P-61Black Widow 1/48 Revell

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think if ever I build a widow, I will be getting the one from Great Wall....

You are really using a lot of fettling tricks on this one.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey you've got one big task on your hands but your making a real good job of it.

Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Storming along with this one. Looking very good. I don't envy all the canopy masking...

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas, I wish I would have shelled out the extra coin for the great wall kit for sure Ian. Then again as I was gifted the one kit I really had no choice;) .The canopy masking will be a chore no doubt Colin but hopefully not as bad as the FW189 or the 188 was. Then again there are 2 sets to do grrrrrrrrrr.

I've gotten the canopy in place and filled the gap at the front with green putty

Next I masked off the canopy and added more green putty to cure the step on the starboard side

after sanding,then masked again and applied some testors flat black enamel to the area

this filled in the minor defects and its on its way to being ready for some added sub assemblies now

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey this a labour of love. Keep the good work up.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Vaughan appreciate the support! I'm on to tackling the engines ,first the gear up booms. I ordered some a/m resin nacelles and thought they came with the end adjustable cooling cowls as pictured in the ad(not!) be forwarned ordering stuff ask questions!

they also need lots of sanding and trimming,even had to remove a blob of resin that dribbled down each side,hey at least it was the same on both parts!

Next I had to do some surgery as the kit supplies an open and closed cooling cowl on each boom,WHY!?

Card stock added over the lower cowl area,later I'll add some mesh back in

Closed cowl from the gear down boom needs a plug to get the correct length back and a strong glueing point

The cowl ring side needs the same

Trimmed and sanded

Glued in place with the better looking side turned out.the blems will be sanded out later. I left the nasty ones inboard so they wo'nt stick out as bad.

I'm starting to get a grip on ship 1,now I need to research the engine mounting detail and figure out how much ship 2 cowls will be opened up, if at all! I really want to have an engine in mid removal for the finished build but wondering how authentic i can make it look. Any pics of an engine removal would be great not having much luck finding any on line.

C

CDW

Just read through this Trey...

You've certainly took on a bit of work here, but it's all coming together bit by bit, i got a bit lost with all the cowling adjustments and stuff but hey, i'm an aircraft thicko :smiling3:

looking forward to seeing it all finshed, i take it they'll be in a diorama from what you say about having an engine half out one of them?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
The work thats going into these Widows is the biz. Can't wait of more.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Colin believe me I got lost a few times doing it! Yes I'm going to have a go at my first really involved Dio. Tony thank you. Ian I'm wondering about that as well,its a love hate thing I geuss;) Next up prepping the cowls and engines . The kit supplied engines were too small in diameter for the new cowls causing them to sit too far forward. I remedied this with a strip of tamiya tape around the engine base then ca glued it in place once I was sastified it was square.

While that cured I started adding the resin bits to the other engines. Required some minor surgery but a straight forward modification. Cut away the area to be replaced and sanded to fit.

Engines ready to mount on ship 1 booms,the other engines need more work yet.

Ca glued in place ,there are a few small gaps to fill and some sanding yet to be done

K

Kressy13

This is coming along well mate. Going to be a couple of great looking aircraft.

Cheers

Kresten

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey your dedication to this build is incredible. I think on your next build you should take it easy.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Kresten! Vaughan think you're right ,thanks! Ship 2 canopy time,same as the first set with the exception of the open hatches. Surprisingly this seems to fit a bit better than the other one . I'm geussing not having the canopies closed leaves enough free surface area for the assembly to flex more?

Decided to start working on the Eduard resin wheels,must say these things are nicely cast.

Next up the dreaded canopy mask session!

T

treyzx10r

I got one canopy masked,one to go!

Flaps up for ship 1 installed

Getting some gear together for the dio this is what I've found so far on evil bay

T

treyzx10r

Wings are in place !

Some gaps here and there need to be filled

After sanding and later a touch of primer will blend it in

Booms are up next!

T

treyzx10r

After much test fitting I went for it and they ligned up ok after some tweaking as the glue set. There is still an ugly gap on all sides that needs a lot of filler. Good thing I bought 2 tubes of green putty last time at the LHS!

After a lot of tedious sanding I've got a join I can at least live with

Ship one is ready for some fine finish sanding.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some skillful work there Trey, the boom joins are looking GOOD. Just the matter of the other one now, great work keep it up looking forward to the next update

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ian appreciate the support!

Ship 2 booms needed new firewalls and the port boom will require an extension to make up for the nacelle area that was donated to ship 1.

Test fit shows the same ugly gaps ,as if I was expecting something different!

Finish sanded ship 1 and its real close to being 'paint' ready