P-40B 1/48 Monogram

T

treyzx10r

I needed something a little less complicated after the Widows so picked up this old kit. Very basic office and a Pilot pilfered from another kit

The fit is rather nice,no filler at all!

Going 'in flight' so gear up

Heres a neat trick ,drinking straws over the prop blades instead of masking. Should make it easier eh?

preshaded with some dark grey

basic od

Doing a basic AVG Tiger scheme

T

treyzx10r

The kit supplied cun sight is rather big and clunky so I scratched a new one out of wire and stretched sprue

The brown is down

First Name
Dave
Wow!.Didnt take you long to put that together.Ive built this one in the past.Did it in the flying tigers colour scheme.Still got it in my collection.I guess from the camo your doing the same?.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Trey. The P40 has a nice shape.

First Name
Dave
Sorry Trey.Just read your post again and see that you are doing the AVG scheme!.Look forward to seeing it finished.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Damn Trey, that was quick work. It takes me 4 hours just to get the parts off the sprue LOL

Looking great and the gun sight is nicely done.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start trey , i really have a soft spot for the old monogram kits, for their time they were well detailed and always had nice surface detail , although the fit could sometimes be a bit challenging ,meaning you lost quite a bit of it in sanding! The p40 always looks very cool in the AVG scheme , looking forward to seeing the decals go on , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas appreciate the kind words. Yea Tony really a challenge on some of these old Revelogram kits getting the seams done without destroying detail along the way. I lost some detail at the nose and wing roots but for a kit that costs under 10 bucks I really ca'nt complain! I've got the decals on and they went down pretty good for how old they are. Will start a little weathering after everything dries good.

First Name
Dave
Looks good Trey.I like the old Monogram kits.Got the Mosquito,P38 and B24D in my stash.

T

treyzx10r

Dave thanks,I like the old revelogram kits too,well some of them;) Chris thanks!

I'm calling it finished! Fun basic kit ,just what I needed to blow off some steam!

Cheers Trey

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant job trey ! It looks excellent in flight , 5 star job. cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Top job as usual Trey.I like the in flight shots as well.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's a cracking P-40 Trey.

A 5 star build mate.

A question though, how did you pose it in flight without strings or fingers showing, it looks great, but I'm mystified.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. Tony thanks ,as for the pics set the shutter speed really high and have a friend fling the thing up.......just kidding of course. I use fishing line to suspend it from the roof eaves then photoshop the faint lines out. Cheers Trey