P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

S

Sky Raider

Well gang, here we go with the build process pic. i have many now as i am about 6 week into it. At this point i will show you just a few and then upload more as time goes on if you are still interested.

Andy

A breif insight for you gang. The first picture shows the general layout for the rear fin. The struts are glued to the leading edge and the trailing edge, then the skin is applied, we use glue called Zap and it is as good as its name. There is instant Zap and 2 Minute Zap. Zap is even stronger and faster than super glue... once both surfaces are connected thats it. This is why we use 2 minute Zap for areas that need a little fiddleing with. The fin rudder isnt cut away from the fin until the skin has been applied. This keeps everything in line, for this we use a Razor Saw, very fine and very good for tigh gaps. Before the ribs are fitted it is advised to pin the rails to a flat surface this will reduce the risk of any twisting in the fuse, once this is done the ribs are fitted to the rails and Zapped in place. Pic 6 shows the ribs, rails and part skin fitted. Ignore this pic it is a little in front, my next upload will show you exactly how we get to this stage. Stay tuned for the next episode.

Andy

View attachment 17399

View attachment 17400

View attachment 17401

View attachment 17402

View attachment 17403

View attachment 17404

View attachment 17405

View attachment 17406

View attachment 17407

View attachment 17408

Rudder layout 1.JPG

Rudder layout 2.JPG

Rudder Skin 3.jpg

Rudder Skinned 4.jpg

RudderFin skin 5.jpg

Stab and Elevator.jpg

Top Fuse Layout 1.jpg

Fuel Tank Housing 2.jpg

Fitting the ribs 3.jpg

Ribbs Aft 4.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Grahame
Andy

Glad everything is now working OK! I’m sure this will be an excellent build thread.

I know it’s said that “a picture paints a thousand words” but a written explanation of what each photo shows is always appreciated, remember we don’t have the benefit of seeing the plans or the instructions. But if you’ve not got the time to spend writing just keep the photos coming, they’re great!

Grahame

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
AndyGlad everything is now working OK! I’m sure this will be an excellent build thread.

I know it’s said that “a picture paints a thousand words” but a written explanation of what each photo shows is always appreciated, remember we don’t have the benefit of seeing the plans or the instructions. But if you’ve not got the time to spend writing just keep the photos coming, they’re great!

Grahame
Thanks for the info. I did put a breif description on each file, i guess it doesnt show here. I will do something on the next upload. Thanks again for your help.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Well gang, here we go with the build process pic. i have many now as i am about 6 week into it. At this point i will show you just a few and then upload more as time goes on if you are still interested.Andy

A breif insight for you gang. The first picture shows the general layout for the rear fin. The struts are glued to the leading edge and the trailing edge, then the skin is applied, we use glue called Zap and it is as good as its name. There is instant Zap and 2 Minute Zap. Zap is even stronger and faster than super glue... once both surfaces are connected thats it. This is why we use 2 minute Zap for areas that need a little fiddleing with. The fin rudder isnt cut away from the fin until the skin has been applied. This keeps everything in line, for this we use a Razor Saw, very fine and very good for tigh gaps. Before the ribs are fitted it is advised to pin the rails to a flat surface this will reduce the risk of any twisting in the fuse, once this is done the ribs are fitted to the rails and Zapped in place. Pic 6 shows the ribs, rails and part skin fitted. Ignore this pic it is a little in front, my next upload will show you exactly how we get to this stage. Stay tuned for the next episode.

Andy
Its time for the next update of the build process. As you can see the fuse is built in two halves, top & bottom. This is Razor back version a little more tricky to build than the Bubble top but i think you agree its a much better effect on the cockpit than just having a straight back slopeing fuse. The skins have to be wet to form the surve in tight areas but generally are fine to deal with. It may sound odd but the hardest part of building these planes is fitting the skins. I have just completed the bottom section that you will see soon and it took all day just to fit the 4 skins to it.

