P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

G

Gladiator111

\ said:
Hi Chris,Thanks for your valued comments. Yes im lucky to have the workshop... all those tool you see and everything to do with the hobby, i brought this year to build this project. I have spent more on tools than i have on the Jug. The lathe alone was a fortune. I couldnt list what i have tool wise or part wise and i must have at least 2 of everything if not more. I just love to have the stuff, probably will never use most of it. Its just good to know that it is there if i need it.

Space wise... take a look up your loft. Before i started the Jug i was converting the loft for storage, could get 2 single beds up there. The idea though is to clear the spare room and move everything up there. A bit of chipboard flooring, some plasterboard, paint a light and a heater for the winter and you have got yourself another room. and if your lucky the misses will never go up there, scared of spiders ha ha.

Thanks again mate

Andy
Heh, yes I decked out the attic a couple of years ago and put electric up there. Oh, to have my own space - to get away from 'er indoors and the three offspring terrrors... However, one big flaw in your idea Andy - wifey is not afraid of spiders. So the sewing machine, interlocker and fousands of fabric bags now adorn the roof space.

Oh well, banished to the garage... :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Heh, yes I decked out the attic a couple of years ago and put electric up there. Oh, to have my own space - to get away from 'er indoors and the three offspring terrrors... However, one big flaw in your idea Andy - wifey is not afraid of spiders. So the sewing machine, interlocker and fousands of fabric bags now adorn the roof space. Oh well, banished to the garage... :smiling3:
Hi mate,

Tell her it is a fire hazzard and it isnt advisable to have so much flamable material in there, she might think twice.

Dont panic, im in the fire business and i have never know of it happening yet mate. Prevention is the best cause though.

Andy

G

Gladiator111

Hi Andy,

Yes, me and the missus have had that conversation already and I have taken precautions as well, 2 fire extinguishers Co2 and water. Heh, and I may have over exaggerated with the "fousands" of bags ;) but thanks for the kind warning chap.

Chris

S

Satnav313

Looking great, you gave done an amazing job. I have 1 burning question to ask you.

How many hours has it taken you so far?

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Looking great, you gave done an amazing job. I have 1 burning question to ask you.How many hours has it taken you so far?
Hi Satnav.

Thanks for the kind comments. I wish i could tell you exactly how many hours i have put into this build but i cant. I realise now that what i should have done was kept a record but i didnt... i can tell you that i started at the begining of October last year and have worked an hour at night, on some occasions 2 hours, all weekends between, an average of 10 hours Sat and 10 Sun and a weeks hoilday all week and bank holidays all day. Now that is a tidy amount of hours and i should calculate it but never have the time as i am too busy building the Jug.

At a guess it would be:

25 hours a week if you dont count holidays and bank holidays multiply that by 10 months gives an average 1000hours +, comes out around 125 days calculated on 8 hours a day. All this does not inc the hols, so a min avarage of 125 days + or a 1000+ hours. Wow, it soon adds up. The time has flown by.

Andy

S

Satnav313

WOWZA! Im tired just thinking about it. All that time, dont you ever feel like youve had enough?

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
WOWZA! Im tired just thinking about it. All that time, dont you ever feel like youve had enough?
No mate,

I have really loved this build. I have today just set the wheels in motion for the next project. The kit is in the shop now, a kit that is around 20 years old and has to be built the same process as the Jug. This one will be electric as it has 2 engines and i would hate for a glow engine to fail when it is in flight.

Looks like i will be starting all over again soon. Get this one complete first.

Thanks

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Frankly that makes your achievement even more remarkable. Believe me, you wouldn't want to see my early efforts, well,not unless you wanted a good laugh!!I have found that modelling (mainly) WW2 subjects has opened up a whole world of history for me and not just the airplanes.The P-47 was a remarkable machine and you have definitely done it justice with your build.

cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

Sorry mate... i missed your post. I agree, i just love war birds too. I must admit i never intended to get into fixed wing as originally i wanted to be a Heli man and built the Raptor 50. This i did 18 months ago and have still never flown it. I went to the model air show at Weston and since then its war birds for me now all the way. I have just aquired a kit that is untouched and is 20 years old. A kit you couldnt but today off the shelf or to order. It will take longer than the Jug to build as it is a B25. Cant wait to finish the Jug and get to it. Happy now i have a Winter project.

Thanks again

Andy

S

Satnav313

What scale is the B25?

I cant wait to see that being built, but as for the P-47, its looking brill mate keep up the hard work.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
What scale is the B25?I cant wait to see that being built, but as for the P-47, its looking brill mate keep up the hard work.
Hi mate,

The kit is that old we dont know the scale as it is not on the box, i would persume by looking at it it is around 1/6th scale. Loads of cockpit detail to get my teeth into.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Hi Gang,

Pictures are getting few now as i am on the very last stages of the Jug. Here are the latest for you.

The service hatch is now complete, I forgot to install the remote glow. Besides the On/Off combined recharge swicth we have the following from top to bottom right.

Fuel intake

Air Pressure indicator

Air intake

Remote Glow Plug.

We have the bomb releases fitted to the wings now along with the drop tank setup. I had to make the drop tank assembly out of a bit of G10, you can see it next to the servos. Not a lot of room in there guys. The engine inspection hatch provides access to the carb adjuster and the air damper not sure you can make these out. The rod with the red rubber on is the carb adjuster the other bent wire closes a damper on the air intake. There is also a short piece of tube from the breather to allow me to inject after run oil into the engine with a syringe.

