , the orange life boat be another new possible.

20200925_064829.jpg20200925_064837.jpg

Going to be a challenge to build the bridge will have clear bridge windows, the only wall to work on is the bridge stair case and rear bridge windows.

61065054_2672854859410446_7260644773688508416_n.jpg
61132101_421044222075551_5451660859929526272_n.jpgdsc00085_0.jpg

The last one is a good pic of the front bridge windows all glass windows, I plan to buy clear plastic storage boxes and hope they don't shatter when cutting .

Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Being a couple of months since last update, working on the bridge deck now, glad I have a big photo collection now on the ship comes in handy , looking back at the last post pics of the bridge back windows where the wheel house door is and steps up to the com deck going to be fun . The ships accommodation decks and bridge was prefabbed, I have still lots of detail with added walk way around the bridge side windows, must be for cleaning the windows .
DSC02783.jpgDSC02820.jpg

THird pic is the stair case access to lower decks and toilet.

20201103_111933.jpg

20201103_115807 a.jpg

Last pic detail pic of one of the desks and the square post I be making tomorrow night, going to have to make a start on the bridge back windows, they are on an angle , have to guess that, wish I had the full plans, stuck with what I have, going to get then reprinted again to one scale not two .

20201105_082523.jpg

Pretty happy, going to take a while to shish the bridge not in hurry, we are having more hotter days now, nice day tomorrow, see if I can do some work on the layout after I get the yard work done.

Tony from down under.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Certainly moving in the right direction Tony, enjoying seeing this progress.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Tony hopefully a little help to you from me when you come to fit on the angled bridge windows make up a pattern to give you the right leaning angle for the windows thats how i did my tiger bridge windows an they came out ok
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Certainly moving in the right direction Tony, enjoying seeing this progress.
Thanks John, more work on the ship's bridge tonight cutting out the card for the bridge windows wasn't easy to fit, I hope the angle is right, I measured the com deck and worked out the length, the com deck over lapped the bridge by 22 mm's , divided by two , looks ok will ask the captain if I am on track , pics to follow.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Tony hopefully a little help to you from me when you come to fit on the angled bridge windows make up a pattern to give you the right leaning angle for the windows that's how i did my tiger bridge windows an they came out ok
chris
Hi Chris, many thanks , here are a pic of the bridge rear windows , the com deck is 22 mm's longer than the bridge deck so I divided by two.

61132101_421044222075551_5451660859929526272_n   a.jpg

First and second pic of what I come up with , very hard guessing, going to ask the captain to measure the windows and the height from the floor, very important to get right,, not in a big hurry want to get it right.

20201108_205703.jpg20201108_205711.jpg

Last pic with the D for door, be one of those water tight doors like on out Tiger., didn't do any work on the layout will tomorrow, nailing the track down on the bridge completing the bridge other than the bus wiring.

Tony from down under.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Have progressed more since last update, I have cut out and glued in place two rear bridge window panels, it has being hard to get the angles right, so I did a mock-up first , the last window panel port side going to a challenge , luck there is a window sill on the inside to help with gluing the panel in place.

HO scale figures are a bit small I may use 00 scale instead will look at that when I go to the hospital on the north side of Brisbane on the 4th of Jan next year, there is a hobby shop on the way home I will check out.

Fist pic the real ship's rear bridge windows, be easier if I had proper detailed scale drawing

.IMG_0247 a.jpg20201216_210206.jpg
20201115_111153.jpg

Last two of the window panels in place, was had, the last panel even harder I have a piece cut out as a mock-up, can see where the window sill ends, I am using clear plastic sheeting for the windows and will use the angle line cut from a clear biscuit box .

Tony from wet down under

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not an easy thing to replicate those angles Tony with out any plans, think your doing a sterling job .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Have progressed more since last update, I have cut out and glued in place two rear bridge window panels, it has being hard to get the angles right, so I did a mock-up first , the last window panel port side going to a challenge , luck there is a window sill on the inside to help with gluing the panel in place.

HO scale figures are a bit small I may use 00 scale instead will look at that when I go to the hospital on the north side of Brisbane on the 4th of Jan next year, there is a hobby shop on the way home I will check out.

Fist pic the real ship's rear bridge windows, be easier if I had proper detailed scale drawing

.View attachment 407889View attachment 407890
View attachment 407891

Last two of the window panels in place, was had, the last panel even harder I have a piece cut out as a mock-up, can see where the window sill ends, I am using clear plastic sheeting for the windows and will use the angle line cut from a clear biscuit box .

Tony from wet down under
Tony about window angles i made my self a template to use against the bridge then put the window frame to that way you get them all at the correct angle an yes i know i have plans but as you hav'nt you will have to guess the angle an then make a template as thats how i did on my tiger an they came out ok to me thats the easy soluition

Reactions: JR