Andy

View attachment 17409

View attachment 17410

View attachment 17411

View attachment 17412

View attachment 17413

View attachment 17414

View attachment 17415

View attachment 17416

View attachment 17417

Tail and Skin goes on 9.jpg

Stab and Elevator 10.jpg

Nose Skin 11.jpg

Optional Razor Back layout 12.jpg

Almost finnished top skin 13.jpg

Trimming skins 14.jpg

Filling the gaps 15.jpg

Trying the cockpit  Canopy 16.jpg

Canopoy 17.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Well gang, here we go with the build process pic. i have many now as i am about 6 week into it. At this point i will show you just a few and then upload more as time goes on if you are still interested.Andy

Andy
Its time again to let you see a little more of the old Jug. Here are the next stages of the build process. Hopefully it will be more interesting when we get to the scale detail stage. As you can see folks the upper canopy is complete and its now time to progress onto the lower section. All of the ribs sit nicely into place and form the base for the connection of the lower ribs, The fuel tank roof sits directly behind the .90 Four stroke engine. The wing support crutched are next to go in along with the fire wall and fuel tank floor. This is a tricky build section as you have to dry fit several parts and try to align them and make sure they fit before glueing them together. A shot through the fire wall shows how pefect this model is manufactured and the quality of the parts are second to none, exactly what you would expect from a TopFlite Gold Edition Build Kit. The final stage here is to fit all of the stringers rear of the wing bay before applying the lower skins. The front area is left until the mid wing section is constructed along with the section of fuse below the wings, This is to enable a better contour by applying the skins in one and then using the razor saw to cut out the removable wing section. Stay tuned folks.

Andy

View attachment 17418

View attachment 17419

View attachment 17420

View attachment 17421

View attachment 17422

View attachment 17423

View attachment 17424

View attachment 17425

View attachment 17426

View attachment 17427

Rib layout and Fuel tank roof 19.jpg

Fuel Tank Location 21.jpg

Lower ribs starting to go in 21.jpg

Wing support structure 22.jpg

Fuel Tank roof and floor 23.jpg

Section through Fire wall 24.jpg

Ribs complete 25.jpg

Ribs complete 26.jpg

Stringers complete 27.jpg

Stringers and servo linkages 28.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

Glad you got the pics posting problem sorted. That is a very impressive looking model there and very tidy work too. Certainly looks like she will be an awesome model when she is completed - especially at that size.

Keep the pics coming - looking forwards to seeing more

Regards..........Mark.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,Glad you got the pics posting problem sorted. That is a very impressive looking model there and very tidy work too. Certainly looks like she will be an awesome model when she is completed - especially at that size.

Keep the pics coming - looking forwards to seeing more

Regards..........Mark.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comments, it is much appreciated as this is my first ever attempt to build a Plane since i was a little kid with the Airfix kit. There seemed to be a problem with me having high enough access level to upload any files. I dropped a line to the site admin and low and behold the next day it was sorted. Thanks for your help also in trying to get me sorted.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Its time again to let you see a little more of the old Jug. Here are the next stages of the build process. Hopefully it will be more interesting when we get to the scale detail stage. As you can see folks the upper canopy is complete and its now time to progress onto the lower section. All of the ribs sit nicely into place and form the base for the connection of the lower ribs, The fuel tank roof sits directly behind the .90 Four stroke engine. The wing support crutched are next to go in along with the fire wall and fuel tank floor. This is a tricky build section as you have to dry fit several parts and try to align them and make sure they fit before glueing them together. A shot through the fire wall shows how pefect this model is manufactured and the quality of the parts are second to none, exactly what you would expect from a TopFlite Gold Edition Build Kit. The final stage here is to fit all of the stringers rear of the wing bay before applying the lower skins. The front area is left until the mid wing section is constructed along with the section of fuse below the wings, This is to enable a better contour by applying the skins in one and then using the razor saw to cut out the removable wing section. Stay tuned folks.Andy
Its time again to upload some more of the Thunderbolt. As you can see gang, all of the stringers are now complete and ready for the skin to go on. You will see a couple of pics of the rear wheel steer and rudder linkage along with the stab linkage. The Fire wall has now been installed and bonded tight with 30 min epoxy resin. This is best advised rather than using the standard glue, you would look quite an idiot when on the runway and you throttled up and your plane stood still as the engine took off down the strip.