I have today started up the lathe for the first time since I bought it all them months ago, I am making a dummy engine out of Ali so that i can then mould them for the cowl section.

Andy

View attachment 19000

View attachment 19001

View attachment 19002

View attachment 19003

View attachment 19004

View attachment 19005

View attachment 19006

View attachment 19007

View attachment 19008

View attachment 19009

Bomb release.jpg

Carb access.jpg

Drop tank release and supports.jpg

Engine link up 1.jpg

Engine linkup 2.jpg

Lower Wing detailed.jpg

Service hatch.jpg

Service hatch completed.jpg

Servos and fuel tank.jpg

Wiring layout.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Apologies guys, the assembly next to the servos is not the drop tank, that is in the wing section, it is the air retracts assembly.

Andy

S

Satnav313

\ said:
Hi mate,The kit is that old we dont know the scale as it is not on the box, i would persume by looking at it it is around 1/6th scale. Loads of cockpit detail to get my teeth into.

Cheers

Andy
Its a big one then!

Im sure you'll make a masterpiece out of it. The new pics of p47 are great, but I still cant wait to see it fly.

Tom =]

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Its a big one then! Im sure you'll make a masterpiece out of it. The new pics of p47 are great, but I still cant wait to see it fly.

Tom =]
Me too mate, because i have yet to learn, it wont be me flying the maiden flight, i will leave that to one of the club aces.

Thanks

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Back to the saga of the dreaded rotary engine, as you can recall... after deciding the Topflite effort was no good as the definition wasn't there i decided to make one out of wood. Well, after using the bigger engine it wasnt possible to get my creation to fit as the distance to the front of the cowl was diminished dramaticaly... so i whent back to the topflite effort and added some scale to it and it looked great. After the engine was fitted and the cowl fitted guess what. Yes still the problem with the depth. This time i have decided to fit the engine, backplate and cowl and am going to build the engine to fit in the gap available.

I set up the lathe and made a copy of a engine cylinder to the dimensions that i had taken. I then brought some Silicon moulding agent and some P U resin for casting and set out to cast some half cylinders. I will show you these as i have them, in the mean time this is my effort to make the engine crank case.

Andy

View attachment 19039

View attachment 19040

View attachment 19041

View attachment 19042

View attachment 19043

View attachment 19044

View attachment 19045

View attachment 19046

View attachment 19047

View attachment 19048

View attachment 19049

View attachment 19050

View attachment 19051

View attachment 19052

Make a new rotary engine 1.jpg

Rotary engine 2.jpg

Rotary engine 3.jpg

Rotary enginre 4.jpg

Engine crank case 5.jpg

Crank case 6.jpg

Crank case 7.jpg

Crank case 8.jpg

Crank case 9.jpg

Crank case 10.jpg

Crank case 11.jpg

Crank case 12.jpg

Crank case 13.jpg

Crank case 14.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Today is a good day.

I have turned off the light at the end of the tunnel. The Jug is complete, 10 months of work and my first ever project is finnished. I cant wait to start the B25. Her indoors said i have to do some work in the house now, like finish the loft conversion i started before i got to work on the Thunderbolt. The break will probably do me good.

Here are the closing pictures for you to see. The model will be on show next Sunday at the clubs open day, i might even win the scale class if im lucky.

Here i show the finished cylinder head that was done on the lathe and the mould making and casting process. Then onto the final cowl finish. I hope you have all enjoyed this thread as much as i have enjoyed this project. Thank you all for your kind and very welcomed comments that you have posted. Stay tuned for the next one.

I will post some pics of the jug on display at the open day and get some video footage when she is in action.

Andy

View attachment 19059

View attachment 19060

View attachment 19061

View attachment 19062

View attachment 19063

View attachment 19064

View attachment 19065

View attachment 19066

View attachment 19067

View attachment 19068

Cylinder Head.jpg

Making the mold.jpg

Mould 2.jpg

Mould 4.jpg

Mould 5.jpg

Oil Rong.jpg

Oild ring 2.jpg

Rotary 1.jpg

Rotary 5.jpg

Rotary 6.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Criticisms? you've got to be kidding. Congratulations on finishing the job. It looks wonderful. I know next to nothing about this kind of model but I do know that you've done a great job on it. I have found myself checking your build thread more frequently as you have closed in on the winning post. I shall look forward to seeing her in the air.

Well done Sir.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Criticisms? you've got to be kidding. Congratulations on finishing the job. It looks wonderful. I know next to nothing about this kind of model but I do know that you've done a great job on it. I have found myself checking your build thread more frequently as you have closed in on the winning post. I shall look forward to seeing her in the air.Well done Sir.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve, i am really glad you enjoyed this build. As i have said before, if it wasnt for Dave Platts fantastic DVDs i wouldnt have even got half way by now and the build quality would have been rubbish. I've started cleaning up the workshop now, getting ready for the B25. This i think will be a good thread because it is a twin engine with plenty of cockpit detail and i have the added fact that i have one successful project under my belt... this next one should be even better.

I have attached a picture of how Topflite intended the jug to be when constructed.

Thanks Steve,

Andy

View attachment 19069

topa0135-1a.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
awesome build !
Thanks mate, your comments are very welcome. Makes the build even more spectacular. As you know, the work you do is good but when someone comments you only then realise how good a job you have done. I love the Ninja, please post some more of your fantastic work. It is so well constructed it is a credit to you.

Thanks again mate

Andy