Andy

View attachment 17433

View attachment 17434

View attachment 17435

View attachment 17436

View attachment 17437

View attachment 17438

View attachment 17439

View attachment 17440

View attachment 17441

Stringers complete 27.jpg

Stringers and servo linkages 28.jpg

Rear wheel steering links 29.jpg

Rear wheel set up 30.jpg

Servo link conduits 31.jpg

Engine mount fire wall 32.jpg

Rear of Fire wall 33.jpg

Tail end stringers and tail ready for shaping 34.jpg

Cut outs for scale vents 35.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Its time again to upload some more of the Thunderbolt. As you can see gang, all of the stringers are now complete and ready for the skin to go on. You will see a couple of pics of the rear wheel steer and rudder linkage along with the stab linkage. The Fire wall has now been installed and bonded tight with 30 min epoxy resin. This is best advised rather than using the standard glue, you would look quite an idiot when on the runway and you throttled up and your plane stood still as the engine took off down the strip.Andy
Hi Gang,

Its me again. Here is the latest installment of the Thunderbolt. This will almost complete the basic build of the fuse, almost ready for the glass covering. There is not much to explain here as you will see , its just a skin covering process with a little bit of filling here and there. The next episode will show you how the wings are constructed along with the fitting of the air driven retracts.

Andy

View attachment 17449

View attachment 17450

View attachment 17451

View attachment 17452

View attachment 17453

View attachment 17454

View attachment 17455

View attachment 17456

Lower skin begind 1.jpg

Lower skin with start of side vent 2.jpg

Tail section ready for block 3.jpg

Trimming round the wing support 4.jpg

An upright veiw 5.jpg

The tail block 6.jpg

Tail block 7.jpg

Overall with tail block and vent cutout 8.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Gang,Its me again. Here is the latest installment of the Thunderbolt. This will almost complete the basic build of the fuse, almost ready for the glass covering. There is not much to explain here as you will see , its just a skin covering process with a little bit of filling here and there. The next episode will show you how the wings are constructed along with the fitting of the air driven retracts.

Andy
Hi Gang, Happy New year to you all.

Well its been a slow process with the P47 for a couple of weeks. The model shop i use has had a lot of problems getting his delivery of landing gear from the states, he tells me it been some 9 months since he placed the order. Any way iw ent to collect the gear on Saturday and we still have problems. The retract units are ok (air) but the struts are too short and the off sets we tried will not accomodate the wheel diameter. So i have decided to jump the process some and started on the Cockpit detail. This i can thank some of you for for finding me the pics i needed. Anyway before we get to that i can show you the wing construction as far as i have it. The process can not proceede further until i have the landing gear sorted out. You will see from the plans that this is more complicated than it looks. The left wing is built over the right wing plan as it is an upside down veiw and visa versa for the right wing. Wow... what a stupid idea, if you dont be careful you could end up with 2 left wings. As you can see the wings are built in 2 halves and then joined later once the gear and all the servos etc are installed.

You will see a picture of Topflites Cockpit, this is purchased as an extra, well, i didnt think much of it so i set out to ask for some help with the pics, couldnt find any at all. Once obtained i set out to start to construct my own (scratch it). I have so far mangaged to build the left hand side but the components are not yet fitted as i need to weather the panel first. I will have this completed this week and will be able to show you. I think that you will agree that the scratch build was a good descision, shame i wasted 14 quid on the Topflite one.

I set to work on the throttle and bomb release quadrants and the the trim control and the power teke off box, finally the gun sight. All of this was made from Evergreen styrene and balsa. Take a look guys and feel free to comment, as you know i am a total beginer to all of this and would welcom coments and critisisums.

View attachment 17507

View attachment 17508

View attachment 17509

View attachment 17510

View attachment 17511

View attachment 17512

View attachment 17513

View attachment 17514

View attachment 17515

View attachment 17516

View attachment 17517

View attachment 17518

View attachment 17519

View attachment 17520

View attachment 17521

View attachment 17522

View attachment 17523

View attachment 17524

View attachment 17525

View attachment 17526

View attachment 17527

Topflite left.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg

c8.jpg

c9.jpg

c10.jpg

c11.jpg

c12.jpg

c13.jpg

c14.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Gang, Happy New year to you all.Well its been a slow process with the P47 for a couple of weeks. The model shop i use has had a lot of problems getting his delivery of landing gear from the states, he tells me it been some 9 months since he placed the order. Any way iw ent to collect the gear on Saturday and we still have problems. The retract units are ok (air) but the struts are too short and the off sets we tried will not accomodate the wheel diameter. So i have decided to jump the process some and started on the Cockpit detail. This i can thank some of you for for finding me the pics i needed. Anyway before we get to that i can show you the wing construction as far as i have it. The process can not proceede further until i have the landing gear sorted out. You will see from the plans that this is more complicated than it looks. The left wing is built over the right wing plan as it is an upside down veiw and visa versa for the right wing. Wow... what a stupid idea, if you dont be careful you could end up with 2 left wings. As you can see the wings are built in 2 halves and then joined later once the gear and all the servos etc are installed.

You will see a picture of Topflites Cockpit, this is purchased as an extra, well, i didnt think much of it so i set out to ask for some help with the pics, couldnt find any at all. Once obtained i set out to start to construct my own (scratch it). I have so far mangaged to build the left hand side but the components are not yet fitted as i need to weather the panel first. I will have this completed this week and will be able to show you. I think that you will agree that the scratch build was a good descision, shame i wasted 14 quid on the Topflite one.

I set to work on the throttle and bomb release quadrants and the the trim control and the power teke off box, finally the gun sight. All of this was made from Evergreen styrene and balsa. Take a look guys and feel free to comment, as you know i am a total beginer to all of this and would welcom coments and critisisums.
Hi Gang,

I promised you a look at the finnished cockpit panel. This is the left side of the cockpit. Still waiting for the retract issued to be resolved before i can carry on with the aircraft build. I'm looking for a Lathe at the moment. Cant keep relying on people who have no concept of urgency.

Andy

View attachment 17569

View attachment 17570

View attachment 17571

My Version.jpg

My Version 1.jpg

Control & gun sight.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far, I think you have done a cracking job with the cockpit fittings and controls so far - should look even better when they are fitted in place in the office.

I am enjoying watching this build very much, so keep the pics coming. I hope the supplies appear soon too as there is nothing more frustrating than being held up waiting for necessary bits.

Regards.......Mark.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,Looking good so far, I think you have done a cracking job with the cockpit fittings and controls so far - should look even better when they are fitted in place in the office.

I am enjoying watching this build very much, so keep the pics coming. I hope the supplies appear soon too as there is nothing more frustrating than being held up waiting for necessary bits.

Regards.......Mark.
Hi Mark.

Thanks for the comments...really appreciated. Yes you wouldn't chuckle about the landing gear. Six weeks now i have been waiting for the parts and when i get them the struts are too short, so we decided to go for off set struts, then we find that the wheel diameter is too big. In the end we decided to revert back to the straight struts and machine some parts in the lathe to extend them to lenght. I phone up today chasing and got a "they should be done for next weekend" 2 weeks to turn somthing that would take all of 10 minutes to do. I thought sod this, i'm not going down this route again so i have just brought a new WARCO mini lathe of the net. Should have it Tuesday. When i have set it up i'll show you some pics.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Mark.Thanks for the comments...really appreciated. Yes you wouldn't chuckle about the landing gear. Six weeks now i have been waiting for the parts and when i get them the struts are too short, so we decided to go for off set struts, then we find that the wheel diameter is too big. In the end we decided to revert back to the straight struts and machine some parts in the lathe to extend them to lenght. I phone up today chasing and got a "they should be done for next weekend" 2 weeks to turn somthing that would take all of 10 minutes to do. I thought sod this, i'm not going down this route again so i have just brought a new WARCO mini lathe of the net. Should have it Tuesday. When i have set it up i'll show you some pics.

Cheers

Andy
Well gang here we go again. After several weeks of waiting for landing gear and as many disapointments, we have managed to make some progress. I picked up the struts yesterday after having waited 2 weeks to have them extended as they were too short and set about fitting them into the wings. Guess what guys, they were wrong, the overall profile was too deep to fit in the space provided. I ponderd for a while and thought sod it. The ribs will have to go and the air retract units will have to be sunk deeper into the ribs. This means additional strengthening is required once the top skin has been applied. This isn't really a problem as i intend to fibre glass the undercarriage compartment and add the scale detail to it. The issue is here, that i may not be able to add the carriage doors due to the struts sticking out above the skin by a 16th. We will not know this for sure until the upper skin has been added and we can see where the wheel stops and meets the underside of the skin. Anyway, i have now moved on a few steps today and have the wings joined together. We should now be able to carry on with the build so you should see some frequent downloads from here on in. From the pictures below you will see clearly the problem that i met when adding the gear. Also the wings joined together with 30minute epoxy, glad it wasn't 5mins. Whilst waiting for the landing gear i managed to finish 95% of the cockpit deatail so my time wasn't totaly waisted. A couple of these you have seen but i thought that i would take a better pic for you. You will also see the gun sight that i made and my latest addition to the family.... my new lathe. No more waiting for people to do the job for me. I can now do it myself in a 100,000th of the time. With some help from Bogs and his mate John guiding me in the way of explaining what additional tooling i need to carryout what job i'm doing. I know, any idiot can use a lathe, it only turn round bars and a cutter travels up and down. Wrong, thats what i thought and then i thought i need to buy a Mill to produce square and triangular weird sort of scale things.... then Bogs tells me you can acutualy do this with a lathe if you buy the right attachments. So he is helping me at the moment and who knows in 6 months time i might know a minute fraction that he knows but will be able to produce some stuff. So if some of you out there are desperate for a small part and are desperate enough to ask me, i might be able to do you a favour. I promise that i wont take 14 bloody days to do a 20 minute job.

Andy:smoking:

View attachment 17625

View attachment 17626

View attachment 17627

View attachment 17628

View attachment 17629

View attachment 17630

View attachment 17631

View attachment 17632

View attachment 17633

View attachment 17634

View attachment 17635

View attachment 17636

View attachment 17637

View attachment 17638

View attachment 17639

View attachment 17640

Lathe.jpg

Strut7.jpg

Strut6.jpg

Strut5.jpg

Strut4.jpg

Strut 3.jpg

Strut2.jpg

Strut 1.jpg

Wing 3.jpg

Wing2.jpg

Wing 1.jpg

Floor.jpg

Cockpit right.jpg

Cockpit left.jpg

Gun sight.jpg

Rear Seat Panel.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Well gang here we go again. After several weeks of waiting for landing gear and as many disapointments, we have managed to make some progress. I picked up the struts yesterday after having waited 2 weeks to have them extended as they were too short and set about fitting them into the wings. Guess what guys, they were wrong, the overall profile was too deep to fit in the space provided. I ponderd for a while and thought sod it. The ribs will have to go and the air retract units will have to be sunk deeper into the ribs. This means additional strengthening is required once the top skin has been applied. This isn't really a problem as i intend to fibre glass the undercarriage compartment and add the scale detail to it. The issue is here, that i may not be able to add the carriage doors due to the struts sticking out above the skin by a 16th. We will not know this for sure until the upper skin has been added and we can see where the wheel stops and meets the underside of the skin. Anyway, i have now moved on a few steps today and have the wings joined together. We should now be able to carry on with the build so you should see some frequent downloads from here on in. From the pictures below you will see clearly the problem that i met when adding the gear. Also the wings joined together with 30minute epoxy, glad it wasn't 5mins. Whilst waiting for the landing gear i managed to finish 95% of the cockpit deatail so my time wasn't totaly waisted. A couple of these you have seen but i thought that i would take a better pic for you. You will also see the gun sight that i made and my latest addition to the family.... my new lathe. No more waiting for people to do the job for me. I can now do it myself in a 100,000th of the time. With some help from Bogs and his mate John guiding me in the way of explaining what additional tooling i need to carryout what job i'm doing. I know, any idiot can use a lathe, it only turn round bars and a cutter travels up and down. Wrong, thats what i thought and then i thought i need to buy a Mill to produce square and triangular weird sort of scale things.... then Bogs tells me you can acutualy do this with a lathe if you buy the right attachments. So he is helping me at the moment and who knows in 6 months time i might know a minute fraction that he knows but will be able to produce some stuff. So if some of you out there are desperate for a small part and are desperate enough to ask me, i might be able to do you a favour. I promise that i wont take 14 bloody days to do a 20 minute job.Andy:smoking:
Hi Gang,

Back again. Well having got over the landing gear issues ( i hope ) we have been able to progress a little further with the build. It should get a bit more exiting from here, with a lot of things going on. From this issue of pictures you will see that we have started to trial fit the landing gear, struts and retracts. Once happy we can commence to skin the underside of the wings. Once complete its time to assemble some linkages and install servos. Hatches are made to provide access to the servos once the skins have been complete. We will be fibre glassing this model so a fit at this point will be removed before glassing. You will see that the linkages have to be cut to length and then the ferrels have to be soldered to the rod. The servo spigot has to be screwed onto the rod once it is in the wing so as to get the exact length from the ball link to the bell crank of the ailrons.

Andy

View attachment 17647

View attachment 17648

View attachment 17649

View attachment 17650

View attachment 17651

View attachment 17652

View attachment 17653

View attachment 17654

View attachment 17655

View attachment 17656

View attachment 17657

View attachment 17658

View attachment 17659

View attachment 17660

View attachment 17661

View attachment 17662

View attachment 17663

View attachment 17664

View attachment 17665

Reyract 1.jpg

Retract 2.jpg

Retract 3.jpg

Retract 4.jpg

Wing Skin 1.jpg

Wing Skin 2.jpg

Wing Skin 3.jpg

Wing Skin 4.jpg

Wing Skin 5.jpg

Air retract.jpg

Flaps 2.jpg

Ailron 2.jpg

Ailron crank 1.jpg

Ailron crank 2.jpg

Ailron linkage 1.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

S

Sky Raider

P47 Thunderbolt construction

Well Gang, back again.

I have made some progress sindce the last downlaod, finnished skinning the wings. The process starts with the leading edge skin first and then the aft. We complete the bottom of the wing first and then the top. Before the top skin goes on you will see that we have to use the jig tabs supplied, this keeps the wing from warping. Critical error if missed. From there we move on to seperate the flaps. These are optional on this model bit i have built them in for better landing and take off control. Once the flaps are cut away a oblong leading edge is glued into place along with the contol horn. These have to be sculpted into shape with a razor plane and permagrit block. This was very fiddlie as you have to make sure that every thing fits we when ll in place and lines up with the upper wing skin. I have yet to complete the wing tips and the leading edge. You will also see, at the leading edge in the middle, the dowles that are required to retain the wing into the fuse. The servos are in place for the drop tank and the ailrons. I have cut the hatched for the flap servos and they are added later. I thought that once the skins have gone on we would be fibre glassing... Looks like i have a little more work to do before we get to that stage.

Andy

View attachment 17717

View attachment 17718

View attachment 17719

View attachment 17720

View attachment 17721

View attachment 17722

View attachment 17723

View attachment 17724

View attachment 17725

View attachment 17726

View attachment 17727

View attachment 17728

View attachment 17729

View attachment 17730

View attachment 17731

View attachment 17732

View attachment 17733

View attachment 17734

View attachment 17735

View attachment 17736

View attachment 17737

View attachment 17738

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Wing 2.jpg

Wing 1.jpg

Shape 8.jpg

Shape 7.jpg

Shape 6.jpg

Shape 5.jpg

Shape 4.jpg

Shape 3.jpg

SWhape 2.jpg

Shape 1.jpg

Joint 6.jpg

Joint 5.jpg

Joint 4.jpg

Joit 3.jpg

joint 2.jpg

Joint 1.jpg

D

Dingo

Wow any bigger Andy and you'll be able to sit in it and fly it, man that's a great build of a great plane wish I could do stuff like that. I have a Red Baron here I got from a magazine and now I wish I never had bought that dammned:censored2 thing it's caused me so much trouble:emo10: but this year I intend with the help of the Red Baron Tutorial by Barry (womwinglo):respect1: , to finish the thing once and gfor good or blow it up complete by sending it into space :sobbing:

Dingo :cool2:

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Wow any bigger Andy and you'll be able to sit in it and fly it, man that's a great build of a great plane wish I could do stuff like that. I have a Red Baron here I got from a magazine and now I wish I never had bought that dammned:censored2 thing it's caused me so much trouble:emo10: but this year I intend with the help of the Red Baron Tutorial by Barry (womwinglo):respect1: , to finish the thing once and gfor good or blow it up complete by sending it into space :sobbing:Dingo :cool2:
Hi Mate,

How is it now down under, hope things are getting better for you all. Thanks for your comments on the build. I'm sure you would do just as good a job. I dont have the experience of all you people on here. This is my very first build project ever. At this scale it is fairly easy because of the size and the kit quality is second to non, TOPFLITE GOLD EDITION. I was also introduced to YELLOW Planes. Find them on the search engine and have a look at their gear. Of course there is the cost factor also to consider. Because this is my first project i have had to set up a good work shop with 3 benches and brought all of the tools i need to do any job i may come across, in all i must have spent around £4500.00. The next project will cost a whole lot less as i have all the tooling. The idea is to build the P47, fly it and then sell it. This will return some money and pay for the next project.

I will be uploading the next set of pics tomorrow, further construction of the wings.

Keep well.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Hi Gang,

Back again... well things now are starting to get good. We can see a light at the end of the tunnel. We have the wings 99% complete, the Fuse 99% complete, the Stab & Fin 99% complete. We are now at the filling and filleting stage. Next will be fibre glassing. Pics below show that we have now seperated the flaps and the alerons. These had to be shaped at the leading edge and the horn blocks fitted. The flaps and alerons are then fitted back to the wing so that the wing tip blocks can be added and sculped into shape. Permagrit blocks are a god send for this job along with the razor plane. With all this done you will see that the wings meet the fuse for the first time in the build. This stage we have to create a fillet where the fuse meets the wing, I will show this when i have got some snaps. It is now that you realise just how big this beutiful plane is.

Andy

View attachment 17761

View attachment 17762

View attachment 17763

View attachment 17764

View attachment 17765

View attachment 17766

View attachment 17767

View attachment 17768

View attachment 17769

View attachment 17770

View attachment 17771

View attachment 17772

View attachment 17773

View attachment 17774

View attachment 17775

View attachment 17776

View attachment 17777

View attachment 17778

View attachment 17779

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

WF1.jpg

WF2.jpg

WF3.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

I have been following this build with interest and I must admit it is certainly starting to take shape now and looking very nice indeed. I love the work you have done on it so far. I can see this one being a really nice plane once she is finished.

I only have to look at photo's like this just to get me in a building mood and that is a good thing !!.

Keep us posted with pics.

Regards......Mark